Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing up for KrisFlyer Questions

Hi,

Me and another person are traveling from SFO to TRV via SIN on June 12th. I'm coming back on June 25th, while the other person is coming back on July 11. Since I have taken Singapore Airlines multiple times, I thought of signing up for KrisFlyer (NOTE: Itinerary is not booked yet).

Since both of us had already become members of KF, a few questions:

1) We're booking from a travel agent, from what I was told can we still earn miles even if we booked from a TA or 3rd party source?

2) Both of us are flying Economy Class. Coming from SFO to SIN on SQ15, we have a long layover of 19+ hrs. Our plan is to use the transit lounge to freshen up/eat breakfast and visit the City. Moreover, is there any special lounges (T3 preferably) we can use as members despite flying Economy class and are is it free or we have to pay after a certain time (Told after 3 hours of using it, we have to pay). If we have to pay how much would it be from that point onwards?

Thanks!

You'll certainly earn miles even when booking through a 3rd party. The number of miles you earn depends on the booking class, though.

As for the lounge, what lounge are you talking about? What tier of KrisFlyer are you? If you are KF Blue, then you can pay to use the Ambassador Transit Lounge. However, if you claim the free S$40 vouchers at Changi, you can redeem those vouchers for the use of the lounge.

If you are talking about KF Gold, then there is a specific Gold lounge. I do not believe they make you pay at all to use it.
    Fly well,
    Travel safe,
    And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

Yeah I'm KrisFlyer Blue. I was told it was free for 3 hours then after that we pay to use the lounge.

As for the vouchers, where can we claim them at? I know it's about 3 months away, but just want to know in advance.

Comment

Unfortunately, if you aren't KrisFlyer Gold (or *A Gold), you have no free lounge access when flying in Y. However, the KrisFlyer Gold Lounges don't have showers, so I don't think the lounge you'd have been able to access for free with status would have been what you were looking for anyway.

However, as SQ747 suggests, you can use the vouchers claimed via the transit voucher programme to access the Ambassador Transit Lounges, which do have showers. They're not free, though most people think of them as being "free" since they paid no money out of their own pockets for them by using the aforementioned vouchers.

I believe you should be able to claim the vouchers by presenting your ticket/boarding pass at the iShop Changi counters in the transit area. Any information counter will be happy to direct you there (or wherever else they are issuing vouchers at the moment).

One issue you might have is that I think they're discontinuing the transit voucher programme sometime in April or May, so you may not be able to collect any, and hence will have to pay to use the transit lounge.

Also, one other thing: if you want to go land-side there's an arrival lounge (with showers, I believe) in T3 you can use (for a fee).

Comment

Originally posted by chisquared View Post
          One issue you might have is that I think they're discontinuing the transit voucher programme sometime in April or May, so you may not be able to collect any, and hence will have to pay to use the transit lounge.
          Any links or has anyone else heard about this? Would be most interesting if it's discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Any links or has anyone else heard about this? Would be most interesting if it's discontinued.
            Extended until March 2016

Changi website

Comment

Cheers for that, that's especially good news for the OP! Shower problem solved.

Comment

I'll only consider that, but at the moment me and my mom will stay at the Ambassador Transit Hotel T3.

Also another question...From what the website states, when I make my first transacation online into my KrisFlyer account (in this case my itinerary from a travel agent), I will receive my permanent card in the mail. However, when I called SQ's 1-800 number, they said that I will only receive it after I travel.

Just to confirm, will they send me my permanent card before I leave or after travel? (As per making my first transaction).

Thanks

Comment

You need to have a KF point enter your account somehow, usually travel

Comment

I already entered my itinerary code into mine and my mom's KF account. Now I have the option to select seats, meals, etc. I don't see any miles in my account though they mention my total miles to/from as a total trip mileage.

In short, does this mean I only earn miles while traveling/after traveling (as per travel dates in June) thus most likely receiving my permanent card after travel?

Comment

To be totally clear, pretty much, yes.

Comment

No fly, no miles.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Recently did a trip on June 12 to Trivandrum and got back to SFO on Wednesday afternoon. Sadly, no new seats on the ICN route both ways, only heard it was on the HKG route. Hopefully next Summer it will have the new 2013 product on a daily basis (And not 2 weekly with the 2013 product and Premium Economy)

Will post a trip report later on.

However, as far as KrisFlyer goes, I have 20,000+ miles as of Wednesday.

How many miles til I get Silver (Assuming my next trip could be August 2016 on SQ)? And are there any benfits and any lounges eligible as Silver?

I know Gold is 50,000 which will surely be by my 3rd trip with SQ.

Also, I know there are other ways to earn miles but....suppose I plan to travel domestically (like Florida) by any local Star Alliance carrier (..say United or Air Canada), will I still be able to earn miles on my KrisFlyer account?

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                            Thanks everyone. Recently did a trip on June 12 to Trivandrum and got back to SFO on Wednesday afternoon. Sadly, no new seats on the ICN route both ways, only heard it was on the HKG route. Hopefully next Summer it will have the new 2013 product on a daily basis (And not 2 weekly with the 2013 product and Premium Economy)

Will post a trip report later on.

However, as far as KrisFlyer goes, I have 20,000+ miles as of Wednesday.

How many miles til I get Silver (Assuming my next trip could be August 2016 on SQ)? And are there any benfits and any lounges eligible as Silver?

I know Gold is 50,000 which will surely be by my 3rd trip with SQ.

Also, I know there are other ways to earn miles but....suppose I plan to travel domestically (like Florida) by any local Star Alliance carrier (..say United or Air Canada), will I still be able to earn miles on my KrisFlyer account?
                            You have to earn 25,000 miles to get Silver. Here are the benefits of Silver. You get lounge access when you're at Gold (but you can access SKL if your flying in J, F, or Suites).

Yes, you can credit miles earned on Star Alliance partners to KF, as long as you book a class which is eligible to earn miles. Here is the current eligibility chart.

Comment

Working...
                            X