Making Use of 140k SQ Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Use of 140k SQ Miles

Long story, I happen to have 140k SQ miles in my account and those expire IIRC around April, 2011. I know that I have a short window in which as a non-status member I could extend them.

At one point I figured I would use them as follows... used to be that SQ would release a single F seat per flight JFK-FRA-SIN and also LAX-NRT-SIN to their Star partners, and this availability really wasn't hard to come by 8-11 months in advance.

And SQ would frequently release TWO seats to their own members on such flights.

So I figured I'd grab one seat with partner miles and top off my SQ account to grab a second seat.

Of course, the SQ world changed and partner seats from North America to Asia became much much more difficult to obtain, especially with United, Aeroplan, and US Airways miles.

So then I thought, hey I've got these miles anyway and they'll eventually expire so maybe I could still grab 2 F seats with them provided I transferred a ton of miles over from my American Express Membership Rewards account. But voila -- most dates I'm seeing a single F seat on JFK-FRA-SIN and LAX-NRT-SIN but when I ask the system for 2 seats I get a returned 'on waitlist' every time. I've searched a couple of months 7-8 months out and haven't come up with anything.

So does KF no longer release much F to their own members as well on the old 747s?

Any reasonable change to use these miles towards F, North America to Asia, before they expire? And if that sort of redemption isn't in the cards, any suggestions on best use of he 140k that are there (or with some modest top-up)?

Thanks,
    Gary

Good to see you swinging this way from TOF, gleff - two suggestions I'd keep in mind in your case...

1) Call up Krisflyer with the dates you want to book way this far in advance and tell them it's for two people and if they can 'do anything about it'. They can, in all likelihood, get that done for you so long as you're redeeming KF miles.

2) Be aware that the SQ trend is to release availability only at the very last possible minute, up to 48 hours out from departure. No doubt to maximise potential revenue earn.

Thus, call up KF and rant that you can't ever get availability for two no matter how hard you try, yada yada...

Comment

So your suggestion then is to top up the account to 360k miles for 2x F LAX-NRT-SIN and v.v. (obviously won't get the 15% online discount) and plead with an agent? Wow, things really are different in SQ-land

Comment

Well, if it was me I'd probably try to at least get some sort of a verbal confirmation from KF first (yes, by 'pleading', if need be). One way may be by advising the agent that whoever you're travelling with also has a very healthy KF-mileage balance and would like to book together with you simultaneously, and would SQ be so kind as to open up 2x F award availabilities etc.

There have been some interesting developments in SQ-land of late, for sure

Will let the others respond now

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          Well, if it was me I'd probably try to at least get some sort of a verbal confirmation from KF first (yes, by 'pleading', if need be).
          This works?

I tried when I was looking for LAX - NRT - SIN, had 1 confirmed booking and was told that waitlist is closed (period). Pleaded that my SO needs a redemption ticket on the same flight in F too, and I got nothing. I waitlisted for 2 F (saver) awards for the day after and both cleared at the same time (exactly 1 week before departure date). Ok, mine were not waaay before the flight, just couple of weeks (since I have very flexible dates and can virtually book today and fly tomorrow), so it might be different from gleff's scenario.

Comment

Not only is your scenario different, fone, it is entirely arbitrary and up to SQ's decision to release another seat or not. Rest assured, if they can sell it off at full price, they'd do that over letting someone redeem it. gleff's dates may be far ahead but gleff does not mention what they are - and they could be a peak period, perhaps even a local holiday either end, and that will well impact their decision to release it or not, in my opinion. One thing is for certain, they are prepared to wait up to the 'last minute' on many occassions, hoping for that last-minute purchaser who pays full fare. Redemptions are often the last possible alternative for SQ. KF redeemers with no SQ status, i.e. being at the bottom of the food chain, don't have a chance to call their friendly PPS co-ordinator to push matters, so often, their only alternative is to push the KF call centre repeatedly.

Disclaimer: Since the decisions by SQ are arbitrary, my above hypothesis is, at best, merely a theory based on anecdotal evidence/experiences

Comment

Not that I can much to what Kyo+ has said, but welcome anyway Gary. Good to see you over here!

Comment

PM me... I may have something we can discuss!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Not that I can much to what Kyo+ has said, but welcome anyway Gary. Good to see you over here!
                  +1

Welcome to the Dark Side!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                  X