My observations standing at the SKL door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My observations standing at the SKL door

Was standing at the entrance to the SKL waiting for someone the other day - for a good 1/2 hour mind you. Post 12:00am Sept 1, of course.

Noticed some common behaviours amongst the pax coming in.
    • I counted at least 40-45 people who genuinely didn't know of the changes "Since when?" was a very common reply. We, as members of SQTalk take an interest in these things and have known about the changes for ages, but we're but a handful. There are quite a few people out there who genuinely didn't know. . There were also a few mutterings about how intransparent the PPS value thing was, and how befuddled many of them were. As far as getting the message across, I fear it's turning out to be a bit of a PR disaster for SQ here. In all fairness, I don't think they could have done anymore short of regular 2 minute TV commercial slots at prime time. Not a good situation regardless of whose fault it is though.
    • SKL staff getting so much abuse I wonder if any of them will want to work there anymore. I mean serious verbal abuse for all and sundry pertaining to those changes.
    • I saw another 20-30 QPP's in J who looked like they knew the new rules, but were trying their luck but were not allowed into the SKL F. About half of them trudged over to the J side, the other half swore they were not coming back and never flying SQ again, and walked out. Even if half of them were pure crocodile tears, I think at least some proportion of them said it with enough conviction to actually carry out those threats.
    • There was another gentleman who was very eloquent at putting his message across, and it got me thinking too. He stated the obvious "this new program is meant to get rid of the 25ers" - i.e. those that just scraped by,of which there are a great number of. He continued to say something along the lines of :The changes do however make an assumption that the 25ers will still continue to fly the equivalent of 25. They won't. The motivation to be a 25er is not the same anymore, as it will likely mean there's no plastic card waiting for me. Nobody's that stupid. Sure, the flights are full now with 744's having left the fleet, and the 380's being delayed and all so no one in management cares - for now.
    Those who are happy with the changes could argue that it's these sort of flyers that SQ wants to get rid of, and to concentrate on moving PPS truly upmarket for the benefit of the few who DO pay.

This whole thing is so polarizing that I'm wondering if this is going to turn out to be the SQ masterstroke that defines premium loyalty service for all others to follow,

or

it's biggest PR headache since October 2000.

Made for a very interesting 1/2 an hour though.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    SKL staff getting so much abuse I wonder if any of them will want to work there anymore. I mean serious verbal abuse for all and sundry pertaining to those changes.
    That's very sad to hear.
    Not entirely unexpected, but those abusive QPPs should direct their energies into something more constructive. Like angry letters to the press for instance.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 September 2007, 08:24 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• SKL staff getting so much abuse I wonder if any of them will want to work there anymore. I mean serious verbal abuse for all and sundry pertaining to those changes.
      That makes me . Bad enough senior management didn't really bolster the staff at the SKL during the first few days of the transition, but there's absolutely no reason to take one's anger out on the SKL staff.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        Not entirely unexpected, but those abusive QPPs should direct their energies into something more constructive. Like angry letters to the press for instance.
        ... or simply a course of anger counselling to prevent that first heart attack which is likely to occur if they get so wound up about relatively minor things like access to a lounge!

Complain to a PPS coordinator or the press, fine but taking it out on the lounge staff ?!?

Comment

Unfortunately, the SKL Staff are on the front line to "enforce" the changes at the operational level. Sorry for them as they are generally nice folks on the overall.

Perhaps, they should put the loyalty program manager et al to "explain" the changes (i.e. making the program more exclusive) at the front entrance of the of the SKLs.

Comment

I do feel sorry for the SKL staff their management have really left them in the firing line. It would be nice to see some of the managers who made this decision being there to field the angry PPS. But no they will be safely tucked away in their ivory towers looking at their P&L accounts.

I am not surprised though there has been a very angry reaction (just look at the reaction on this board full of SQ fanatics). There has always been one huge fundamental flaw in the change. They have been promoting it as making PPS more exclusive and giving a better service to the members who still qualify. And I believe that most people would accept this if they could see the improvements. However along side this management spin they have drastically cut the benefits members receive. Your average PPS member I'm sure is highly educated and really will not be fooled by such a simply ploy. They can easily see it is a straight forward cost cutting measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
              And I believe that most people would accept this if they could see the improvements.
              To be fair to SQ, I think this depends on which side of the fence you're on. Amongst all the reports about the packed to the rafters SKL J (which is likely to remain like this until T3 opens given that I doubt the PPS numbers will be slashed enough by then), the SKL F must presumably be an oasis of calm and tranquility for the F and TPP/LPP pax in there.

Comment

it's biggest PR headache since October 2000.)
                I wonder if you could explain this statement to me. I somehow do not see a PR disaster/headache here, but a big management disaster. To me, PR could not have done anything to improve the situation ... except perhaps to inform the public a bit more.
                Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                  It would be nice to see some of the managers who made this decision being there to field the angry PPS.
                  Sadly, I don't think it's gonna happen. Especially if they read this thread.

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                  I wonder if you could explain this statement to me. I somehow do not see a PR disaster/headache here, but a big management disaster. To me, PR could not have done anything to improve the situation ... except perhaps to inform the public a bit more.
                  Sure. You plan a change that will make some people upset, you try to communicate this in the best way possible, you THINK you've done a good job, and yet a whole boatload of people don't actually realise you've made changes.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                    First, there is quite a difference between a 'headache' (the term SQfg used) and 'disaster'.

Second, since SQ saw fit to try to spin the changes as enhancements that gave the PPS Club a more exclusive feel, when QPPs -- who are PPS members after all -- lost access to SKL F; QPPs/LPPs/TPPs lost access to the SKL when not on SQ; and requalification vouchers and birthday gifts were yanked away ... well, that decision turned this into a PR headache. The headache, as you pointed out, was caused by refusing to acknowledge that a bit more honesty and humility might have made the problem easier to manage.

Loyal customers can be understanding if you explain why you have to make some hard choices and apologize for the impact on them. They might not be quite so understanding if you keep telling them that really, it's all for their own good, and you make them feel that you'll just wait for them to get around to seeing things from your vantage point.
                    Last edited by jjpb3; 5 September 2007, 07:16 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I feel sorry for SKL staff too.
                      Maybe SQ should import UA RCC matrons to eliminate those abuse

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        That's very sad to hear.
                        HA! you could try sending angry letters to the Straits Times, but being anti-government (indirectly), I doubt they'd publish them

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                          HA! you could try sending angry letters to the Straits Times, but being anti-government (indirectly), I doubt they'd publish them
                          When the announcements were made, I recall reading angry letters in The Straits Times. Channel News Asia even did a special documentary with Stephen Forshaw but they still went ahead with all the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            First, there is quite a difference between a 'headache' (the term SQfg used) and 'disaster'.

Second, since SQ saw fit to try to spin the changes as enhancements that gave the PPS Club a more exclusive feel, when QPPs -- who are PPS members after all -- lost access to SKL F; QPPs/LPPs/TPPs lost access to the SKL when not on SQ; and requalification vouchers and birthday gifts were yanked away ... well, that decision turned this into a PR headache. The headache, as you pointed out, was caused by refusing to acknowledge that a bit more honesty and humility might have made the problem easier to manage.

Loyal customers can be understanding if you explain why you have to make some hard choices and apologize for the impact on them. They might not be quite so understanding if you keep telling them that really, it's all for their own good, and you make them feel that you'll just wait for them to get around to seeing things from your vantage point.
                            thanks for the answer ... now, i get it. i'm sorry i kinda confused headache with disaster as it seemed to me this would be the same thing (yeah the terminology is a bit confusing if you've studied this stuff in another language ...) but yeah everything crystal clear now. i apologize for misinterpreting and thank for the answer
                            Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
                              Maybe SQ should import UA RCC matrons to eliminate those abuse
                              I think some of them are already working there. The people at the SIN SKL aren't the nicest SQ people around, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X