Die, die, must try! -- Eating outside Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some suggestions for KUL:
    BB Hailan Chicken Rice - off Bukit Bintang, near BB Plaza [thanks to SQFG for directing me there]
    Muk Koot Tea - can't remember the actual name of the restaurant, but it serves pretty good buk kut teh and is located on the road behind Jalan Imbi where a whole heap of Chinese restaurants are. Staff wear yellow tshirts bearing the words 'Muk Koot Tea.'

Both outlets seem to serve pretty small sizes - had to order seconds every time.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 August 2007, 02:41 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by cawhite View Post
      I've been meaning to update this thread since someone recently asked me about pizza in Chicago...

For "deep dish pizza" the local recommendation is definitely Pizzeria Due (619 N. Wabash) or Pizzeria Uno (29 E. Ohio). (Note, this does NOT include the Uno franchises you'll find elsewhere in Chicago & the Midwest, you'll be disappointed.)

For thin crust pizza, Lou Malnati's is a good choice (various locations through Chicagoland). We've also had some very good thin crust pizza at Barnaby's which is very close to ORD.
      OK, being from Chicago I'd have to disagree. Giordano's in Oak Brook has to take it. As for "thin crust," you'll have to explain to me what that is...I'm not familiar with that term...

OH, as for the crushed red peppers...I vote for crushed thai chilies instead...
      HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        OK, being from Chicago I'd have to disagree. Giordano's in Oak Brook has to take it. As for "thin crust," you'll have to explain to me what that is...I'm not familiar with that term...

OH, as for the crushed red peppers...I vote for crushed thai chilies instead...
        Giordano's is known for their stuffed crust pizza, which is slightly different from deep dish.
        Last edited by cawhite; 14 August 2007, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cawhite View Post
          Giordano's is known for their stuffed crust pizza, which is slightly different from deep dish.
          Hmmm...don't know what you had at Giordano's but the look and feel is EXTREMELY close to Uno's.

http://www.giordanos.com/main.php

Hey, everyone's taste differs. I was just adding my opinion. Totally respect yours as Uno's is quite good as well...ONLY in Chicago, though. Gino's East South of Water Tower Place (the shopping center) is also good (just don't get the sausage)...
          HUGE AL

Comment

• Hmmmm world famous stuffed pizza.

Comment

• Shanghai

Modern french:
              Sens et Bund 18 on the Bund

Fusion:
              M on the Bund 5 on the Bund

Chinese:
              Zen Xintiandi
              And dozens of cheap and cheerful hole in the wall places around the British concession, off Nanjing Rd, as well as Old Town (sorry I can't remember names)

AVOID: Jean Georges Shanghai 3 on the Bund - overrated food, lacklustre service, horrid decor
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Thanks, KeithMEL. First post updated.

I heartily second cawhite's recommendation about Gibsons in Chicago. (Best steak I've had, but check it in case you order it medium rare. They might be less careful on a busy night, and give you a medium steak instead. The martinis -- straight up -- were awesome.)
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  I heartily second cawhite's recommendation about Gibsons in Chicago. (Best steak I've had, but check it in case you order it medium rare. They might be less careful on a busy night, and give you a medium steak instead. The martinis -- straight up -- were awesome.)
                  Agreed! I don't eat much meat. But the steak at Gibsons is excellent. Another good sign is the fact that the spinach and broccoli were not overcooked (like in too many restaurants I had been to).

Of course, for SQTalkers who wants to be hip and bee seen, the bar is the place. But for me it's the law in Chicago for still allowing smoking in the bar is really downgrade the points. And, the straight up martini was awesome! (As you can see, I use a singular, because I had only one, not like Sir Green Traitors. )

Comment

• Originally posted by CGK View Post
                    And, the straight up martini was awesome! (As you can see, I use a singular, because I had only one, not like Sir Green Traitors. )
                    Wimp. MAN Flyer, where were you? Fortunately, another, CVG-based SQTalker could keep up with me.

P.S. My libel lawyers will be in touch regarding the Green Traitor slander.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Chicago: Uncle Julio's

I must say the Mexican food here was delicious. Here are the sample...

Comment

• Agree on Gibsons. Great steaks. The size of some of the portions, however... I suggest you take a few friends with you.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        Fortunately, another, CVG-based SQTalker could keep up with me.
                        It wasn't always easy... Then again, I wasn't the one falling asleep in my chair later in the evening (and blaming it on "jetlag").

Comment

• Chicago: Conrad's Samosa

Mini samosa served with yogourt sauce and something chutney (?).
                          Excellent...

Last edited by CGK; 11 December 2007, 07:17 AM. Reason: I thought I posted in the correct thread, must be the Mod in full force at the moment...

Comment

• Heaven on Seven

Brunch at Heaven on Seven in Chicago. Very good. It's New Orleans style. The menu can be seen here. The restaurant claims that they have all the hottest chilli in the world. But I doubt they have KrisChilli.

Here are some pictures (my apology to phaleesy, jhm and jjpb3 for canceling meals photo opt! )

It's amazing to find out that one of us ordering salad which has no New Orleans characteristic at all. Should we all slap him for putting an anomaly in this new orleans food pictures?

The main dishes

Soft shell crab

Banana walnut french toast

Comment

• Gibson's in Chicago

Just visited them over Turkey Day and was blown away by the awesome service and great meat (main source is Stockyards). Just be wary of ordering the slice of cake if you don't have at least five people with you.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

• CMB: Beach Wadiya Seafood Restaurant

You have to cross the rail tracks to go there.

The view during the day

Sorry... could not find the picture of chilli crabs...

Comment

Working...
                                X