Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-JFK-SIN with KF miles + lowest cost possible

Hi Guys,

I'd like to take a trip to New York this end of year.
    I have 68000 miles on my normal blue Krisflyer card, which I believe is just enough for a return trip on economy saver. However, the saver seats are fully booked as usual and I read that being put on the wait list is just pointless.
    68000 miles is also just enough for a 1-way ticket to JFK on economy standard which is available.

I'd like to seek advice from the veterans here on the cheapest fares to travel to New York while using my Krisflyer miles.
    I want to depart SG on 22Dec and depart NY on 31Dec to reach SG on 2Dec.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can try to use combination of *A carriers such as NH, OZ, CA, UA, AC, LH, TK or even also SQ to make the available seat combination from SIN to NYC.
    For example: SIN-NRT-JFK with NH or UA, SIN-ICN-JFK with OZ, SIN-PEK-JFK with CA, SIN-FRA-JFK with LH, SIN-IST-JFK with TK, or combination of them, SIN-HKG-ICN-JFK-NRT- SIN with SQ, OZ, NH and UA, etc...
    Indeed for *A booking you don't get 15% discount and pay for 80,000mile.
    But you can buy the 12,000miles discrepancy on the price of USD40 per 1,000miles block, it equals to USD480.
    That's my 2 cents thought....

Comment

Redeeming on the SIN-FRA-JFK route always seems a problem for saver awards. I have managed it once, but all other times I have been WL with ultimately no success at getting a ticket.

You might want to consider, however, if redeeming on this route is really worthwhile. It is not, what I call, an "intelligent use of airmiles". Please consider

- this route is served with one of SQs oldest planes (the 747). It is rather uncomfortable in Y, the screens are small and often have distorted pictures. For this SQ charge a large premium over other carriers.

- you still have to pay the taxes and surcharges which are inexplicably in excess of S$600 (far more than other airlines)

- you can pick up other *A tickets at a much cheaper cost than SQ. I recently booked a ticket SIN-NRT-EWR-PEK-SIN for similar dates to yours using UA from SIN-NRT, CO from NRT to EWR, CO again from EWR-PEK and then SQ from PEK-SIN. Travel time is identical, and the airticket was $1000 cheaper than SQ at S$1770 all in. I booked this via www.zuji.com.sg

- if you consider that you would have to pay $600 taxes and US$480 to upgrade your points, the price difference is about S$520. For this you would use 68,000 of your precious airmiles.

- My recommendation to you is to check out available fares using www.skyscanner.net and then see if it is really worth redeeming for this trip or to save your airmiles for something more financially better.

Cheers
      Neil

Comment

Originally posted by barbene View Post
        Redeeming on the SIN-FRA-JFK route always seems a problem for saver awards. I have managed it once, but all other times I have been WL with ultimately no success at getting a ticket.

You might want to consider, however, if redeeming on this route is really worthwhile. It is not, what I call, an "intelligent use of airmiles". Please consider

- this route is served with one of SQs oldest planes (the 747). It is rather uncomfortable in Y, the screens are small and often have distorted pictures. For this SQ charge a large premium over other carriers.

- you still have to pay the taxes and surcharges which are inexplicably in excess of S$600 (far more than other airlines)

- you can pick up other *A tickets at a much cheaper cost than SQ. I recently booked a ticket SIN-NRT-EWR-PEK-SIN for similar dates to yours using UA from SIN-NRT, CO from NRT to EWR, CO again from EWR-PEK and then SQ from PEK-SIN. Travel time is identical, and the airticket was $1000 cheaper than SQ at S$1770 all in. I booked this via www.zuji.com.sg

- if you consider that you would have to pay $600 taxes and US$480 to upgrade your points, the price difference is about S$520. For this you would use 68,000 of your precious airmiles.

- My recommendation to you is to check out available fares using www.skyscanner.net and then see if it is really worth redeeming for this trip or to save your airmiles for something more financially better.

Cheers
        Neil
        Great advice.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X