J Redemption (SIN-AMS/ MUC-SIN )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Redemption (SIN-AMS/ MUC-SIN )

Finally, I have a reason to search for available J redemption. I am planning a Europe trip and this will be my first J redemption, if it goes through at all.

SIN-AMS (20/9)
    MUC-SIN (5/10)

No saver J redemption available for either leg. Only standard/ full awards are available even after switching the arrival and departing airports around. And it seems really insane to redeem a standard/ full award.

Does it make sense to go for an upgrade-able revenue Y and waitlist for a miles upgrade to J? Being able to upgrade on either leg would BE good enough as I have never been in J and this would be a treat.

As long as you can waitlist your saver redemption, you are still good.

MUC-SIN is easily available in F for only very few miles.

Comment

Thank you SMK77.

You are referring to wait listing a saver J seat rather than wait listing a Y-J upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by sabian View Post
        Thank you SMK77.

You are referring to wait listing a saver J seat rather than wait listing a Y-J upgrade?
        Correct. I think that redeeming a J ticket is usually cheaper as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
          Correct. I think that redeeming a J ticket is usually cheaper as well.
          Would I be pushing my luck if I attempted to waitlist for 2 J tickets to and fro?

Comment

Why don't you wait-list for J redemption and then give KF a call or two (or three). If you ask nicely (and persistently), you may get your wish.

However, if the travel is critical, then it is better to get your Y ticket and then waitlist for upgrade. At least you won't be left stranded.

Comment

Thank KC*

I will take that route.

Add: I did the booking. Just curious, are seat maps displayed during seat selection really showing the actual seats sold?

SIN-AMS, there are only about 7 seats available and not one of them are aisle or window!
              Ditto for the MUC-SIN!

Have their loads improved that much or is this another recent SQ "enhancement"?
              Last edited by sabian; 1 August 2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian View Post

SIN-AMS, there are only about 7 seats available and not one of them are aisle or window!
                Ditto for the MUC-SIN!?
                ??? How can any J seat not have aisle access?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  ??? How can any J seat not have aisle access?
                  Apologies.

I went with KC*'s suggestion and booked flexi-Y and waitlisted J upgrades.

According to the seat maps (SIN-AMS/ MUC-SIN), Y is packed to the rafters...

Comment

I notice that large segments of Y cabin is always blocked out months ahead. I suspect these are reserved for travel agents and some choice seats for passengers with status. I don't think they are actually taken.

Having said that, on a recent SIN-AMS flight, my J cabin had only a few empty seats! I didn't check the Y cabin, though.

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
                      I notice that large segments of Y cabin is always blocked out months ahead. I suspect these are reserved for travel agents and some choice seats for passengers with status. I don't think they are actually taken.
                      It's normal for about half of the Y seats to be blocked for airport assignment, to make it easier for the check-in agents to keep travel parties together.

Comment

On expertflyer, one can see which are the blocked ones.
                        For the above flights, most seats are blocked. Flights are not full.
                        I also learnt another reason for blocking from a check-in agent 2 weeks ago. The term is 'aircraft trimming'. My flight was very full in business and very empty in Y. So they blocked most of the first section of the Y cabin so the heavy front of the plane is then balanced by the rear. The first section of the Y cabin has barely more than 30 pax.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                          On expertflyer, one can see which are the blocked ones.
                          For the above flights, most seats are blocked. Flights are not full.
                          I also learnt another reason for blocking from a check-in agent 2 weeks ago. The term is 'aircraft trimming'. My flight was very full in business and very empty in Y. So they blocked most of the first section of the Y cabin so the heavy front of the plane is then balanced by the rear. The first section of the Y cabin has barely more than 30 pax.
                          Thanks SQueeze for the look-in.

Hope that, if J upgrade is not possible, more Y seats are available for selection as my wife and I are not even seated together as there are no 2 consecutive seats available.

Comment

Working...
                          X