X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: KrisFlyer vs Miles & More

Hi,

I am helping my friend, who travels frequently on SQ to other ASEAN destination such as KUL, CGK and BKK, to decide if she should switch to Miles & More. She will be due for Elite Silver after her trip to Hanoi next week.

I was told by some friends that Miles & More offer 150% on Y bookings. Also, according to the below website, she can earn a minimum of 750 miles if she flies to KUL on SQ, am I interpreting it correctly? Hence, M&M looks attractive as she is always booked on Y booking class. So, I am wondering if she could attain Star Gold faster through Miles & More.
    http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...81&cid=1000357

Also, although it may seem easier to earn more mileage on M&M as compared to KF, is more M&M miles needed to redeem any future award tix?

What are the other pros & cons if she made the switch after getting her Elite Silver? Or is there any other Star Alliance FFP that can help her attain *G faster? Should she just stay on and credit all future miles to her KrisFlyer?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

if your friend can afford super expensive Y class, then tell him/her to go for it.

BD and AC FFP are easier than KF I believe but OZ is the easiest to maintain but need 100K to get *G.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
        she can earn a minimum of 750 miles if she flies to KUL on SQ, am I interpreting it correctly?
        Yes. That is correct.

Comment

I thought long and hard about Krisflyer vs. LH M & M too recently, and decided to start crediting to LH from Jan 08.

The main thing I want to get is LH SEN status, which gives 2 years of Star Gold status, instead of Krisflyer Gold's one year - this suits me better.

However, you must be confident of reaching 100,000 status miles in one calendar year - so if your friend is just flying South-east Asia mainly, do the sums for him/her carefully.
          J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Thanks people for your and advice.

Originally posted by upright man View Post
            I thought long and hard about Krisflyer vs. LH M & M too recently, and decided to start crediting to LH from Jan 08.

The main thing I want to get is LH SEN status, which gives 2 years of Star Gold status, instead of Krisflyer Gold's one year - this suits me better.

However, you must be confident of reaching 100,000 status miles in one calendar year - so if your friend is just flying South-east Asia mainly, do the sums for him/her carefully.
            Hmm.. I am still wondering if she is unable to hit gold in one year, will it still be worth it to switch to M&M?

I was thinking that she will be able to accure more miles since she is always booked on Y. Unless more M&M miles is also needed to redeem award flights, then I guess that the switch is still worth it?

Comment

At least SQ recognizes LH*G status for priority waitlist/seating in some fashion, rather than the other way around, so I would go for SEN.

However, it is really beneficial flying on LH - you get op-upped quite a bit!

Upon obtaining SEN, and keeping the LH M&M number in the record, got an op-up for the first time in my life on LH (versus UA*G)!

(I had to forcefully take away the SWU from the lounge dragon, who didn't know what was going on, and wanted to take the upgrade voucher anyway! I had already taken it away, when I could see that she couldn't access the system)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
                However, it is really beneficial flying on LH - you get op-upped quite a bit!

Upon obtaining SEN, and keeping the LH M&M number in the record, got an op-up for the first time in my life on LH (versus UA*G)!
                Congrats on the upgrade! After 3 years of SEN, I'll be taking my first LH flight in Jan...no chance of an upgrade from F though

Comment

With The Savage25 Effect (http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4196) in full swing with BD, I thought this might be a good time to revive this old thread.

After the change in December, will LH be the place to park our miles when flying in paid F?
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    She must be prepared to earn all the required EQMs very early in the year for the 3 year thing to work. A carefully planned CRWSTAR should do the trick.

Has anything changed?
                    To achieve SEN needs 100K miles, so how can a CRWSTAR do the trick?

Comment

• Originally posted by hsf View Post
                      Has anything changed?
                      To achieve SEN needs 100K miles, so how can a CRWSTAR do the trick?
                      When I wrote that post a CRWSTAR has a 24 segment allowance and one could take advantage of the generous min miles in, say, Europe (2000 per segment, or 2500 with the 25% bonus thrown in once FTL is achieved) and fly a series of short little segments that don't take up much of the MPM.

However as of 1MAY RTW segments will be reduced to 16 () due to the IATA eticketing mandate, which makes that approach far less lucrative.

Traveling in C accrues 200% of the BIS miles generally. You also get the extra 25% bonus accrual on the M+M group of carriers after hitting FTL (35k status miles).
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 April 2008, 02:09 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• K,
                        Thanks... that is unfortunately bad news.

Comment

• Where should I deposit my miles

Not sure if this post is in its correct place, as it is not directly related to Krisflyer. I am flying on some Thai Airways flights soon on W class, which obviously does not earn anything on Krisflyer. I am thinking of depositing my miles in an entirely new frequent flyer program and start banking there. I am sorta down to United's Mileage Plus (which is pretty generous, but the airline doesn't seem very sustainable) and Canada's aeroplan. I can't seem to find the award charts and program rules of LH's Miles and More to make an assessment there. Would any of you veterans shed some light please on where I can best bank my miles? - I am not intending to fly very often after this and just want to collect (cheaply available) miles for free flights over some years. Thanks

Comment

• In case anyone was thinking of TG, I just had a cursory look at their award redemption chart.

- 55k miles for intra-SEA J award.
                            - 160k miles for SEA-N. America J award.

I know there are other perks such as SWU-like vouchers for earning Gold, but those earn-to-burn ratios are actually far worse than Krisflyer (pre-77W/A380 devaluation)!

Comment

• Hi,

I would like to check how many miles will one get on M&M if booked on SQ E booking class for SIN-KUL-SIN. Will it be 1000 miles or 500 miles? Is the minimum of 500 miles based on per sector?

Also, if the ticket is booked using the KF number, is there any way to give instruction for the miles to be credited to M&M when doing OLCI?

Thanks.

Comment

• 500 per sector minimum (except intra-europe which uses fixed mileage amounts)

Comment

Working...
                                X