• Show
Clear All

• ST: The man who obsesses over SIA's inflight meals

http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-...ry_738004.html

The Straits Times
    www.straitstimes.comPublished on Nov 25, 2011

The man who obsesses over SIA's inflight meals

By Myra Martin
    As Singapore Airlines' (SIA) manager of Inflight Services, Mr Hermann Freidanck spearheads the creation of 1,450 different dishes every four months and hones the balance between advance cooking and reheating of meals on board an aeroplane, while also anticipating the drying effects of cabin air which affects people's taste buds.
    No stone is left unturned, right down to the compartmentalised aluminium foil packaging of each dish before it is presented to a passenger on board. In short, Mr Freidanck scrutinises all aspects of food and beverage served on board all of SIA's flights. Even if one passenger is allergic to aluminium foil, as he received an outstanding special request recently, he personally will ensure that a suitable alternative packaging is given instead.
    He has been doing this and more at SIA, for the last 13 years. What distinguishes this 58-year-old German is his knowledge, expertise, systematic delegation, foresight, gumption and a career in hotel management spanning two decades, most of which was spent in Asia.
    That background helps him ensure quality inflight meals that meet the expectations of SIA's clientele, usually comprising 60 per cent foreigners and 40 per cent locals - which makes for a broad spectrum of tastes. Mr Freidanck said that 'everyone is contentious when it comes to specific ideas of how certain dishes should taste' because essentially, as he quipped so succinctly, 'my grandmother does a better char kway teow than yours'. He oversees not just the overall production of meals in Singapore, but also the 53 other catering stations in destinations across 63 cities.

Mr Freidanck smiled wryly when he said he looks forward to Mondays at work. He said: 'My Mondays are spent looking at customers' complaints and feedback.'
    And still, despite all that obsessing, all we get are canned responses. [Pun absolutely intended... ]

Comment

Paging SMK77...

Comment

i could type out an entire essay on how this is "total bull......" but i'll keep my comments to myself.

Comment

On a flight from SYD to SIN in Sept, my special meal request was somewhat incorrectly catered to. I wanted Oriental Vegetarian but as I'm also allergic to wheat products, asked for a SPML request - Oriental Vegetarian No Wheat. But I guess the Indian Call Centre was confused how to cater a SPML and just chose VOML. I got, you guessed it, vegetarian fried (wheat) noodles ! When I complained to the IFS, he carefully wrote down my request and said that he would pass info to SQ for the onward flight which was to BKK a few days later.

I wasn't expecting any miracles but was pleasantly surprised when I received my VOML and gluten free bread at the same time ! Now that was indeed impressive especially for catering by SATS which isn't known for its culinary skills.

I've yet to receive the same type of SPML since.

Comment

Reminds me of a video I watched several months ago:

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
            No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
            I AGREE
            Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Never order BTC! Yesterday I was curious and ordered curry chicken curry for my EWR flight. Simple dish, right? While the curry was passable, the rice itself was not cooked completely through. So disappointing.

Comment

I didn't they had a German gentleman in charge of SQ catering

Ich habe aber schon lange nicht uber das Essen schriftlich geklagt
                Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

I like how they describe him as "obsessing" over the meals. I suspect he might really be obsessing over the cost of the meals lol

Comment

At least now we know who is responsible for an evergreen Btc menu that never seems to change, and for then horrible green curry dish I had to endure from CDg to sin. Now who is accountable for the policy of under or just enough catering in FCL and JCL? :-p
                    Have Passport Will Travel!

Comment

A very long, long time ago, SQ experimented with an expert system (no, not artificial intelligence) to assist the head chef to plan menus for F pax. Because of the number of courses (from starters to desserts to wines) that need to be served, the sources of the food (where the food is uplifted from and what food was available and the know-how to cook it) and the number of flights SQ flew, this was quite a complex task for the chef to plan. He had to do this every few days to ensure there was variety.

It was quite a first (pun intended), in the airline industry for a system like that back in the mid 80s. That was a fun project indeed. I have no idea what they do these days. Yes, cost controls would be right up there especially for Y class.

Comment

Ah the product of obsession, CGK-SIN in J! It was really good, except for the lack of flavour and presentation.

I guess they also decided that the food was so obsessively brilliant there was no longer any need for superfluous things like SALT and PEPPER...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          Ah the product of obsession, CGK-SIN in J! It was really good, except for the lack of flavour and presentation.

I guess they also decided that the food was so obsessively brilliant there was no longer any need for superfluous things like SALT and PEPPER...

The tin bowl on the plate is tacky.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            Paging SMK77...
                            Thank you! That was what I was looking for!

Comment

Working...
                            X