New to KrisFlyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to KrisFlyer

Newbie here, holiday flights have switched from EK to SQ. Wife and I are doing Australia, so LHR-SIN-PER, various internal flights then DRW-SIN-LHR (all the long-haul is in business). So a few questions on KrisFlyer:

1. Do we both need to sign up?

2. Is it best to add membership number(s) via TA, or get the booking ref from the TA and then get online? Not sure how SIA's website works!

3. Any other top tips? (I'll probably ask more general questions on the other forums).

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Tocsin View Post
    Newbie here, holiday flights have switched from EK to SQ. Wife and I are doing Australia, so LHR-SIN-PER, various internal flights then DRW-SIN-LHR (all the long-haul is in business). So a few questions on KrisFlyer:

1. Do we both need to sign up?

2. Is it best to add membership number(s) via TA, or get the booking ref from the TA and then get online? Not sure how SIA's website works!

3. Any other top tips? (I'll probably ask more general questions on the other forums).

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to SQTalk, Tocsin!

Yes, recommend both of you sign up. That said, if you are based in the UK, and are flying European airlines more often than SQ. It may make more sense to sign up for another Star Alliance FF programme (e.g. LH or TK) depending on your travel, which will still allow you to earn points on SQ flights. I'll leave the other experts on this forum to comment on this point, as I am based in SG, and in my case Krisflyer makes the most sense.

Best to add the frequent flyer number at time of booking, through the TA. But if not, you can always add it to the booking later.

Other tips:

- I believe all J fares will accrue mileage. When booking SQ tickets, if booking in Y, check the fare class, as many fares earn only 50% mileage in Y, some 10% and for some promotional fares no mileage at all.

- The J product varies according to equipment, with the biggest difference being regional J seats (A330 and some 777's) and the long haul J (A380, 77W, some other 777's). There is also a new but less common J product (77WN) which is an incremental improvement over the existing long haul J product. If schedule allows you to make a choice, the longhaul J is much more comfortable than the regional J.

- The "Book the Cook" (BTC) menu is worth a look...you can pre-select your meals.

Comment

Thanks, yflyer!

Good point on the Star Alliance - we are based in the UK, and most short-haul is with BA, so unfortunately no gain there.

We hope to have one or two more long-haul J trips in the next year or so to Australasia/ Asia, so hope to gain enough points to be useful - if not, the holidays should be fun anyway

I'll have a look at the equipment - I think its A380 to/ from SIN, 777-200 (is that the W?) to Perth, not sure type (Silk Air, I believe) from Darwin.

Comment

Originally posted by Tocsin View Post
        Thanks, yflyer!

Good point on the Star Alliance - we are based in the UK, and most short-haul is with BA, so unfortunately no gain there.

We hope to have one or two more long-haul J trips in the next year or so to Australasia/ Asia, so hope to gain enough points to be useful - if not, the holidays should be fun anyway

I'll have a look at the equipment - I think its A380 to/ from SIN, 777-200 (is that the W?) to Perth, not sure type (Silk Air, I believe) from Darwin.
        Welcome to SQTalk!

Keep in my mind that if you do go ahead with signing up for a Star Alliance FFP, flying on Silk Air won't count for miles unless the FFP is KrisFlyer. SQ has kept Silk Air out of Star Alliance.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
          Welcome to SQTalk!

Keep in my mind that if you do go ahead with signing up for a Star Alliance FFP, flying on Silk Air won't count for miles unless the FFP is KrisFlyer. SQ has kept Silk Air out of Star Alliance.
          What about VS's flying club?

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
            What about VS's flying club?
            Here is information about earning VS miles on SQ:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...-airlines.html

Comment

Thanks, SQGamespeed!

Will almost certainly be sticking with SQ (if the destinations make sense).

Interesting question about Virgin in reddevil0728's post, as some of our internal flights may be with Virgin Australia.

Comment

Working...
              X