Flight changes resulting in long layover in SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight changes resulting in long layover in SIN

Hi all, Newbie here. Apologies if I posted this thread under the wrong subforum.

I need some advice. I made a roundtrip economy saver redemption many moons ago, for HKG-SIN-KCH. Unfortunately the SIN-KCH leg (operated by Silkair) is cancelled and I was automatically rebooked on the next flight which leaves SIN the following morning. This results in my layover in SIN being increased from 1.5hr to 15hrs. I phoned up Krisflyer and was told there is nothing they can do about it, as "Singapore Airlines reserve the right to make schedule changes". I would have thought they will at least offer me meal voucher or an accommodation (my layover is between 5pm - 8am). A friend of mine who recently missed the connecting flight to KCH was given meal voucher plus rebooked on another flight via KL arriving KCH just 2hrs later. They agent said as I am holding an award ticket, I do not enjoy the same right as a passenger who hold a revenue ticket. In other words expect nothing and just sit and wait. To add salt to the injury, I was also told that if I were to leave the airport, I will have to pay for the additional airport tax upon re-entering SIN.

I had a look at the SQ website but couldn't find any information about long transit or compensation due to flight cancellation/schedule changes.

I find all these a bit bizzare, at one point I thought I was dealing with Iberia.

Originally posted by Oldwell View Post
    Hi all, Newbie here. Apologies if I posted this thread under the wrong subforum.

I need some advice. I made a roundtrip economy saver redemption many moons ago, for HKG-SIN-KCH. Unfortunately the SIN-KCH leg (operated by Silkair) is cancelled and I was automatically rebooked on the next flight which leaves SIN the following morning. This results in my layover in SIN being increased from 1.5hr to 15hrs. I phoned up Krisflyer and was told there is nothing they can do about it, as "Singapore Airlines reserve the right to make schedule changes". I would have thought they will at least offer me meal voucher or an accommodation (my layover is between 5pm - 8am). A friend of mine who recently missed the connecting flight to KCH was given meal voucher plus rebooked on another flight via KL arriving KCH just 2hrs later. They agent said as I am holding an award ticket, I do not enjoy the same right as a passenger who hold a revenue ticket. In other words expect nothing and just sit and wait. To add salt to the injury, I was also told that if I were to leave the airport, I will have to pay for the additional airport tax upon re-entering SIN.

I had a look at the SQ website but couldn't find any information about long transit or compensation due to flight cancellation/schedule changes.

I find all these a bit bizzare, at one point I thought I was dealing with Iberia.
    I do not know about the compensation rules, but being told that you'll get charged airport tax if you left the airport is patently untrue. If you're holding your onward boarding pass from SIN-KCH, you can walk out of changi (visa requirements, if any, complied with), and pop back in the next morning. Just don't do it until you've gotten the BP.

Comment

If your in the country less than 24 hours and in transit you dont get charged the tax right?

I'm planning to duck out and dont really want anymore suprise costs comming into things.

Comment

Thanks for the tips re airport tax. I'll make sure I get the boarding pass before the immigration. This probably means I have to check through the luggage to KCH and won't be able to retrieve it at SIN? I'm still a bit upset that SQ treated award ticket pax differently from a revenue ticket pax. Oh well, not much I can do I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldwell View Post
          I have to check through the luggage to KCH and won't be able to retrieve it at SIN?
          No, ask them to check it through just to SIN and if asked (although I doubt very much they will), simply say you need to retrieve your toiletries etc required for the night.

Edit: I think the KrisFlyer rep was talking a load of rubbish about physically leaving the airport departure area meaning that you'll have to pay airport tax.

I don't know why SQfg suggested you get your BP before you leave. AFAIK (but I could be wrong - SQfg to elaborate! ), there's nothing to stop you leaving the airport and turning up the next morning at check-in to (i) get your BP; and (ii) check-in your lugggage.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            I don't know why SQfg suggested you get your BP before you leave. AFAIK (but I could be wrong - SQfg to elaborate! ), there's nothing to stop you leaving the airport and turning up the next morning at check-in to (i) get your BP; and (ii) check-in your lugggage.
            It is useful to have the boarding pass so that you can re-enter airside at any time of your choosing, instead of waiting for the landside check in desks to open. Note if you through check bags only to SIN so as to access some contents, and are unable to carry them on, then it is moot because you have to wait for check in to open to redeposit the bags through to KCH.

Comment

Working...
            X