Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topping Up Miles for an Upgrade Reward

From the KF website :
    If you have at least 50% of the KrisFlyer miles required to redeem for an award ticket, you may purchase the additional miles required to top-up your KrisFlyer account at US$40 (or the local currency equivalent) per block of 1,000 miles, using your credit card.
    You can purchase the top-up miles while you are making your online redemption booking. The purchase is effected immediately if the transaction is done online.

Firstly I noted that you now only need 50% (used to be 70% ?)
    Secondly, does the underlined sentence mean that you can purchase extra miles during an online upgrade and get the benefit of the 15% online redemption discount? I'm sure I was previously told that if you need to purchase extra miles, you cannot get the 15% discount. The question relates to getting upgrades, not reward tickets.

TIA for any info.

Originally posted by rasmus View Post
    ...US$40 (or the local currency equivalent) per block of 1,000 miles...
    WOW, that's some pricy miles!
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by rasmus View Post
      From the KF website :
      If you have at least 50% of the KrisFlyer miles required to redeem for an award ticket, you may purchase the additional miles required to top-up your KrisFlyer account at US$40 (or the local currency equivalent) per block of 1,000 miles, using your credit card.
      You can purchase the top-up miles while you are making your online redemption booking. The purchase is effected immediately if the transaction is done online.

Firstly I noted that you now only need 50% (used to be 70% ?)
      Secondly, does the underlined sentence mean that you can purchase extra miles during an online upgrade and get the benefit of the 15% online redemption discount? I'm sure I was previously told that if you need to purchase extra miles, you cannot get the 15% discount. The question relates to getting upgrades, not reward tickets.

TIA for any info.
      Yes, you need only 50% of the miles required then you are entitled to top up miles for an award flight.

If you are doing an upgrade (Economy to J or J to F), when topping up the miles, there will be no 15% discount.

If you are doing an award redemption (ie not upgrade), when topping up the miles, there will be a 15% discount.

Comment

I think there are less expensive miles for topping up miles. A regular AMEX membership with the option to purchase and transfer Membership Reward points is one...

SQ's option is only good for very last minute purchases but the pricing is very prohibitive... Think 4 US-Cents and 2 Mio miles for Suites. That's a whopping 80.000 USD...

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
          Yes, you need only 50% of the miles required then you are entitled to top up miles for an award flight.

If you are doing an upgrade (Economy to J or J to F), when topping up the miles, there will be no 15% discount.

If you are doing an award redemption (ie not upgrade), when topping up the miles, there will be a 15% discount.
          Thank you for a very precise answer to my query.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            WOW, that's some pricy miles!
            It's been that level for quite a while, though. It's an option when you really want to secure an award seat and don't have other channels for the shortfall.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              It's been that level for quite a while, though. It's an option when you really want to secure an award seat and don't have other channels for the shortfall.
              One learns something new on this Board all the time.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
              X