No announcement yet.

SQ Young Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the passport as well as getting it signed whilst in the cockpit.

Also got one of the SQ logo pins as well as a set of wings.

Also moved to the upper deck once by the staff so that I could look out of the window (not sure why I couldn't in the main cabin).

This would be '90 or '91.

Comment

i think because there wasnt any IFE back then the air stewardesses actually had to be good at taking care of kids. nowadays they placate them with nintendo and shiny things. back then they really had to be creative.

Comment

haha didnt know SQ had such a programme, but was on CX's young discoverer's club. pretty much the same thing, i would always be waiting on the quarterly newsletter and yearly pin/plastic airplane model. my best memories was when i'd ring up the FSS halfway through the flight, show ** log book and have her walk me by hand into the cockpit to have the captain sign and record the miles accrued. such simple pleasures back then! how nostalgic

Comment

heh, traitor from young!

Comment

Badge of Honour

I fondly remember the Young Explorer Club...

If I recall correctly, you needed four sectors to qualify and then they would send you a colorful Welcome Kit. In addition to the passport, which held your Young Explorer Card, my favorite item remains the brass badge.

My favorite experience was a routine visit to the cockpit during a PVG-SIN flight back on the retired A310. I was having so much fun the pilot invited me to stay for the landing into SIN. As a wide-eyed kid, listening to air traffic control guide us in and finally seeing the Changi runway on the horizon was magical!

Comment

Originally posted by Coathanger View Post
              I was having so much fun the pilot invited me to stay for the landing into SIN.
              oh man. it's hard to believe there was a time where that used to be perfectly legal. the romance of flying has gone out with the cavity searches and extreme measures taken post 9/11. better safe than sorry i suppose.

i think i remember the kit they sent every year when you requalified. i'd be waiting anxiously for it even though i knew for sure i already did qualify. there were ranks and i didnt reach master explorer. i got the one just below that. master explorers got a better requalification gift.

Comment

Working...
              X