Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, you can try MILES & MORE since your flights are mostly to europe regions.

btw one flight from SIN to FRA in first class (round trip) can already propel you to FREQUENT TRAVELLER (*A status) status.

also try to get the HON CIRCLE status to get exclusive access into the FIRST class terminal in FRA
    I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

• Originally posted by LOWJHG View Post
      well, you can try MILES & MORE since your flights are mostly to europe regions.

btw one flight from SIN to FRA in first class (round trip) can already propel you to FREQUENT TRAVELLER (*A status) status.

also try to get the HON CIRCLE status to get exclusive access into the FIRST class terminal in FRA
      My interpretation from the first post by QPP flyer 2 is that he/she wants an alternative where to park the miles when flying premium class on SQ (being QPP as mentioned), which he/she credited to Kris Flyer now. Yes, LH M&M can be an alternative to where the miles are credited. (Remember the benefit of the double dipping when flying SQ premium class.) Still, the highest elite level to boot is SENATOR. HON Circle is a different ball to play with.

HON CIRCLE status miles requirement is strictly earned only on LH and its affiliates airlines, such as LX, Air One etc. Thus, with QPP flyer 2 flies SQ metal from SIN to Europe, there is no way he/she would gain HON CIRCLE.
      Furthermore, FIRST CLASS TERMINAL at FRA is only for FC pax and HON Circle who depart on LH. Thus, flying SQ from FRA, even though someone has HON Circle status, will not gain access for the use of FCT.
      I hope I clarify somewhat misleading post.

Welcome to SQTalk, QPP flyer 2 and LOWJHG!

Comment

• Originally posted by QPPS flyer 2 View Post
        Re expected benefits: mainly higher miles crediting, and higher chances of upgrades.
        For a more generous mileage accrual/redemption ratio, bmi diamond club is currently one of the most generous schemes in Star Alliance. SQ business class attracts an accrural rate of 150%, first accrues at 200%. Other Star Alliance carriers accrue at 200% and 300% for J and F respectively. You get a 25% bonus upon reaching Silver status, and double miles after accrual of over 55k status miles in your membership year as any status miles you accrue after the 55k threshold are then turned into award miles for redemption purposes. Redemption rates are comparatively low, especially with the Cash & Miles option where you can offset the amount of miles required with cash. There are also regularly generous mileage promos; in fact if you join now you'd automatically get 4500 miles for free.

By upgrades do you mean operational upgrades? If so, on the rare occassion that SQ does op ups, it is done according to status and only when flights are oversold. So utilising the double dipping benefit as outlined by previous posters, PPS status ought to help. I believe other airlines would also follow a similar process.

Otherwise I believe quite a few schemes offer upgrade instruments as perks for elite status; UA Mileage Plus, Thai ROP, Lufthansa Miles and More are some of the schemes that offer System Wide Upgrades, which are vouchers you can use to upgrade any flight operated by the carrier. It'd make sense that you pick the FFP of a carrier that you'd see yourself flying on so that you can actually take advantage of the ability to upgrade.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 20 October 2008, 02:16 PM. Reason: see 9V-JKL's post below for clarification
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          and double miles after attaining or retaining Gold status as any 'excess' status miles you accrue is then turned into award miles for redemption purposes.
          Just a slight correction....

double miles are awarded when you exceed 55K status miles within your 'year'

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            Just a slight correction....

double miles are awarded when you exceed 55K status miles within your 'year'
            Post edited. Thanks 9V-JKL.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• I have a similar question. I fly SQ a lot in whY from Australia and in Asia and hold SQ Gold but I find the KF program heavily oriented to their PPS members.

I used to have Gold with UA and the bonuses were nice.

I am considering firing my miles into the TG program since at least they seem to handout some upgrade vouchers at renewal.

Comments appreciated.

Comment

• Depends on what you're looking for really. It sounds like you're wanting upgrades using miles or other instruments. If you want upgrades on SQ flights, Krisflyer would be the best option for you.

Yes TG*G does get you upgrade vouchers on Thai, and another voucher for your birthday (though not sure if that still happens). It is also relatively simple to gain *G with ROP. However the accrual/redemption ratio on TG is relatively poor.

UA is good value for awards - especially that 20k (30k for J) within South West Pacific return award which takes you as far as Tahiti with the option of a stopover in NZ.

Comment

• You might want to consider BD - while the party lasts anyway. In most cases they have the best earn-burn ratio.

Plus if you say that you may not be travelling much hereafter, in the event that you do reach and retain Silver or Gold before the anticipated merger with LH / Miles & More, you may end up with an additional 2 years of extended status.

Comment

• Can we merge all these questions into one thread? I think I've seen at least four or five strings. Having a single one will be more useful to the OP's and the rest of the group, no?
                    HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                      You might want to consider BD - while the party lasts anyway. In most cases they have the best earn-burn ratio.

Plus if you say that you may not be travelling much hereafter, in the event that you do reach and retain Silver or Gold before the anticipated merger with LH / Miles & More, you may end up with an additional 2 years of extended status.
                      The logical mind tells me that there is truth in what you say about BD.

But having flown a few sectors with them in Europe recently I have to say that my impression is that their aircraft are old, their ground service sux and their lounges are the pits - at least their flight staff try hard to please.

Do I want to store my miles with an airline that I would prefer not to fly with?

Comment

• Originally posted by sudsoz View Post
                        Do I want to store my miles with an airline that I would prefer not to fly with?
                        If you're looking solely to acquire redemption awards at the best possible value, then it doesn't really matter what carrier you actually fly with. The accrual/redemption ratio is what you ought to be most concerned about. Analogously, I'd say 60% of the miles I earned on my AAdvantage account comes from QF flights, the other 40% split evenly between the OW carriers with AA proper accounting for probably less than 25%. Similarly, most of my LH mileage was earned with SQ flights (at the time BD wasn't open to members outside Europe).

If it's good status recognition and benefits you want, then it makes sense to pick a carrier that you'd see yourself flying with at least a couple of times.

Comment

• I'm also thinking of moving to either M&M or ROP (i reside in KUL), but i need some advise on this..

I fly to Europe (most of the time) via SQ and use the *A europass a whole lot, mainly on Lufthansa and LOT Polish for internal Europe flights. I figure it'll be more worthwhile for me to earn the minimum 500 "tier miles" (don't know what you call them on M&M) on internal Europe flights on M&M rather than the paltry 186 miles on Krisflyer doing TXL/FRA or MUC/FRA for example. I've calculated and it would be much easier to reach the *A gold of M&M than KF doing it this way...

On the flip side, LH only operates a few flights out of KUL and as such, most of the time I'm booked on either SQ26 (744) or SQ326 (773) to FRA.

Comment

• BD, LH, OZ?

Hi guys,

I am shopping around. Right now, I guess I can, because I have only just started banking into BD. So it's not too late to choose another program. I will probably hit around 140,000 + miles by April 09. So it is important to know where to put those miles. Perhaps someone can shine a light.

My pattern:

-Primary carrier: SQ
                            -Flights on C and F primarily, few RTW on C or F
                            -Usually either ex-SIN, or ex-USA, between USA and SEA.
                            -Flights may go into Europe, intra Europe would probably be LH or LX
                            -Redemptions would originate ex-SIN (nice if the burn ratio is great), and sigh I am prepared that SQ may prob have less awards for *A FFP.

My needs:

-Focus is on getting status for lounge and baggage privileges
                            -Would prefer ease in dealing with airline staff (prefer airline that understands accountability)
                            -Ease in getting awards redemptions, eg: via online unless the call center is efficient

Not considering SQ KF due to the recent 'enhancements' which are not likely to get better. So, the following are the options:

-Diamond Club
                            • Stay with it, get Gold by end 08, re-qualify by mid 09. Hope that all miles and status transfers when it is absorbed by M&M.
                            • Love the ease of qualification and re-qualification and bonus miles.
                            • Concerned about the ICC, am based in both SIN and USA, and spending 30 minutes calling a call center that is infamous for incompetence does not sound hot to me.
                            • Still, the earn / burn ratio is great (currently). Wonder if it is wise to just milk it in its last breaths or just switch now.

-Miles and More
                            • Uncertain if I can consistently hit 100K a year. 35 K for FTL just to stave off the expiry of miles is workable.
                            • Love the 25% status miles for LH group airlines + affiliated airlines.
                            • Love the 300% for F and 200 % for C on SQ (lower for BD)
                            • Love it that upon qualification, you get 2 yrs PLUS the balance of the year you crossed the threshold.
                            • Tested their M&M service line on the phone, and it is very very good. Efficient.
                            • Still, re-qualification is a b@#$h.
                            • Uncertain abt the burn ratio. From the zoning system they use it seems comparable to SQ KF.

-Asiana Club
                            • Love the 40,000 miles for Gold qualification.
                            • Love the fact they will also give the rest of the year as a bonus + two years membership.
                            • Re-qualification is based on mileage gotten during the term of elite membership.
                            • Don't really like that flights taken during the the free bonus period is not taken as status miles. Did I misunderstand this?
                            • Uncertain about the burn ratio and the call centers. Did call the sales office in SIN...friendly but IMHO not too good.
                            • Earn ratio is standard 150% for F 125% for C.

-TG ROP
                            • 50,000 qualification for two years is good, and since I will hit 100K that would mean 4 years.
                            • Earn ratio is standard 150% for F 125% for C.
                            • Uncertain about the burn ratio. Been told it is not good.
                            • ROP call center is just ok, sometimes they can loopy and don't know their own products.
                            • Birthday awards etc apparently going through a revamp in 09.

So there ya go. Would love any input on which program I should go for.

Thanks in advance!
                            Have Passport Will Travel!

Comment

• Originally posted by emperorsr View Post
                              Perhaps someone can shine a light.
                              It sounds like you've done your research v well.

Also, bear in mind that whichever carrier you choose to accrue miles to, you can still earn PPS status with SQ by accruing PPS Value to Krisflyer. As your primary carrier is SQ, your elite benefits and recognition on SQ would naturally flow from status on SQ. As such, I'd actually concentrate on getting the best earn/burn ratio for your other *A account.

Originally posted by emperorsr View Post
                              [*] Concerned about the ICC, am based in both SIN and USA, and spending 30 minutes calling a call center that is infamous for incompetence does not sound hot to me.
                              Skype?

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                                It sounds like you've done your research v well.

Also, bear in mind that whichever carrier you choose to accrue miles to, you can still earn PPS status with SQ by accruing PPS Value to Krisflyer. As your primary carrier is SQ, your elite benefits and recognition on SQ would naturally flow from status on SQ. As such, I'd actually concentrate on getting the best earn/burn ratio for your other *A account.

Skype?
                                Hi Keith,

I have done some research but I think you are one of the experts of FFP comparisons from my readings here!

I guess I am just hoping to get some clarity about choice. I tend not to have multi programs within the same alliance so choosing one means sticking to one. And frankly, the earn/burn ratio is making me see stars. I can see that the earn factor for M&M and BD is superior to other programs though.

As for the calls to the ICC in Pune, mmm, it is more the hassle of time on Skype that gets me. Wish I could be more zenlicious but...hahaha :-).

I believe you are an LH Sen? How's that working for you? Wish I could stay with KF since I am chums with them, but duh, their prog is sinking in the marshpits of culldom....
                                Have Passport Will Travel!

Comment

Working...
                                X