Changes to PPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
    Or that the company you work for is willing to pay for all those J and F sectors.
    As I have mentioned many times, SQ has penalized the individual travellers whose travel is not pad by the company. So now SQ only looks for travellers whose company pays for the trip.
    It used to be a husband and wife living in CGK going to the US twice a year in J class, and get PPS and its benefits. But now the same family would not get those PPS benefits because not enough $$$. And I can assure you the family will go for CX instead.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    Not really. We know CGK flies most of his flights in premium classes, but if you met him casually, there's no way you would think so. He's quite down-to-earth.
    You are too kind, my dear. I am just too shy and innocent!

Comment

Originally posted by ph-ndr View Post
      I second that!

-A
      Hi ph-ndr. Thanks... Long time no see in person. Any trip soon to Asia or pacific Northwest? Or even just a meeting at SKL?

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
      [b]
      * So doing all those flights and sectors that you do in F, J and the odd Y (that everyone here knows about) isn't screaming just that?
      As you mentioned earlier, I recalled about LAX staff who mentioned to you about SQ noticing those low fares to get PPS, the PPS sectors/miles real measurement is sectors/miles, no $$$ amount. Each QPP has his/her own way to earn that 25 sectors (This is the usual easy way to qualify, right?). One can fly just once in a round-the-world ticket. One can do can do couple of special lower J/F tickets. One can qualify due to those Kangaroo route biz trip. In short, each QPP has "secret" $$$ amount.

With the new proposed qualification, then it's clearly a QPP is someone who spend at least SGD25K or more. In the "old" PPS, someone can get PPS for much less than that amount. That's why I said there is no more dynamics in the new PPS Club. Just flaunting your $$$ for everyone else to see.

I must say that I was hoping that SQ/PPS management was to modify the previous PPS sectors/miles requalification. The data for couple years can tell the average of PPS flyers earned within the period of requalification. Some would have just around 25 PPS sectors, some would be around 35, etc etc, and some would be more than 150. By looking at those numbers, I am sure the decision makers can have a cutting point where they can reduce the number of PPS which they claimed now too many around.

Do a subset for very short-haul PPS like the SIN-CGK flyers. Change the earning sectors there. But again, the milk has spilled. Nothing we can do about it. PPS with that $$$ amount would have more headache for calculating the $$$ amount for mixed airlines. And a suggestion by someone to count 618 ticket would create big loopholes. Imagine a tix 618 with just CGK-SIN as first segment and the rest is on other airlines!

Anyway, as others have mentioned about higher fares on SQ and big devaluation in miles redemption, certainly I agree with others who say that there is no need for them to go out their way just to take SQ.
      Last edited by CGK; 11 March 2007, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK
        ......I must say that I was hoping that SQ/PPS management was to modify the previous PPS sectors/miles requalification. The data for couple years can tell the average of PPS flyers earned within the period of requalification. Some would have just around 25 PPS sectors, some would be around 35, etc etc, and some would be more than 150. By looking at those numbers, I am sure the decision makers can have a cutting point where they can reduce the number of PPS which they claimed now too many around.....
        That's a more rational way to "thin down" the PPS rank.

Originally posted by CGK
        .......And a suggestion by someone to count 618 ticket would create big loopholes. Imagine a tix 618 with just CGK-SIN as first segment and the rest is on other airlines! .....
        It is not a suggestion. It is an observation of technical reality based on UA's GS program. It is very difficult to track revenue by segment when you have interlining. No, I don't like this idea at all.

BTW, I have an opposite problem, I have quite a few sectors flown on SQ but on 988 (OZ) tickets. Those revenue wouldn't have been counted under this scenario.
        Last edited by TerryK; 11 March 2007, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
          That's a more rational way "thin down" the PPS rank.

It is not a suggestion. It is an observation of technical reality based on UA's GS program. It is very difficult to track revenue by segment when you have interlining. BTW, I have an opposite problem, I have quite a few sectors flown on SQ but on 988 (OZ) tickets. Those sectors wouldn't have been counted under this scenario.
          Yes, now I remember about UGS. Unfortunately, my premium UA flights mostly are in 618 ticket stock. Thus, not screaming $$$ on UA. But I have seen many bad apples of those UGS in my flights. Not a pretty sight, I must say. And yeah, in general, SQ flyers are the best.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            Not really. We know CGK flies most of his flights in premium classes, but if you met him casually, there's no way you would think so. He's quite down-to-earth.
            Originally posted by ph-ndr View Post
            I second that!
            I third that most emphatically.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
              Hi ph-ndr. Thanks... Long time no see in person. Any trip soon to Asia or pacific Northwest? Or even just a meeting at SKL?
              I was eagerly awaiting anyone to ahve news on the rumour of SIN-NBO, as I need to be in NBO, which again is very out of your way. I also have somone very eager to get me to YVR, but apart from the NBO-thing its very unlikely I get to go far untill sept/oct.

But then again, a rental car and a late summer photo tour of YVR and surrounding locales are very tempting as usual.

-A

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                Yes, now I remember about UGS. Unfortunately, my premium UA flights mostly are in 618 ticket stock. Thus, not screaming $$$ on UA. But I have seen many bad apples of those UGS in my flights. Not a pretty sight, I must say. And yeah, in general, SQ flyers are the best.
                It would make sense for SQ to raise the current sectors/miles qualification requirements and allows revenue as an additional qualification criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                  It would make sense for SQ to raise the current sectors/miles qualification requirements and allows revenue as an additional qualification criteria.
                  That's our point of view. But as the rumours hinted, those rise in sectors/miles approach was not favoured by the so called think-tank (hope this is the correct spelling and term to use) of SQ frequent flyer/premium pax service department. $$$ is what they see concretely without thinking about how the current flyers have helped building very strong trickle down effects on SQ networks and marketing, directly or indirectly.

Comment

I've discussed with StarG about this issue a while ago, since this rumor has been circulating underground for a while already... but I've come to the following likely scenarios which I think SQ will do to change PPS:

1st one, which I personally think is most likely and makes the most sense, is that SQ would not change PPS Club as it is right now, but instead add a new unpublished tier like UA UGS or CX Diamond Plus program. However, this would eventually devalue PPS to the point that it'll become useless, like UA 1K. The benefit of doing this is that SQ will not upset too many of its existing customers (the ones who don't surf online looking for FF information all the time), as they would have no idea the new tier exists (you'd be surprised at how many UA mileage plus members have no clue that UGS exists). The benefit though is that they can focus more resources on this new group of people. The other benefit is that they would not need to publish a guideline on how this new super elite tier will be calculated and just say that it is by invitation only, and limit the number of people as they see fit (UA limits it to the top % of fliers by country and the $ amount varies year to year). This would also make sense of get rid of LPPS, as existing LLPS members would probably get lifetime status in this super tier..

2nd scenario would be that they might change it so that people in certain countries require more sectors to requalify. SIN and CGK based members might require 50 sectors to qualify, whereas other countries will remain at 25. This would be similar to what LH and BA does, which give different requirements depending on where you live. However, one concern will be people who change their address to bypass this, although I don't think it will be too many people outside of SQT, FT, etc..

Last scenario would be that they overhaul PPS completely using a revenue based system as talked about here by this thread. There will however be significant challenges in doing this. SQ will need to disclose how they calculate the revenue so that existing PPS members in order to minimize confusion. As mentioned, it will be difficult for SQ to calculate non SQ stock ticket revenue, RTW tickets, etc. Calculating ticket revenue is a black art that usually only airline account departments can decipher and there will be countless people who will complain that they were shortchanged by SQ, etc..
                    A lot of frequent travellers who fly on short haul routes will also not make the cut, and someone who only flies one F class roundtrip from the US a year might make it. It will be hard for SQ to justify someone who travels with them only once a year, is more valuable than someone who travels monthly between SIN-HKG in J. I predict if this model is indeed the one that SQ chooses, they will end up with a lot of PPS members based in the US and Europe, and very few left in Asia. It is also likely though, that they might introduce a combination of this scenario and the 2nd scenario, so that different country members will have different $ thresholds.

These are just some thoughts I randomly put together.. feel free to discuss..
                    Last edited by tfung; 11 March 2007, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGK View Post
                      I guess I am still too thick in my food diet for asian taste.
                      Food diet! Hmmm, is there any other kind of diet too?

Comment

• Originally posted by AJLondon View Post
                        Food diet! Hmmm, is there any other kind of diet too?
                        I have my dot dot dot diet as well at the moment...

Comment

• Originally posted by tfung View Post
                          This would also make sense of get rid of LPPS, as existing LLPS members would probably get lifetime status in this super tier..

Originally posted by tfung View Post
                          1st one, which I personally think is most likely and makes the most sense, is that SQ would not change PPS Club as it is right now, but instead add a new unpublished tier like UA UGS or CX Diamond Plus program. However, this would eventually devalue PPS to the point that it'll become useless, like UA 1K. The benefit of doing this is that SQ will not upset too many of its existing customers (the ones who don't surf online looking for FF information all the time), as they would have no idea the new tier exists (you'd be surprised at how many UA mileage plus members have no clue that UGS exists). The benefit though is that they can focus more resources on this new group of people. The other benefit is that they would not need to publish a guideline on how this new super elite tier will be calculated and just say that it is by invitation only, and limit the number of people as they see fit (UA limits it to the top % of fliers by country and the $ amount varies year to year).
                          A new elite tier level would again devalue further PPS. And yes, it would be business travellers with big budget travel would benefit from this new status.

2nd scenario would be that they might change it so that people in certain countries require more sectors to requalify. SIN and CGK based members might require 50 sectors to qualify, whereas other countries will remain at 25. This would be similar to what LH and BA does, which give different requirements depending on where you live. However, one concern will be people who change their address to bypass this, although I don't think it will be too many people outside of SQT, FT, etc..
                          I must say if this scenario is taken by SQ, may be the same qualification sectors across the world between 40 and 50 sectors, and reducing the sectors earned for such short-hauler SIN-CGK or other less than 999 miles.
                          But again, it looks like SQ will go for the last scenario.

Last scenario would be that they overhaul PPS completely using a revenue based system as talked about here by this thread. There will however be significant challenges in doing this. SQ will need to disclose how they calculate the revenue so that existing PPS members in order to minimize confusion. As mentioned, it will be difficult for SQ to calculate non SQ stock ticket revenue, RTW tickets, etc. Calculating ticket revenue is a black art that usually only airline account departments can decipher and there will be countless people who will complain that they were shortchanged by SQ, etc..
                          A lot of frequent travellers who fly on short haul routes will also not make the cut, and someone who only flies one F class roundtrip from the US a year might make it. It will be hard for SQ to justify someone who travels with them only once a year, is more valuable than someone who travels monthly between SIN-HKG in J. I predict if this model is indeed the one that SQ chooses, they will end up with a lot of PPS members based in the US and Europe, and very few left in Asia. It is also likely though, that they might introduce a combination of this scenario and the 2nd scenario, so that different country members will have different $ thresholds.
                          The most probable mixed scenario would be a choice between the new enhanced PPS sectors and revenue based in order to qualify for PPS. But again, the strongest rumours is heading towards revenue based only. Hmm About 30 roundtrips CGK-SIN-CGK to qualify for PPS in a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGK View Post
                            A new elite tier level would again devalue further PPS. And yes, it would be business travellers with big budget travel would benefit from this new status.
                            yeah.. of course.. but would you rather be a devalued PPS member or just a regular KF member? haha... CX has Diamond Plus, UA has UGS, BA has Premier.. sure, PPS might be devalued, but then it gives SQ what it wants without upsetting existing members too much.. a defined high revenue customer group, where they can spend their resources on.. not just the ones who travel a lot.. I would prefer this option rather than SQ just saying $25k cut off, and anyone below that gets downgraded to KF.

Comment

• Actually I am not fond of the other elite level above PPS. Well after all, I am just a commoner. Definitely, disagree with revenue based qualification. Thus, I would rather see PPS being redone in terms of higher PPS sectors qualification. It seems too easy to get 25 sectors in a year. And restructured the miles based calculations that determined the sectors. Perhaps SIN-CGK just get .5 sectors in C.

Comment

• Originally posted by tfung View Post
                                yeah.. of course.. but would you rather be a devalued PPS member or just a regular KF member? haha... CX has Diamond Plus, UA has UGS, BA has Premier.. sure, PPS might be devalued, but then it gives SQ what it wants without upsetting existing members too much.. a defined high revenue customer group, where they can spend their resources on.. not just the ones who travel a lot.. I would prefer this option rather than SQ just saying $25k cut off, and anyone below that gets downgraded to KF.
                                UA GS is not totally based on revenue. One can be nominated to UGS without spending. United Sales gives the status as corporate incentives.
                                EMC is one such company whose Travel Managers receives a set number annually to be given to EMC Executives and Top Management.

Many 1K had written United pointing out 1K can only be earned by spending & UGS can be earned without spending and made their displeasure known being downgraded .Thus UA in 2007 is making effort to elevate the 1K status.
                                Boarding with UGS.No fees.The benefit differences between UGS & 1K is getting narrower.
                                Last edited by yyzprincess; 11 March 2007, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X