Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Australia readies Singapore Airlines frequent flyer points swap

Virgin Australia readies Singapore Airlines frequent flyer points swap

Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines will reveal the ‘exchange rate’ for converting between Velocity points and KrisFlyer miles towards the end of this month, ahead of a November kick-off for the innovative scheme.

Frequent flyers of both airlines are eagerly awaiting details such as the conversion formula – which is not expected to be at a straight 1:1 parity rate – along with any associated costs and annual limits on the number of points swapped between each airline’s reward program.

“The volume of transfers, fees, maximum or minimum numbers, the exact terms and conditions – we’re going to announce all of that” Neil Thompson, CEO of Virgin Australia’s Velocity Frequent Flyer business, tells Australian Business Traveller, adding that he believes the conversion rate “will be a very good value proposition.”

“We’ve got a lot of travellers who are members of both (Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines) programs or who fly on both networks” Thompson says, “but what can happen is that you end up with a points balance spread across several programs.”

“Members are often telling us they have points here and points there, and they wish they could put them all together” Thompson explains.

“There’s real value if you have points orphaned in a program, because this lets people consolidate all their points to where it makes the most sense, based on their travel.”

“I think this is going to be very popular in WA, for example”

Australia is said to hold the highest number of KrisFlyer members outside of Singapore, and Thompson says that Virgin Australia has “a very complementary network with Singapore Airlines. Our network is predominately domestic while theirs is totally international.”

One advantage that Virgin Australia Velocity members will have over their KrisFlyer counterparts is family pooling, which can funnel the points earned by several family members into a single account.
    Read: Virgin Australia's Velocity family pooling – tips and tricks for sharing your points.

Savvy shoppers will also look to both the Velocity eStore and the KrisFlyer Spree online shopping mall to earn more points in each airline's respective currency in order to top up their account balance before a transfer – especially in cases where the same purchase can earn more points in the 'stronger' currency.

The unique points-conversion deal is the first initiative in Virgin Australia’s campaign to drive Velocity to 7 million members by 2017, winning over an increasing number of Qantas frequent flyer in the process

Source: http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austr...n=home-flipper
    Good news to Australian frequent flyers on SQ to Asia.

Looks like eventually you can earn Velocity points by flying on Virgin Australia, then convert them to Krisflyer points for a lower rate to redeem your X Class tickets to Asia and Europe.

Australia is said to hold the highest number of KrisFlyer members outside of Singapore, and Thompson says that Virgin Australia has “a very complementary network with Singapore Airlines. Our network is predominately domestic while theirs is totally international.

Well, every flight Ex-SIN is international.
    Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
      Good news to Australian frequent flyers on SQ to Asia.

Looks like eventually you can earn Velocity points by flying on Virgin Australia, then convert them to Krisflyer points for a lower rate to redeem your X Class tickets to Asia and Europe.
      I already earn KF Miles on every domestic VA flight. Before flying I simply enter my KF number and the points automatically credit my account. I don't need a Velocity membership to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        I already earn KF Miles on every domestic VA flight. Before flying I simply enter my KF number and the points automatically credit my account. I don't need a Velocity membership to do this.
        With the conversion scheme, you will be earning more points under Velocity and able to transfer back to SQ.

Under Velocity Frequent Flyer, you will be earning 5 points per A$1 spent on your services, which means for short haul routes, such as SYD-MEL etc., you will be earning more than Krisflyer points (subject to exchange rate) on Velocity.

Moreover, it is much easier to get to Gold Membership as well. Under SQ, you will need to fly 4.5x HKG-SYD return via SiN to get to Gold, but under Velocity, you will only need 3 HKG - SIN -SYD v.v. plus 1x SYD - MEL v.v., plus family pooling of status credits which you can reach Gold or even platinum faster.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          You can also upgrade on VA flights by converting your KF Miles to Velocity Points, and same in reverse. Currently you can't upgrade using Velocity/KrisFlyer points/miles on the other airline.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I'll wait for others to test out the fine print regaarding Elite Gold first. Velocity Gold will mean something for flying with SQ, but not with other Star Alliance, such as LH. I've also never been able to find what Velocity Platinum translates to. The devil is in the detail, and the devil is about to change...

Comment

Hope for the best.

Comment

Has anyone heard any whispers about what date this is likely to kick-off?

Comment

Conversion is 1.35:1 for both carriers, according to AusBT.

Seems to up and running on VA's site by the looks of this other article.

Comment

You can link your accounts through either airline's program. Instructions for KrisFlyer members here:
                    https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/p...es-conversion/

Just ensure you're a member of both programs or if not, sign up to the partner program before you attempt to link as the system won't automatically create a new account for you. Please note residency requirements for VFF membership.

FYI I linked my KrisFlyer account number through the VFF site, and my VFF details were automatically populated when I logged into KrisFlyer so it seems there's no need to repeat the process with both.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Here's an interesting fact. Points transfers from VA to SQ seem to be instant. I just transferred a swag of points and they were in my SQ account within 20 seconds!

Comment

Looks interesting. How does the family pooling work? It appears you can pool not just the miles, but also status credits. So earning Gold could be really much easier.

Also, would you be able to double dip, i.e. credit miles to Velocity (in the process earning status credits), and also PPS value on KF?

Comment

Any velocity member here? Do you guys know if redeeming SQ on velocity will incur SQ's YQ?
                          Life's A Bitch,
                          Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Hi inix, Velocity does not charge fuel surcharges for any Reward Seat redemptions.

Comment

Originally posted by bluepanda View Post
                              Looks interesting. How does the family pooling work? It appears you can pool not just the miles, but also status credits. So earning Gold could be really much easier.
                              All details here:
                              http://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com...FamilyPooling/

Comment

Working...
                              X