Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard J award flights and sq 322

Greetings SQ talkers
    A long time lurker but first time poster. I usually post on Australian Frequent Flyer but this is very much an SQ question.
    So I've been looking at J reward flights from MEL to LHR and as always with SQ a variety of flight options come up ( compare that to QF!) . However, no matter when I look SQ 322 always seems to be waitlisted for J standard. I am aware this is the overnight service and therefore probably the most popular but has anyone successfully redeemed an award flight in J on SQ 322 or would I be waisting my time even trying.
    No I have no status.
    Yes I really would prefer this flight as the jet lag with Mini Danger (Age 3 1/2) is much better.
    It's also the shortest connection time thru to LHR from MEL
    Kind regards and thanks in advance for you help
    Danger UXB

Hi Danger UXB and welcome to SQTalk - unfortunately with the A380, when redeeming (I presume from KrisFlyer), only Standard and Full award redemptions are available. No Savers as it's an A380 flight.

Comment

Kyo - the OP says a couple of times he is trying to redeem a standard J award, no mention of saver.
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

sqdazz, thanks mate, in that case, the OP's best bet is to keep bugging KF (if that's who he's redeeming through)

Comment

Might I suggest actually WAITLISTING for the flights and seeing what happens?
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Or maybe for a bit more miles you could possibly fly MEL-XXX-FRA-LHR on a variety of airlines in F except for SQ for I assume a similar amount of miles

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and responses guys.
              Yes the redemption is thru KF. I would like to go straight thru to LHR with no stops, again flying with mini Danger it's a sleep thing.
              Here is my dilema.
              I have 3 seats MEL to LHR thru HKG on 24-3-10 all redemption booked thru QF. The leg HKG to LHR is with BA. I have been reading about more strike action, the cabin crew are voting to strike, the vote ends on 22-2-10 with the first possible date for strike being 1-3-10. The union have promised no strike action over easter which leaves me smack bang in the middle.
              So I'm just doing my reasearch. My chances of moving the BA flight to a QF flight with QFF are non existant. Krisflyer have 3 seats in J the same day( thank god these are my last QF points) but not on SQ322. If a strike is called on 22-2-10 then I will need to move fast and therefore waitlisting for 3 days to receive a "no "answer is not an option, but if the waitlist usually results in a yes then SQ 322 would definitely be the choice flight. Hence my question, has anyone actually redeemed successfully on SQ322
              Cheers Danger UXB

Comment

I suspect you are not going to have any joy re SQ 322.

Comment

Thanks I thought so.
                  Just a quick follow up question. Will the online booking engine allow me to book a redemption flight without the points in my account and then give me time to transfer them to my account from my credit card or do I have to make this sort of booking thru the call center? It just crossed my mind to book the flight on the 21-2-10 just incase, then if I don't need it because there is no strike I can cancel it. This way if I cancel my points don't end up with an 18 month expiry and I can still use them whenever I want to
                  Cheers for all the advice
                  Danger UXB

Comment

Originally posted by E-Aviation View Post
                    Or maybe for a bit more miles you could possibly fly MEL-XXX-FRA-LHR on a variety of airlines in F except for SQ for I assume a similar amount of miles
                    The only *A airlines which have F MEL-XXX-FRA-LHR are United (as far as FRA) or United + Lufthansa (again as far as FRA).

Comment

I actually particularly mentioned Frankfurt because of the FCT and I think the Standard J would be similar to a redemption in F on *Alliance with KF.

Comment

You cannot book without the miles.

Comment

Originally posted by hsf View Post
                          You cannot book without the miles.
                          Just to be absolutely correct, you cannot book unless you already have at least 50% of the required miles, and be prepared to pay US$40 per 1000 miles for the shortfall.

Edit to add:

And, it is not possible to pay in cash for the shortfall initially, then transfer the miles from a credit card, and request a refund of the cash used to purchase the miles. At least, not in my experience.

Also, miles recredited to your account if the redemption is cancelled, will retain their original expiry date. The validity of the miles is 3 years, but can be extended up to another year if you have status.

(I sound like a KF textbook )
                          Last edited by SQJunkie; 7 February 2010, 01:56 PM.
                          F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Thanks for that .I was under the impression it was 18 mths. OK transfer and flight booking here we come .Go on strike BA cabin crew and see if I care.
                            Just out of curiosity how late can I cancel the booking and not loose the points
                            Cheers for all the help with this one
                            Danger UXB

Comment

Originally posted by Danger UXB View Post
                              Just out of curiosity how late can I cancel the booking and not loose the points
                              Pretty late, up to 24 hours before departure.
                              Don't forget to give us a TR.
                              F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X