No announcement yet.

PPS club, is it MUCH better than * EG ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPS club, is it MUCH better than * EG ?

Im currently SQ EG, expiring in Sept 09, and need 33K to reqaulify.

In addition to this, I am approx $6K SG away from PPS qualification.

I am about to travel LX (feb) bhx-zch-jnb-cpt-jnb-zch-bhx In C, and grabbing about 10K.

The tough question is this, I also have to travel LHR-SYD in C in april. SQ have flights available, which will not only re-qual my EG status, but qualify me for PPS. However, the fare is only available on 744 products, and NOT on 388.

However, i alternatively have the opportunity to fly VS upper class, (and the flat beds that comes with it !) and get the VS miles instead (which i understand will go onto my SQ account anyway, but will have 0 PPS value)

Given that i am looking at using my status/miles to upgrade my partner on a future trip (ill buy C, and buy her Y and upgrade is intention, again lhr-syd), would there be any advantage in choosing the SQ flights over the VS ones, and loosing the comfort advantages >

Im only in syd for 24 hours, so sleep is v v important to me, and im concerned that the 744 product in C would not allow me to sleep as well as the VS C product, but would the PPS qualification make it worth it long term ?

Thanks ini advance for your help

Dukesy
    Have we flown/are we flying together ?

http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/re...?handle=dukesy

My take is, it depends on what is your plan in the future. If you are planning to fly SQ more, then definitely go for PPS...

Comment

i believe it is a personal choice... however, i think any person will not say that it is MUCH better than *G, especially in light of the recent changes. if you already fly C and F predominantly, than there is really no difference at all, unless you are a heavy packer, in which case you get to check in 2 extra bags per family member (even if the rest of your family members are not PPS). in addition, you will get in flight vouchers somewhere in the neighborhood of 200SGD..however, considering you have to spend an additional 6000SGD just to qualify for PPS, you could take that 6000,
      park it in a short-term, interest yielding CD, and make more than 200, while trying out some other nice flight products, and saving some money along the way (never a bad thing in this economic climate).
      furthermore, therehave been instances (more than one actually) when trying to access the lounges of united and us airways, where my PPS card actually caused more trouble than just carrying a regular old *G card. the dragons would read "PPS Club" and think that it was the same thing as Red Carpet Club, and inform me that SQ's club does not have reciprocity. This is despite the fact that my BP also had the number and STAR GOLD on it, in addition to the fact that the PPS card states it is STAR GOLD.
      my personal take, go for PPS if you love flying SQ, and you will qualify on your travels alone... but don't spend unneccesary money for it, when other options are cheaper, or change itineraries to go far out of your way to fly SQ metal. the benefits of PPS justaren't worth it anymore.
      all that being said, it has been reported on here that several of the LHR-SIN 747 routes are being grounded because of low yields and the high fuel they burn, so there is the chance you could be upgraded to the A380 if that happens. however, it is certainly not my place to speculate on the odds of that happening. either way, enjoy your travels.

Comment

"PPS club, is it MUCH better than *EG ?"

To answer the original question:

No, IMO it's certainly not MUCH better than *EG. However
        as taipeiflyer pointed out, whether the PPS club brings any additional benefits over *G depends on the individual traveler.

I personally feel that I did not receive any substantial benefits beyond ordinary * G recognition for being a "regular" PPS member. However once I qualified for Solitaire membership I felt I could take greater advantage of PPS perks. Waiting list clearance with SQ is faster and there's an additional PPS card for your spouse, so it's easier to take friends or family to the lounge when traveling together. Also SQ cabin crews tend to give you the illusion that you enjoy greater recognition with the airline (of course at the end all that matters to them is how much you paid for your ticket) and they tend to be more attentive to your needs (eg. you can choose your meal before other passengers to ensure they don't run out etc.).

PPS membership is certainly not worth any mileage (or rather PPS value-) runs but if you happen to travel a lot on SQ it can make a difference (especially as Solitaire)...
        Last edited by SQOZflyer; 11 January 2009, 03:53 AM.

Comment

The only advantage is baggage allowance and duty free/inflight discount of 10%.

I am putting this very bruntly. If you're seeking recognition from cabin crew as the QPP travelling in Economy over EG or as a matter of fact "No status pax", the answer is a straight "No difference!" Perhaps only TPP make a difference.

Comment

in that case, i think i will go for the VS product, saving a thousand pounds, and getting the mileage and re-qualifying for EG anyway :-)

Thanks for your advice everyone

Comment

So what happened to the "God Like Treatment" again?

Comment

quick update

decided to fly thai instead (vs has too long stopover, doesnt get me in til the following morning as opposed to night before)

im saving over £1000 against sq fare. but still getting miles. at 1.25 i guess in Z.

and, it would appear according to thai scheds, 4 different aircraft !!!

how odd !!
                Last edited by dukesy; 13 January 2009, 09:02 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by dukesy View Post
                  and, it would appear according to thai scheds, 4 different aircraft !!!

how odd !!
                  It's to give TG more options to switch aircraft on you.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    It's to give TG more options to switch aircraft on you.
                    Yes, you could possibly ended up with an older plane and older seat type.

Comment

Working...
                    X