Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is smart to join the three major FF Alliances!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is smart to join the three major FF Alliances!

All the major alliances have strenghs and weaknesses in different regions. I have adopted the strategy of joining the three major alliances so that I accumulate points on most air travel. My rule is to try and gain some points on every transaction. In most cases I can double dip by using my Krisflyer Credit Card.

The problem I found is that in many developing countries they is little choice chosing airlines. Take India for instance. Air India is aligned with SQ *A, Kingfisher is aligned with Emirates (Sky Team) and Jet is aligned with QANTAS (one World) and Emirates (Sky Team). On many occassions I have a choice of only one airline for a domestic trip.

From India it is easier to take Emirates or BA flight to London rather than *A flight to Frankfurt. The Virgin Atlantic (Aligned *A) flight DEL LHR is problematic from AMD. Whislt *A is better for travelling to Germany.

In China *A dominates followed by Sky Team and One World has little presence.

In Australia the QANTAS Frequent Flyer program dominates the market with a major supermarket chain/department storce providing on FF mile for every dollar spent over $30 plus a discount of 4 cents per litre on petrol. Double dipping allows FF miles to accumulate on Krisflyer Card, QANTAS points for food stuffs and cheaper petrol

The same is the case for hotel chains with different alliances partnering with different chains. Yet again it is not always possible or economical to always stay with preferred alliance groups partner hotel chain.

I have decided that the smartest thing is to joint the three major alliances. I am a member of SQ, QANTAS and EMIRATES frequent flyer programs. Although I favour one FF program the others accumulate points and tick over nicely.

QANTAS allows low level redemptions for products from their partners such as gift vouchers, wine, move tickets. Moverer they have over 400 partners and points can be earnt when renewing yearly travel insurance etc which unable with other programs.

It is also possible to take advantage of credit card situation with some airlines offering free fee credit cards that allow increased FFP when booking.

What do other frequent flyers do with respent to alliances. Are you all die hard *A members or do you belong to more than one alliance?

I really don't think EK is part of SkyTeam, maybe you are thinking of Skywards (it's FFP)?
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

EK is not in Skyteam and VS is not in Star Alliance.

Comment

I have all 3 alliances...

1. Oneworld under American Airlines. I'm a 2 million-miler, which means that I am AAdvantage Platinum for life, or Oneworld Sapphire. So whenever I take any Oneworld flight anywhere in the world except USA, I get lounge access, priority baggage handling.

2. Star Alliance under British Midland. Since BD's threshold are quite low, its easy for me to maintain Gold. I'm also *A Gold with Lufthansa's Senator status. Being *G helps with the extra 20kg / or piece baggage, & lounge access.

3. SkyTeam under KLM/AF. I only maintain my Flying Blue Silver status by flying at least 15 segments a year cos under this programme I get to take 2 pieces of bags at 23kg each. Of course its only good for KL/AF flights, but as my travels are mainly to/from Norway, Germany, UK via Netherlands, this programme suits me fine.

I'm also Privilege Club Silver with Qatar Airways too. Great to get lounge access (though its pretty pathetic at times), priority boarding / seating.. and the occasional op up!

Comment

Working...
        X