Advice needed : waitlisted on SQ38 .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed : waitlisted on SQ38 .

I made a business class ticket redemption on the non-stop SQ38/37 SIN-LAX return for my wife in Jan 08.
    The outbound flight is confirmed but the return flight is waitlisted.
    I've done a search of the threads here but still need some advice :

1) are my chances of clearing the waitlist very low as the non-stop LAX-SIN is very popular ?

2) My kids and I are also going on the same flight in Exec Economy - shall I book the tickets now or later ? (Being fully flexi tickets, I can always make changes with no penalty).

A likely scenario which I am afraid may happen is that we fly to LA as planned, and during the 12 days there, have an anxious wait worrying about the waitlist, and then 2 days before the return flight, find that the waitlist doesn't clear.
    Last edited by upright man; 16 August 2007, 07:43 PM.
    J. my own dear wife J.

Originally posted by upright man View Post
    1) are my chances of clearing the waitlist very low as the non-stop LAX-SIN is very popular ?
    Is your wife a QPP? If not, then I suggest that you make the booking for yourself, in order to get a higher priority on the waitlist.

You can always give her your seat onboard.

Comment

She doesn't have any status.
      Oh no I didn't know that the passenger status matters - I thought as long as I am QPP it would be ok : come to think of it, when I input her name , the wedsite didn't ask for her Krisflyer no. or her status : so maybe it doesn't matter ?

Anyway, is it too late now ?
      Also, I prefer to be on the paid Exec Y seat to earn the miles, rather than redeem the Business class seat myself and earn none.

Thanks for the help.
      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

You may want to consider buying 4 Y class tickets, and using your miles to upgrade yourself.

Instead of a net mileage spend of 102,000 (after 15% discount) for the Business Saver, you would use 76.5k miles for the r/t upgrade, plus earn 22k miles for the Y class ticket (incl. PPS tier bonus). Net mileage spend = 54,500 miles.

So you can weigh the cost of the additional Y ticket, against a mileage savings of 47.5k miles (102k - 54.5k).

Comment

Plus if you buy 4x SIN-LAX r/t tickets online using a PPS Amex card, you'll probably end up with an additional 20,000 KF miles, dropping your net mileage cost even lower...

Comment

I find it more worthwhile to redeem a business class ticket for my wife outright - anyway she has no status and won't get the 25% tier bonus miles.

Anyway, I think the availability of an award ticket is the same whether its an upgrade or outright redemption right ? So I'm still stuck on a waitlist situation.
            J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

no what i meant in the upgrade (vs. full redemption) example was:

you waitlist yourself for the upgrade, thereby utilising your higher waitlist status as QPP. then you also earn miles + tier bonus on the paid Y ticket, which was your earlier concern.

who gets the spacebed onboard is entirely up to you...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                no what i meant in the upgrade (vs. full redemption) example was:

you waitlist yourself for the upgrade, thereby utilising your higher waitlist status as QPP. then you also earn miles + tier bonus on the paid Y ticket, which was your earlier concern.

who gets the spacebed onboard is entirely up to you...
                Thanks for the advice.
                I've thought about it, and I've decided to just buy a Y ticket like you suggested, and then waitlist for the upgrade - at least then my whole family would have guaranteed seats.
                After all, it's more important to eliminate the uncertainty of being waitlisted, so that I can pre-book a hotel room and car rental.
                Thanks again for the good advice.
                J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Working...
                X