Expenditure per now defunct Sector Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expenditure per now defunct Sector Point

With my regular flying (which is still generally less than many on this website and that includes Asiacommuter ), I was accumulating a reasonable amount of PPSValue. On reflection, I found that I would have requalified a month back if it was based on the old sector point system.

My accumulation ratio comparing PPSValue to Equivalent Sector Points would have been about $750 PPSValue to one sector Point. That means to get 25 sector points, I will need just above $18,750 expenditure. For me to obtain a renewal I will need to cough up an additional SGD 6,250 excluding taxes and surcharges under the PPSValue scheme.

GAIN:

I guessed looking at the benefits I have gotten since the changeover to PPSValue are about 3 upgrades to FC. I did not get any upgrade prior to this changeover as QPPS. But it is disputable whether these upgrades were due wholly to reduction in PPS Numbers after the changes.

LOSSES:

Not being able to use the Silver Kris FC Lounge for about 2.5 Years.
    TPPS membership that came in about 1 to 1.5 years later (Guesstimate) as compared to the old scheme.

GAIN TO SQ;

Having to handle only half the number of PPSes. Financial and Logistics advantages. Less PITA PPSes to be handled by crew members.

LOSSES TO SQ:

Equivalent of about SGD 20 K due to either switching to other airlines or not bothered about making another trip. No LPPS to aim for anymore....even though I know I probably won't get it anyway. But was still a figure to aim for nevertheless.

Yeah, for sure more difficult to qualify and more spend required as you comment when compared to the old scheme, with SQ generally nothing in life is free as they say....

The thing that frustrates me, is SQ make their top tier status much harder to reach, yet at the same time still continue their strategy to cut-out real benefits for loyalty. Strange model but I guess thought-patrol in SQ management seem to think it works for them.

Comment

I have been tracking my miles and sectors as per the old system in a spreadsheet.

Had the new management not had their mistaken belief that removing benfits will garner additional loyalty, I would have become LPP by June 2007 (sector count) or by Nov 2007 (miles count).

FWIW, right now I am averaging $0.33/mile and $562/sector for my year 2009-2010. (I requalify on May 1.) The same figures for the previous year were $0.42 and $821. The formula I use is a straighforward one by dividing the miles (150% for first and 125% of actual miles for business) flown by the PPS value spent in that period. Though I have flown more in the current year, it must be the fare decrease that have skewed the figures that much.

Comment

Working...
      X