Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Upgrade Redemption [waitlist, topping up]

Hello,
    Have been lurking around for a while, and have enjoyed reading the posts, and gathering very helpful information. A couple of questions regarding making an upgrade redemption.

My parents and I (3 ppl) are confirmed on SQ12 on 9 July 2010 (business class). Am trying to upgrade to First, but am told by the KF customer service that there is only 1 Saver Award available, and would have to waitlist 2 persons. In your experience, what are the chances of the waitlist being confirmed (as I'm not too keen on splitting us up but may just do so since we've never tried first and also have miles expiring).

Also, as my parents do not have enough miles (short of a couple of hundred based on 15% online discount), I was told that an online redemption cannot be made and a redemption based on the full no. of saver miles (w/o discount) would have to be made and the balance miles topped up. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to SQTalk

Which sector(s) of SQ12 are you flying SQ12 SIN-LAX or SIN-NRT or NRT-LAX?

3 savers are very very very hard to come by especially in F but you never know.

What you were told is true. But you can always buy the miles now. Since they are only a couple hundred short, buying 1,000 for US$40 would suffice.

Comment

Agreed with 9V-JKL. I think your chances of 3 F saver tickets are slim indeed...

Comment

Thanks Kyo and 9V-JKL. We're flying from SIN to LAX. I did ask if we could do a "partial" upgrade from either SIN to NRT or NRT to LAX but was told that's not possible since our booking is SIN to LAX.

Oh well, guess I'd let the folks decide whether we should split up and "visit" each other

Comment

Originally posted by sqprincess View Post
          Thanks Kyo and 9V-JKL. We're flying from SIN to LAX. I did ask if we could do a "partial" upgrade from either SIN to NRT or NRT to LAX but was told that's not possible since our booking is SIN to LAX.....
          You can upgrade by segment if you split up your commercial booking into SIN-NRT-LAX instead of SIN-LAX. SQ would not do it, but some TAs will do it for you, especially for paid C fares.

Comment

Success!

Thanks to SQTalkers for helping.

Thought I'd post an update for your info.

Short version: I managed to secure 3 Saver upgrades to F, for the same flight

Long version: Initially secured 1 upgrade only in late June. Was told that there is no waitlist, but the officer kindly advised me to check again a couple of days prior to the flight as they "sometimes" open up the seats. Checked again last weekend, still no availability. Checked yesterday and lo and behold, there were 2 seats on Saver available!

Looking forward to it, as this will be our first time on F

Comment

Excellent! Happy for you and your parents!

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to report back! That's useful to know but for most I'd say they wouldn't want to wait until T-48...

Will definitely keep this in mind. Hope you stay and enjoy the forums...

Comment

Nice that you got 3 seats, I got 2 F seats for LAX - NRT - SIN via redemption and called KF to get it ticketed (2 seperate KF accounts but same flight) and got surprised on board with a cake, they thought we were having some anniversary or honeymoon (we were having none of that, just wanted to try the skysuites for the first time). LAX - NRT was half full for the F cabin while NRT - SIN had the F cabin full, so I guess we were quite lucky to get the F seats since one of the legs was almost full.

Comment

I am back from my trip and really enjoyed the F experience generally (save that I was quite disappointed with the BTC lobster ex-NRT, which did not look as nice as the lobster ex-SIN which my mum had, and which I thought did not even match the slipper lobster I had last year in J from SIN to CDG (on the A380) in terms of taste and size.

F from SIN-NRT was full (although I think 2 passengers work in SQ cos they had some nametags clipped to their jackets and didn't get any PJs or toiletries). The NRT-LAX leg was pretty empty, only my family (3) and 2 others.

Flew back via SFO on J (SQ1). Experience was only OK (maybe due to a rather full flight) but again, was let down by the BTC guinea fowl ex-SFO (which I swear was just a chicken breast!!!). The accompanying side ravioli was more delicious in fact.

And yes, I was actually flying in and out of YVR and had to take extra flights due to SQ not flying there any longer.

Have enjoyed the trip reports on the forum very much, and will try to see whether I can muster up the energy to do a mini one

Comment

Originally posted by sqprincess View Post
                      will try to see whether I can muster up the energy to do a mini one
                      Please do

Comment

Working...
                      X