Greetings for PPS members inflight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philipat View Post
    LOL and fully agree! I'd rather just be left alone. It's only the Walter Mitty's that get upset about not being acknowledged as someone special in front of other passengers. These folks mostly live alone in bedsits in Crawley and go plane spotting at weekends? Get a life.
    I think you misunderstood my post. SQ LPP is legendary, and in a positive way among SQ staff.

The discussion in this thread revolved around how a small gesture like a personal acknowledgment during the flight can create / cement goodwill among customers, but that this seemed to be rather inconsistently executed at SQ. CX, for example, does a relatively exemplary job with their Diamonds (and even OW Emeralds). I would expect the consistency for TPPs, especially now after The Great Culling of 2007.

(As for the expectation of personal greetings for every KF member ... )
    Last edited by jjpb3; 24 February 2009, 02:13 AM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Was in Y on the 388 yesterday and although only a lowly QPP1, I got full attention - they moved the pax next to me to another emergency row seat so that I have two seats for myself and crew and purser looked after me all the time - was asked for my food preferences and got served ahead of the rest of the crowd.

While senior management hates its most loyal customers and is not afraid of showing it, cabin crew is consistantly doing a good job - especially welcome in Y.

Comment

A legend in his own lunchtime?

The discussion in this thread revolved around how a small gesture like a personal acknowledgment during the flight can create / cement goodwill among customers, but that this seemed to be rather inconsistently executed at SQ. CX, for example, does a relatively exemplary job with their Diamonds (and even OW Emeralds). I would expect the consistency for TPPs, especially now after The Great Culling of 2007.
        Yes that's reasonable but, again, call me old-fashioned, I find it mildly embarassing and would prefer just to be left alone. MANY years ago, I once had to take a Y LHR-SIN full of antipodeans because I booked only a day ahead and that was the best I could do, using the PPS guarantee of a seat if waitlisted for First. The crew served me my breakfast ahead of everyone else and there was almost a revolution. For the rest of the flight I felt like I wanted to be somewhere else. Preferably in 3A!!

Comment

Originally posted by philipat View Post
          The crew served me my breakfast ahead of everyone else and there was almost a revolution. For the rest of the flight I felt like I wanted to be somewhere else. Preferably in 3A!!
          Cranky cabin mates you had. Were you in the front or back section of Y?

I try to sit near the front, about two to three rows behind the bassinet rows, where it's evident that cabin crew deliver the children's meals along with any special meals earlier than the regular meals. There is generally no fuss from other pax about the different timings. Once in Y (back in my QPP days) a seatmate asked why I was among the first to get my breakfast in that front section. I smiled and said, "Oh I fly enough with SQ that they know I'm a big baby." She giggled and patiently waited for the cart, calm again.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            SQ LPP is legendary, and in a positive way among SQ staff.
            Spot on.

The discussion in this thread revolved around how a small gesture like a personal acknowledgment during the flight can create / cement goodwill among customers...
            Absolutely. Like you, I've experienced it on other airlines and it's a small gesture but nice to have it acknowledged.

...(As for the expectation of personal greetings for every KF member ... )

Cranky cabin mates you had. ...
            Methinks perhaps not.

Comment

Didn't think the name greeting part was that important... and for the people earlier in the thread that thought UA F was similar to SQ Y, at least the past 5 or 6 times I took UA the past 6 months (in Intl F or dom F), I was always addressed by name whenever I spoke with an FA..

Comment

For the last several SQ regional flights, I noticed that in J class the SQ cabin crew did some extra things for PPS members.

On one flight, the J cabin leader (a CSS) came up to me and greeted me personally, telling me how long the flight time was that day & thanking me for flying SQ.

On another (today), two FSSes took meal orders from only PPS members (in J) before take off.

I don't know if these are just good anomalies, or is it now SOP to 'add an extra touch' for PPS members onboard in J.

to the crews onboard the two flights anyway.

Comment

I'd probably think the SOP to greet PPS is being reintroduced after a short hiatus?

I just completed 4 long haul Y flights within this and the previous month and on all of them the crew made it a point to ask for my meal preference a good half hour before the general meal service.

Also, the latest one back from LHR the FSS even made it a point to address me by my last name throughout and literally popped by each time she did her rounds. When they turned the lights off for sleeping after the first meal service, she even came around my seat with eyeshades.

If that's part of the god-like treatment SQ promised, then I'm pretty impressed. I'm easily satisfied, heh.

Comment

Yeah greetings in Y were quite existent all this while, especially on long hauls.
                    But it seems that they are introducing it in J as well?

Comment

my take on this.... especially about meal service.... this was told to me by a CSS neighbour of mine... if PPS sits near the front of the Y cabin and meal service starts from the back, a FS will come forward and take your request, in case they run out of your choice by time the tray comes.... if meal service starts from front and you are in front, then likely they would not ask you.

I had been on Y long haul the past year and 99% of the time I get greeted by a LSS or a FSS when I get on the plane.

Was on SIN CPH last week and all FSS in the cabin I was in address me by name, those sitting beside me were staring wondering if I am someone working in SQ.... haha
                      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Just checking is greeting for PPS members inflight still existing?

Comment

I've been told, and my experience corroborates this, that it depends very much on the most senior crew on duty. Some of them encourage the additional recognition their team give to PPS, some of them don't.

Another factor is just how busy the flight is.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            I've been told, and my experience corroborates this, that it depends very much on the most senior crew on duty. Some of them encourage the additional recognition their team give to PPS, some of them don't.

Another factor is just how busy the flight is.
                            I am only a KFEG along with the mrs and we often get (long hauls only) a hello mr and Mrs Flying Dobber. Always a nice touch, and always appeciated.

Comment

My last greetings was a flight to Shanghai about two years ago as QPPS or TPPS. Can expect that no greetings be made particularly on CGK flights. Just too short and too many QPPS, TPPS or LPPS around.

Comment

I was told now from an IFS friend, PPS greeting still remains especially in long haul. But extra touches like water, J class socks, etc will not be given automatically, if you need, you need to ask from them & is up to their discretion that it will be provided to you.

Their circulars do not state that they need to give these items to premium passengers in Economy.

And they actually prefer not to give it because once you experience these on a flight, on future flights you will expect the same from them.

Of course we all understand ticket prices increase, and they are recovering back losses due to the financial downturn. Also learnt more Satay services will be cutting back soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X