KrisFlyer Devaluation: Changes to KrisFlyer Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zander View Post
    I am wondering how SQ is going to handle redemptions in future. SQ is part of Star Alliance and allows other FFP to redeem seats on her aircraft using the Star Alliance award charts. In the near future, when all the long haul flights have been converted to the new seats, I have no idea how SQ is going to handle redemptions from other airlines since SQ has a different standard of requiring double the miles which is kinda in conflict with the current *A award levels. I cannot imagine the scenario where SQ is trying to force her own redemption levels over the other *A carriers and if none of them agree to the new levels for the new seats, its gonna be a joke if they fully restrict access from other FFP on all their long haul redemption seats.
    Yeah, I wonder how SQ can resist the pressure (if any?) the other Star A members put on it to 'conform' to the 'normal' Star A award charts ?
    Could it be that SQ doesn't care about the Star A at all ? Maybe even contemplating leaving the alliance ?
    J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

SQ is actually negotiating with other airlines to get more money for the redemption in F and J on the A380 and 77W... That would mean that other airlines would ask for more miles if you wanna redeem for the more expensive seats...

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
        SQ is actually negotiating with other airlines to get more money for the redemption in F and J on the A380 and 77W... That would mean that other airlines would ask for more miles if you wanna redeem for the more expensive seats...
        That (charging more for the seats) sounds more like SQ's mechanism for un-blocking access to the new premium seats.
        Originally posted by upright man View Post
        Yeah, I wonder how SQ can resist the pressure (if any?) the other Star A members put on it to 'conform' to the 'normal' Star A award charts ?
        AFAIK, there is no requirement within *A (or other alliances) that mileage redemptions rates must harmonize across partners.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

An answer from SQ to my email. As expected by MAN Flyer the reply it is boiler plate and I wonder if they just play dumb or are really challenged to understand the issues at hand. Well I can answer that myself and say they are just not allowed / willing to give an honest and straight forward answer. Reply is a joke really.

--------------------------
          Dear Mr demue,

Thank you for your email dated 16 September 2008 to KrisFlyer Membership Services regarding redemption enhancements to the KrisFlyer programme. We apologise for the delay in our response to you.
          We are gratified by your support for Singapore Airlines and for your kind words with regard to our overall product. We also appreciate the time you took to share your views and feedback on our redemption enhancements.
          We would like to clarify that the primary objective for enhancing the redemption awards is to offer more options to members in redeeming their travels.
          Members can still continue to use the Saver and Unrestricted (now Standard) Awards for their redemption. The seats for the Full Award will be made available in addition to the seats set aside for the Saver and Standard Awards. Furthermore, members now require lesser miles when redeeming a one-way award ticket.
          Hence, the purpose of the programme changes was intended to benefit members.
          Mr demue, thank you for taking the time to write to us. We hope for your continued support for Singapore Airlines and we look forward to be of service to you again soon.

Yours sincerely
          XXXXXXX
          Head Membership Services
          Loyalty Marketing
          Singapore Airlines Limited

Comment

My reply - just for the fun of it.

---------------------------------------

Dear Mrs. XXXXXXX,

thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the effort and want to stress that the latest enhancement was just a trigger for me to express my thoughts about the 'product' Kris Flyer in general. I understand that the intention of the latest enhancements was to offer more options to customers and in the case of the 50% miles for one-way awards you are spot on. A very good enhancement. The usefulness of the Full Award for normal members is questionable, but if you do have members who can and are willing to redeem at 3-4 times the mileage of a Standard (Unrestricted) award then by all mean go ahead and collect those miles as it reduces SQ's liability position on the balance sheet.

I guess you followed QF (Qantas) here on their insane 1 Million miles award, but again if someone has the means to spent that kind of miles on an award ticket and doesn't mind the abysmal value such a redemption represents then by all means I understand that you offer such an award level and collect the miles for it. To make it sound as if this Full award benefits the majority of SQ KF members is a far stretch though as most will never ever get anywhere near collecting the required miles for such an award.

However, what you completely ignore and fail to mention at all is the shrinking availability of Saver Awards driven by the changes in your overall aircraft fleet (I'm not even talking about reductions in available award inventory). With the introduction of the 773ER, the all Biz A345 as well as A380 you have eliminated even the previously existing possibility of getting a Saver award seat in a premium cabin (Biz, First) on SQ at generally accepted mileage redemption levels as used by many Star Alliance programs. For example, around 100,00 - 120,000 miles for a SE Asia to Europe roundtrip in Business class.

As I mentioned before, there are already routes that only allow for 'Standard' awards such as ZRH, CDG, EWR and with the demise of the 747 fleet and further roll-out of the new aircraft types featuring the newer Business or First Class products one doesn't even have a choice any longer. I expect FRA and LHR as well as SYD to go all A380 and/ or 773ER in the near future removing Saver award redemptions in premium cabins on those routes altogether. This is an overall trend that when you remove older aircraft types from routes the possibility for a saver award in a premium cabin dies. I'm not talking about Economy here which I'm aware of is offered on all aircraft regardless of product, but am basically talking about the step-by-step elevation of redemption levels to 'Standard' award levels for premium cabins on routes only served by the new aircrafts.

As a customer, you don't offer me a choice in such cases other than to pay for a Standard award to fly SQ or move to a different carrier within Star Alliance with which I may be able to redeem a Star Alliance award in a premium cabin at redemption levels similar to the previously offered SQ saver award levels. While I can follow such an approach to some degree I find it short sided to some extent. People fly on SQ because a good product is offered, but when it comes to awards we are penalized to pay twice as much in terms of miles required to fly SQ on mileage redemption ticket in a premium cabin than on another Star Alliance carrier (using a Star Alliance Award). Now don't get me wrong, I think SQ offers a good product, but other carriers are close and are also upgrading their in-flight products and once one has used them on an award flight and been satisfied they could be tempted to shift their revenue flights also partially or in full to those other carriers.

As mentioned, many of people in my private and professional environment share this view and are frustrated by this development and feel it is one of the worst creeping trends within KrisFlyer that immensely impacts the attractiveness of the program altogether. I said it before that I envision a future where I can only redeem a premium cabin long-haul award on SQ at 'Standard' award levels due to only new aircraft operating on the routes. Nothing has convinced me of the contrary so far and therefore I stand to my decision to abandon KrisFlyer as a program altogether. The next thing that I will get rid of is my KrisFlyer Amex. No need to accumulate miles in a program where it takes me twice as long to get the premium cabin award I desire.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

demue

Comment

If I received such a response from customer service, what would bother me is not so much the programme changes (so be it) but the patronising reply which assumes that I'm stupid enough to believe them when they say it's all for my own good.

Corresponding with customer service like this seems like a waste of time IMHO. I doubt quitting KF makes any difference to them either (as SQ nowadays seems to view a FFP as an unwanted but necessary burden).

Comment

I agree. It is always the case they they try to patronize you and feed you their of the shelf responses painting everything in the rosiest colors and for the greater good of the customer. Of course it doesn't bother them at all if one quits, but to me it is is the only reasonable step if I'm unhappy. So I vote with my feet.

Ohh and I'm just winding them up. I have bunked my miles with LH & BD for a long time and only my credit card miles went to KF. However, if no one says anything they may even start believing that they are really doing us favors.

Comment

Reminds me I haven't heard back on the PPS Value miscredit

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                    They figured they can make you blink first, Kiwi.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Bravo on the reply to KF

How can "additional flexibility" for redemption awards are treated as extra benefits when members have to cough up 4-5X the redemption amounts????

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                        Keep bugging them - I've had 3 miscredits this year and they were amended within 2 weeks of each email query from me.
                        (On the SQ website, use the feedback - krisflyer matters form).
                        J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Proof of SQ lying, sorry "spin"

Originally posted by SQ
                          No change to the SAVER AWARD
                          The Saver award will continue to offer the best value for your miles. It is available on most aircraft types in Economy, Business and First Class, and with no change to the number of miles required for a round-trip ticket.
                          Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          Ok, everyone needs to CALM DOWN.

Let's wait and see first if this new 'Full Award' changes the current availability of saver awards. Everybody is jumping the gun but perhaps this new Full Award is going to be an additional allocation of seats for those who need to travel during a peak period...
                          I don't think so!!!

There are 4 daily flights from Syd-Sin;
                          Code:
                          SQ220 SYD 08:15 SIN 13:15
                          SQ232 SYD 12:40 SIN 17:40
                          SQ222 SYD 16:40 SIN 21:50
                          SQ234 SYD 18:50 SIN 23:50
                          I have done several dummy bookings up to a year in advance, and I cannot get an Economy Saver Award seat on the early flights (i.e. SQ 220 & SQ 232) when I could easily get them prior to the latest changes; the best I can do now is to waitlist for them If you wanted to fly to Kul from Syd, and want to use an Economy saver award, you are now forced to overnight in Sin!!

This is one (I suspect of many) example of SQ LYING to us when they say "No change to the SAVER AWARD...It is available on most aircraft types in Economy..."

Comment

I have been giving CX more of my business these days. I have to travel to Tokyo next week for work and instead of taking SQ J class, I have opted for CX J class via HKG.

I feel that as a PPS Club member, the benefits have devalued greatly and with CX, I can access their First Class lounge at HKIA and their benefits are way better.

Good bye SQ. More CX from now.

Comment

Originally posted by krismiles View Post
                              I have been giving CX more of my business these days. I have to travel to Tokyo next week for work and instead of taking SQ J class, I have opted for CX J class via HKG.

I feel that as a PPS Club member, the benefits have devalued greatly and with CX, I can access their First Class lounge at HKIA and their benefits are way better.

Good bye SQ. More CX from now.
                              Welcome to SQTalk

Another one who has decided to join the Dark Force

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                                Another one who has decided to join the Dark Force
                                Count me in!!!

I have my first CX flight in years planned for later this week, and you cannot believe how much I want to like it so that I can swing more business away from SQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X