Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid Question on KF's Star Alliance Award Chart (Round-Trip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question on KF's Star Alliance Award Chart (Round-Trip)

So far I've only used my KF points for travel on SQ. I'm thinking of using KF points for SIN-CMN return on TK J. Since this obviously involves 2 flight segments (SIN-IST and IST-CMN), how do I calculate the total number of required points based on the KF Star Alliance Award chart?

Is it simply origin region (SEA1) to destination region (MENA) and therefore 90,000 points?

Or is it (God I hope not) the total of the individual segments (SIN in SEA1 to IST in MENA) + (IST-CMN intra MENA) for a whopping 155,000?

I'm not stopping over in IST, just connecting.

Hi Danny Bhoy,

Your question is not that stupid at all. Actually, I asked a simliar question a while ago over on the Flyertalk Forum:

I am considering booking a redemption flight using KrisFlyer miles on US Airways from Europe to Mexico.

The itinerary however would involve a connection in Philadelphia.

How should I calculate the number of miles needed (Y class)?

Do I need 60.000 miles (Europe - Central America) or do I need to add the two separate segments together (Europe - North America 2 and North America 2 - Central America), which means 50.000 + 35.000 = 85.000 miles?
    This was the answer by chrispstan:

It will be the latter - 85k miles. *A redemption flights are for point-to-point only, unlike oneworld.
    I had hoped that someone else would have advised me of the opposite, but so far no luck....

Comment

Thanks. That sucks like a nuclear-powered Dyson. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by DuMaInSin View Post
        Hi Danny Bhoy,

Your question is not that stupid at all. Actually, I asked a simliar question a while ago over on the Flyertalk Forum:

This was the answer by chrispstan:

I had hoped that someone else would have advised me of the opposite, but so far no luck....
        From my limited experience, it's not working like that.
        Have done South East Asia I to Central America twice in F. First one is SIN-SFO-PHL-SJU-ORD-NRT-SIN with stop over at NRT, the cost is 120,000 miles
        Second one is SIN-FRA-BOS-SJU-IAD-FRA-HKG with stop over at FRA, the cost is also 120,000 miles.
        So, as long as you don't make stop over at North America (Central America destination not allowed to make stop over at North America), the mileage that needed is the sum between sector of origin and sector of destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
          Is it simply origin region (SEA1) to destination region (MENA) and therefore 90,000 points?
          I would say this is correct.

Comment

Looks like I'll have to give KF a call to clear this up then. I was hoping to avoid calling them.

Comment

Just to close the loop on this, it looks like Dent@SUB and hsf are both correct.

I spoke to Krisflyer in S'pore. The CSR (S'porean lady) advised me that as long as the award is on one booking SIN-IST-CMN return, it is counted as 90,000 miles. When the booking is split between e.g. SIN-IST and IST-CMN, then it would be more miles, presumably the 155,000 miles.

For the benefit of other blur sotong noobs like me, according to the CSR, the 90,000 miles in my above example will apply even if the SIN-IST and IST-CMN segments are on different airlines, e.g. SIN-IST on SQ and IST-CMN on TK, as long as they're all done on one booking.
              Last edited by Danny Bhoy; 20 June 2009, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
                For the benefit of other blur sotong noobs like me, according to the CSR, the 90,000 miles in my above example will apply even if the SIN-IST and IST-CMN segments are on different airlines, e.g. SIN-IST on SQ and IST-CMN on TK, as long as they're all done on one booking.
                That is correct. I had 3 airlines on my *A itinerary.

You are also allowed an enroute stopover. So you could stop-over in IST if you wish. In addition, if it falls into the same zone, you can also do an open-jaw

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  That is correct. I had 3 airlines on my *A itinerary.

You are also allowed an enroute stopover. So you could stop-over in IST if you wish. In addition, if it falls into the same zone, you can also do an open-jaw
                  not always must in the same zone. Different zones also permitted, but the highest zone mileage is counted

Comment

Thanks all for clearing this up. That will free up some miles for me and my family that I can use for other purposes then :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X