This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
    So would it be good to just make a BD account and collect SQ miles with it?
    IMO, yes. After you achieve BD*S (19,000 from a standing start), you'll get a 25% bonus on miles with any *A and BD partner airline, including SQ, VS, QR. KF*S requires 25,000 miles and the bonus is only for flights on SQ, MI and VS.
    Is BD okay though I'll probably never fly bmi in my whole life?
    Doesn't matter. I'm BD *G, yet I haven't been on BD metal in at least six years.
    so now, if i want to become *G as soon as possible ... what's the best program to go for (what program needs the smallest amount of miles to qualify and which one is actually the best when it comes to getting free flights or upgrading?) i kinda need a mix of both ...
    No such magic solution exists: you'll have to trade one benefit off against the other. AC gets you to *G the quickest, but if I'm not mistaken, AC miles don't have the low redemption rates of BD cash+miles. I think QSG would be better able to give you advice on redemptions for AC elites.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 28 September 2007, 04:30 PM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

hah thanks so i'll register for BD now as the package sounds quite good

thanks y'all!
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        IMO, yes. After you achieve BD*S (19,000 from a standing start), you'll get a 25% bonus on miles with any *A and BD partner airline, including SQ, VS, QR. KF*S requires 25,000 miles and the bonus is only for flights on SQ, MI and VS.

Doesn't matter. I'm BD *G, yet I haven't been on BD metal in at least six years.
        No such magic solution exists: you'll have to trade one benefit off against the other. AC gets you to *G the quickest, but if I'm not mistaken, AC miles don't have the low redemption rates of BD cash+miles. I think QSG would be better able to give you advice on redemptions for AC elites.
        Thanks for the nod jj, but I think your advice is spot on. AC Aeropain is a crap shoot at the best of times and they have never been know for their stellar service (it's sadly true, but thankfully still not as bad as some US based carriers). I was myself thinking to give BD a try..........

Comment

Originally posted by QSG View Post
          Platinum Amex gives access to many different lounges on many different airlines........and there is always Priority pass .........
          Well, with Plat AmEx (USA), you have to be flying the carrier to gain entry...(NW/DL, I think - never use this...)

If you can get a US-based Centurion, you can get *G on US for free, as I understand!

Comment

Originally posted by QSG View Post
            Thanks for the nod jj, but I think your advice is spot on. AC Aeropain is a crap shoot at the best of times and they have never been know for their stellar service (it's sadly true, but thankfully still not as bad as some US based carriers). I was myself thinking to give BD a try..........
            Yup, AC quite bad, as I think they don't even allow mileage upgrades!!

No Star Upgrades, no upgrades using miles....quite bad, imo...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
              Yup, AC quite bad, as I think they don't even allow mileage upgrades!!

No Star Upgrades, no upgrades using miles....quite bad, imo...
              Does BD Diamond Club allow miles/cash upgrades on Star Alliance Members?

Comment

Originally posted by ny911 View Post
                Does BD Diamond Club allow miles/cash upgrades on Star Alliance Members?
                No, but IMO the cash+miles redemption rates more than make up for that shortcoming. The fact that *A miles upgrades are confined to Y/B/H fares limits their usefulness to me, a cheapo fare traveller.
                Last edited by jjpb3; 27 October 2007, 05:14 PM.

Comment

No, but IMO the cash+miles redemption rates more than make up for that shortcoming. The fact that *A miles upgrades are confined to Y/B/H fares limits their usefulness to me, a cheapo fare traveller.
                  Btw,how is the service of the Diamonc Club's CSO? Are they really that bad (or not up to standard)?

Comment

What About When Flying Domestic USA F on UA?

I just found out I may have to make some hops around the USA (LAX=>LAS [VX doesn't fly the route yet] and LAX=>ORD [same issue]). All flights will be in paid F. Thoughts? LH? NH (though I'm not a fan of their expiration policy)? I really don't want to use UA's FFP if I can help it. No sense in adding more miles to my account when I can never use them on the cool *A carriers.

Thanks.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by ny911 View Post
                      Btw,how is the service of the Diamonc Club's CSO? Are they really that bad (or not up to standard)?
                      I've dealt with the call centre mainly when I've redeemed flights or asked for a replacement card / luggage tag. I've always found the reps helpful. For example, they've promised to call me back rather than have me wait while they tried to change an award booking ... and then they did call me back. Cards and replacement tags were promptly sent out when I've called. On the faxing side, all my missing miles have shown up without fail when I've had to fax a request in.

Occasionally, the phone agent will ask you to wait while he or she asks a supervisor (for example, when one wasn't sure whether LHR-BKK-SIN was allowed for a redemption from LHR to SIN). But the extra few seconds it took weren't a big deal.

All in all, I'm quite happy with BD DC.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        I just found out I may have to make some hops around the USA (LAX=>LAS [VX doesn't fly the route yet] and LAX=>ORD [same issue]). All flights will be in paid F. Thoughts? LH? NH (though I'm not a fan of their expiration policy)? I really don't want to use UA's FFP if I can help it. No sense in adding more miles to my account when I can never use them on the cool *A carriers.
                        IIRC, LH miles also expire if you don't bank enough to reach FTL (LH *S). Probably not an issue for you, though, eh?

Comment

IIRC, LH miles also expire if you don't bank enough to reach FTL (LH *S). Probably not an issue for you, though, eh?
                          LH miles don't expire if you don't have status as long as you make a charge every month to the new M&M World Mastercards issued by Barclays/Juniper in the US.

Comment

Yeah, I'm clear on the expiring thing (covered it in another post) and know that NH's don't expire if you're Diamond with them...however, I don't see myself reaching it. I'm just wondering about my original question : given a few of these little hops around the US and my hatred for UA, what program would you guys recommend?
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              I'm just wondering about my original question : given a few of these little hops around the US and my hatred for UA, what program would you guys recommend?
                              BD. Miles don't expire, and cash+miles means you have the opportunity to use your miles sooner (at a lower redemption level). Even if BD gets taken over by LH and DC is folded into M&M, your BD miles will just transfer over.

Comment

Thanks, man. Much appreciated.
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X