This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks fone!

How long do KF miles last as opposed to ROP miles? And do miles credited from hotel stays count toward status? I'm staying at a Hilton for a fortnight, so that should get me some miles, right?

With all of this reading though, I'm still stumped with which program I should credit to!!!

And then again...I've checked the M&M & BMI websites as well....but I'm not sure how I would be able to redeem flights on those while I'm based in South Asia.
    Last edited by love2travel; 5 November 2010, 04:35 PM. Reason: add more

Comment

• I was soft landed to EG status on KF after one year of not flying in J at all.... I have until 31st July 2011 to clock 50k miles to re-qualify for EG status. As of now, I have already re-qualified and so my EG status will expires on 31st July 2012..... I have also TG card but have not clock any miles on them. Looking at my schedule for the next six months, I am sure I will qualify EG on the TG card if I work on it.

Now question is, are there any benefits to get myself EG status on TG? Clocking miles on TG, will it be easier to redeem for seats with TG as compared with SQ?
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• go for BD*G for its outstanding earn/burn ratio

Comment

• Aegean?

OK, I'm one of those who uses SQ regularly for business because of company policies. I was QPP for several years, but given changes in my company's travel policies, job scope and family life, I failed to requalify this year and am now a lowly Silver.

The one that I need is lounge access - so I need to get *G status quickly. I'm less particular about mileage redemption opportunities, cause these days, availability is not particularly good for the destinations/times I want to fly, that I almost always end up purchasing tickets on alternative carriers (including budget).

I think I'd be able to clock around 30,000 miles a year on a mix of Business and Economy on SQ mostly on regional routes.

I'm now thinking of getting a quick *G status via the Aegean program. My company policy allows me to fly Business on UA to HK (or economy on SQ). I calculate that all I need is 3 business class roundtrips (my bookings are C class which gives a 100% bonus according to the website) to HK on UA to achieve *G on Aegean, which I should easily be able to do. I would probably continue accumulating the rest of the miles on the pathetic KF program - at least I get 25% bonus and from time to time, redeem DPS tickets for the family for a steal.

Questions:

1. Is this a sensible approach?

2. Once I achieve *G on Aegean, would I get lounge access when traveling Y on SQ even if I accrue mileage on KF?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
            I think I'd be able to clock around 30,000 miles a year on a mix of Business and Economy on SQ mostly on regional routes.

I'm now thinking of getting a quick *G status via the Aegean program. My company policy allows me to fly Business on UA to HK (or economy on SQ). I calculate that all I need is 3 business class roundtrips (my bookings are C class which gives a 100% bonus according to the website) to HK on UA to achieve *G on Aegean, which I should easily be able to do. I would probably continue accumulating the rest of the miles on the pathetic KF program - at least I get 25% bonus and from time to time, redeem DPS tickets for the family for a steal.

Questions:

1. Is this a sensible approach?

2. Once I achieve *G on Aegean, would I get lounge access when traveling Y on SQ even if I accrue mileage on KF?

Thanks.
            Do check, or see if anyone here knows, if the 200% accrual rate refers to redeemable miles or elite qualification miles (or both). Like if u fly C class and put your miles to UA, you get 125% redeemable miles but 150% qualification miles or like the 25% bonus for Krisflyer silver only applies to redeemable miles.

I like UA's 30k redemption to N.Asia destinations on SQ business plus no fuel surcharge, like going to TPE on SQ's A330 C for just S$40+ taxs (+ 30k miles).

1) If you do consider other destinations other than DPS, Aegean program needs only 25k miles for most "Far East" destinations, some might be cheaper than SQ, esp if you have lots of bonus miles. You might want to consider putting the rest of the miles to Aegean too (not sure if they charge fuel surcharge).

2) There's two fields for FFP to fill up (I forgot their names), but you will need to get a competent agent to do it for you, like you can accrue PPS value but put the miles to other programs. One for status, one to put miles into.

Or you can just put your Krisflyer number. I used to just show my boarding pass (with UA *S FFP number) with my Krisflyer Gold card to gain access to lounges. No issues with that. Just maybe no priority boarding?

Comment

• Originally posted by fone View Post
              Do check, or see if anyone here knows, if the 200% accrual rate refers to redeemable miles or elite qualification miles (or both). Like if u fly C class and put your miles to UA, you get 125% redeemable miles but 150% qualification miles or like the 25% bonus for Krisflyer silver only applies to redeemable miles.

I like UA's 30k redemption to N.Asia destinations on SQ business plus no fuel surcharge, like going to TPE on SQ's A330 C for just S$40+ taxs (+ 30k miles).

1) If you do consider other destinations other than DPS, Aegean program needs only 25k miles for most "Far East" destinations, some might be cheaper than SQ, esp if you have lots of bonus miles. You might want to consider putting the rest of the miles to Aegean too (not sure if they charge fuel surcharge).

2) There's two fields for FFP to fill up (I forgot their names), but you will need to get a competent agent to do it for you, like you can accrue PPS value but put the miles to other programs. One for status, one to put miles into.

Or you can just put your Krisflyer number. I used to just show my boarding pass (with UA *S FFP number) with my Krisflyer Gold card to gain access to lounges. No issues with that. Just maybe no priority boarding?
              Thanks. After further thought, I've decided not to go down the A3 route, sticking to KF for now. It's down to laziness more than anything. I don't want to deal with customer service in Greece over unposted mileage, etc.

Since lounge access is what I need most, may just get a Priority Pass membership (granted, not the best lounges, but it is the most flexible program). FYI, Stanchart Visa Infinite card in Singapore gives a free full Priority Pass membership, so let me see if they'd waive first year annual fee. And maybe this year I may be able to get the 50k miles on SQ for KFEG.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                FYI, Stanchart Visa Infinite card in Singapore gives a free full Priority Pass membership, so let me see if they'd waive first year annual fee. And maybe this year I may be able to get the 50k miles on SQ for KFEG.
                From what I know, the card application is by invitation only, thus I am not sure if you can just apply for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by slacker View Post
                  From what I know, the card application is by invitation only, thus I am not sure if you can just apply for that.
                  You need to be a Priority Banking customer.

Comment

• You can get a full priority membership from Citibank in Korea for US$30 per year annual fee credit card. Cool huh?

Comment

• I decided to go down the OZ route. 40k in two years gives two years *G. I was wary of A3 because of word of mergers and possible FFP changes. Plus 40k over two years seems easier than 20k in one year in case flying patters are unpredictable. Plan is to credit to OZ until I hit the 40k, then credit the remaining miles in the 2 year qualifying window to KF. Once the next 2 year qualifying window starts, I'll start crediting to OZ again. That way, I'm effectively paying a 20k/year tax for *G status (lounge access, extra baggage, and better chances in the event of missed connections are the key features for me). Hopefully in good years, I'll make a reasonable KF balance, in lean years, I'll at least have *G.

If only BD were sticking around, I might try harder to stay with them; best FFP by far!

Comment

• Hi Guys,
                        I've problem with deciding "Which FFP for me?" I am now in Los Angeles and I'm usually travel between LAX-CGK-LAX in summer and winter break (2x times a year) and some domestic flight in North America 1-2x times. Right now I've Krisflyer and i just enrolled Royal Orchid (TG), I've got 40.000 miles on my KF account and I've to get 15,312 additional Miles required for elite silver qualification.
                        Usually I'm traveling by SQ in Y class between LAX-CGK-LAX, but since there's no more executive economy class on SQ A345 as they already changed to All business class configuration, so I moved to Thai airways because the bad schedule between LAX-CGK with SQ 12/11.
                        Could anyone advice me to move to Royal Orchid plus or just keep stay on Krisflyer. Because to get Silver status on Royal Orchid I just need to accomplish 15,000 Miles I can get that on this winter break for 19.376 miles just fly LAX-CGK-LAX (I calculated from my previous trip on my KF account). So can anyone advice me which FFP for me? and I want to managed my status to get *Gold so I've access to lounge.

Thank you
                        *Sorry with my bad English

Comment

• Originally posted by Formzs View Post
                          Hi Guys,
                          I've problem with deciding "Which FFP for me?" I am now in Los Angeles and I'm usually travel between LAX-CGK-LAX in summer and winter break (2x times a year) and some domestic flight in North America 1-2x times. Right now I've Krisflyer and i just enrolled Royal Orchid (TG), I've got 40.000 miles on my KF account and I've to get 15,312 additional Miles required for elite silver qualification.
                          Usually I'm traveling by SQ in Y class between LAX-CGK-LAX, but since there's no more executive economy class on SQ A345 as they already changed to All business class configuration, so I moved to Thai airways because the bad schedule between LAX-CGK with SQ 12/11.
                          Could anyone advice me to move to Royal Orchid plus or just keep stay on Krisflyer. Because to get Silver status on Royal Orchid I just need to accomplish 15,000 Miles I can get that on this winter break for 19.376 miles just fly LAX-CGK-LAX (I calculated from my previous trip on my KF account). So can anyone advice me which FFP for me? and I want to managed my status to get *Gold so I've access to lounge.

Thank you
                          *Sorry with my bad English
                          Here is how you can qualify for Silver ROP
                          This second tier status is attained with Qualifying Miles earned during 3 evaluation periods.
                          10,000 Qualifying Miles from the date of enrolment up to December 31 of the same year, or 10,000 Qualifying Miles during the first complete calendar year after enrolment, a calendar year defined as January 1 to December 31 of any given year.

15,000 Qualifying Miles from the date of enrolment up to December 31 of the next complete calendar year.
                          On attaining Silver status you will receive your personalised membership card, a Member’s Handbook, and 3,000 threshold bonus miles.
                          so if you just enrolled. you only need 10,000 miles to qualify for silver until next December (aka 31-Dec-2011)

this is how to qualify for gold :
                          50,000 Qualifying Miles from the date of enrolment up to December 31 of the same year, or 50,000 Qualifying Miles during the first complete calendar year after enrolment, a calendar year defined as January 1 to December 31 of any given year.

80,000 Qualifying Miles from the date of enrolment up to December 31 of the next complete calendar year. 40 international flown sectors on THAI within any 1 calendar year.*
                          so you need 50K to qualify until 31-Dec-2011.

since u make 2 trip a year (winter and summer) then you may qualify for 50k
                          dec 2010 LAX-CGK
                          jan 2011 (i suppose) CGK-LAX
                          then summer 2011 LAX-CGK-LAX
                          thats almost 40k (19,398 x 2 = 38,796). BKK - LAX = 8,260, BKK - CGK = 1,439
                          if you do LAX - CGK before 31-Dec-2011, then additional 9,699
                          so total is 48,495.

you are kind of short of 1505.

you can either fly back to us by 31-Dec-2011 or you can do some domestic flight in us using UA or do a CGK-BKK-CGK when you are back during summer time. That's will make you qualify for Gold.

Or you can fly back on Premium Economy on LAX-BKK trip during the summer. They will give you 110%.
                          19,398 + (2*110%*8,260 + 2*1,439) + 9,699 = 50,147
                          Last edited by lingua101; 30 November 2010, 11:40 AM.
                          visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                            Here is how you can qualify for Silver ROP

so if you just enrolled. you only need 10,000 miles to qualify for silver until next December (aka 31-Dec-2011)

this is how to qualify for gold :

so you need 50K to qualify until 31-Dec-2011.

since u make 2 trip a year (winter and summer) then you may qualify for 50k
                            dec 2010 LAX-CGK
                            jan 2011 (i suppose) CGK-LAX
                            then summer 2011 LAX-CGK-LAX
                            thats almost 40k (19,398 x 2 = 38,796). BKK - LAX = 8,260, BKK - CGK = 1,439
                            if you do LAX - CGK before 31-Dec-2011, then additional 9,699
                            so total is 48,495.

you are kind of short of 1505.

you can either fly back to us by 31-Dec-2011 or you can do some domestic flight in us using UA or do a CGK-BKK-CGK when you are back during summer time. That's will make you qualify for Gold.

Or you can fly back on Premium Economy on LAX-BKK trip during the summer. They will give you 110%.
                            19,398 + (2*110%*8,260 + 2*1,439) + 9,699 = 50,147
                            Thank you lingua101 for the explanations.. I think the best way for me to qualify the *Silver status and *Gold status faster move to ROP.. last month i just enrolled the ROP @ November, i think that i should enroll again for december so i can make it 1 year i guess

Thank you for you help lingua101

Comment

• Advice needed... TG or SQ

Okay, good news is business class travel is back!!! yay!... but no J on SQ, they are too d... expensive.... so will travel J on TG, which is about half the price...

Question is, should I clock the miles with TG or Krisflyer? Does TG have PPS status like SQ? Looking at my plans for this year, will definitely score the minimum 50k to attained gold by June (in fact I am already gold for my KF card, therefore gold on star alliance) ... what should I do?
                              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• There was talk of a Platinum status at Thai, it's not out yet though. check the ROP forum at FT for more info.
                                My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Working...
                                X