No announcement yet.

SIA "Priority Boarding" - Krisflyer Elite Gold & Star Alliance Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only bother about priority boarding when flying on narrow bodies, whether in Y or the 'J' some airlines have on them, especially in Europe because of the hand luggage issues, which is undoubtedly getting worse. On a KL flight from HEL-AMS earlier this month they made repeated appeals at the gate prior to boarding for more people to check luggage. Of course hardly anybody did and there was a real bun fight on board for the overhead bins that resulted in us leaving late. I now do a lot of BA flights to and from LHR and these days just reserve a seat towards the back ( despite my BA Gold status automatically offering me a seat in row 1) to make it easier to ensure I get my luggage overhead. In J or F on a wide body I could care less as I know I'll be ok with my hand luggage.

Originally posted by Audio View Post
    I really find it a chore to be lugging bags around. I find it to be a disservice to myself and I would check-in everything I could against George Clooney's advice in "Up In The Air". Yes, it saves a couple of minutes but really, I don't need the workout.

(Audio)
    Never presume everyone travels the same as you. I have no choice but to take hand luggage as many of my trips involve being in a different city or even country on a daily basis so if my checked bag went missing it would rarely be able to catch me up. Been there, done that. No thanks.

On the few occassions I do check luggage I agree it's pretty relaxing, but those are few and far between and just when I have the missus in tow. One such trip being later this week to Athens...

Comment

Well, let's see what Singapore Airlines comes back with as a response. My note to Customer Services is as follows:

On a recent Singapore Airlines flight, I noticed that Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Elite Gold / Star Alliance Gold members board the aircraft in the same "Priority Lane" as PPS Cub and Business Class passengers.

Reference the email below, pertaining to our earlier communications on this matter in 2012, it was represented that:

"... following a change in recent policy, we now board KrisFlyer and Star Alliance Gold members travelling in Economy Class in a separate lane from PPS club members and passengers travelling in premium classes."

I would like to seek clarifications if this is just another "trial" exercise; or if the airline has decided that it is in its best interests to reinstate "Priority Boarding" for ALL its Krisflyer Elite Gold / Star Alliance Gold members.

Thank you.

Comment

Based on my observations so far, Star Alliance Gold passengers are now assigned the "Priority Lane" for flights departing from foreign airports. This was the case for my CAN-SIN (27/7/13) and SGN-SIN (9/8/13) flights.

For flights departing Singapore, it seems that Star Alliance Gold passengers are still being allocated the "Normal Lane" for boarding, but get to the front of the EYCL queue when able to evidence "Gold" status, easily verifiable from the boarding pass. This was the case for my SIN-SGN (4/8/13) flight.

One airline, two different systems?

Comment

Response from SIA:

"While we do our best to segregate the boarding queues for our priority
          passengers (PPS Club members, KF Elite Gold and STAR Gold members), there
          are occasions when we have constraints on the number of queues that can be set
          up.

This is dependent on the rules, regulations and operational capabilities of
          the airport(s) concerned. We do share your sentiments on this policy and have
          relayed your comments to our Loyalty Marketing and Ground Services
          Departments for their re-evaluation of this."

My observations so far:

"Priority Lane" boarding is available to KFEG / Star Gold at airports ex-CAN; ex-SGN

Comment

Letter to Singapore Airlines Customer Services (1 November 2013)

To recap, Singapore Airlines should provide priority boarding for its Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold members. Boarding should be via a clear and designated lane, made available at all airports, including Singapore Changi International Airport – the home of Singapore Airlines.

Pre-2012, Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold passengers boarded through the “Priority Lane”, reserved for "PPS Club; Solitaire; First Class; Business Class; Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold". This was standardized across all airports worldwide. In my opinion, this was a better and well managed boarding process than now.

At most airports today, including Singapore Changi International Airport, Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold members board in the “Normal Lane” for Economy Class passengers. Granted, we get to the front of the pack, after your ground staff’s inspection of our boarding pass. However, has the airline considered:

a) how this is perceived by Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold frequent flyers? We board in a “Normal Lane” that is designated for Economy Class. Seriously?
            b) that this appears disorderly and it adds workload for your ground staff, who might have to deal with unnecessary clarifications from non-frequent flyers, questioning why other Economy Class passengers were able to cut the queue in front of them? [Whilst ground staffs make pre-boarding announcements, explaining the boarding sequence, queue cutting is still visually unpleasant.]

I have noted your explanation that there are operational constraints faced by Singapore Airlines at airports. Has your committee therefore:

a) clarified with Singapore Changi International Airport why an additional “Priority Lane” for Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold frequent flyers is operationally challenging / unfeasible?

b) studied and evaluated how other Star Alliance partners board their priority passengers (includes Star Alliance Gold frequent flyers) – at Singapore Changi International Airport and other Singapore Airlines worldwide destinations?

c) discussed with Station Managers on how the boarding process can be standardized and made consistent across all Singapore Airlines destinations? As an example, Hong Kong International Airport “HKIA” has four designated lanes for A380 flights at Gate # 15: “Suites; Business; Priority Lane; Economy Class”. My suggestion is for the airline to consider having two to three designated lanes for boarding at airports:
            i) “First / Suites” – A380, B777 (certain aircraft types)
            ii) “Business and Priority Frequent Flyers” – all aircraft types
            iii) “Economy Class” – all aircraft types

In summary, whilst the airline is trying to improve its operational processes, Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold frequent flyers should:

a) feel that Singapore Airlines stands out from carriers, and “understands our needs”;
            b) not feel less appreciated than your PPS Club; and Solitaire “gods”;
            c) not feel that our entitled benefits have lost its “shine” and are “consolidated” with the masses.

For your consideration please.

------------------------------------------------------------

Response from Singapore Airlines Customer Services (21 November 2013)

With regard to your comments on priority boarding lanes, we acknowledge your concerns and have highlighted your suggestions to our Ground Services Manager for his consideration. As part of the ongoing review on this, we are pleased to share that our boarding sequence is currently being revised, at the individual cities’ level.

In the interim, we will be deploying additional staff at selected parts of Changi Airport to assist with queue-combing. This is with the purpose to direct our KrisFlyer Gold members that may arrive late, to the priority lanes, where possible. Additionally, your recommendations will also be considered in the upcoming new Changi Airport Terminals.

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. We recognize that we have to remain mindful of the competition and strive to remain your airline of choice.

Comment

i agree with all that KF gold still do not have any priority in term of boarding the plane. I found out that every time i fly with them i still need to queue with all economy class..
              The best one actually is UNITED airlines they have boarding group and that boarding group have different queue line so people will queue accruing to that boarding group.

Comment

a) clarified with Singapore Changi International Airport why an additional “Priority Lane” for Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold frequent flyers is operationally challenging / unfeasible?

At HKG they do it right, or at least did when I came back a couple of months ago, even from the non-A380 gate 15 as I departed on their 777 further down the annex.

Three queues, one for Y, one for PPS/J/F and one solely for KF/*G.

The queue for KF/*G was much shorter than PPS/J/F so 'our' impact would not have been too significant if in a single line and to p!ss off the PPS/J/F queue further our boarding started at exactly the same time anyway. We were all through before PPS/J/F was even half way through itself.

SQ, just make it simple and go back to the way it used to be. One queue for all elites and non-Y but double or triple up the scanners, using even the Y scanner initially to get things progressed speedily.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                  At HKG they do it right, or at least did when I came back a couple of months ago, even from the non-A380 gate 15 as I departed on their 777 further down the annex.

Three queues, one for Y, one for PPS/J/F and one solely for KF/*G.

The queue for KF/*G was much shorter than PPS/J/F so 'our' impact would not have been too significant if in a single line and to p!ss off the PPS/J/F queue further our boarding started at exactly the same time anyway. We were all through before PPS/J/F was even half way through itself.

SQ, just make it simple and go back to the way it used to be. One queue for all elites and non-Y but double or triple up the scanners, using even the Y scanner initially to get things progressed speedily.

I did not see any special queue for KF/*G at HKG gate 16 last Wed.

I agree with you just 2 queues. If they want, they can invite the super elite (F/J/PPS) to board first, then 10-15 min later start inviting the KF/*G to board on the priority queue. then do the general boarding....

does the people travelling with children and needs special assistance come first before the super elite?
                  visit my blog

Comment

They've got it right at nearly every airport around the world, except at their home base. Keep up the good work, champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      They've got it right at nearly every airport around the world, except at their home base. Keep up the good work, champs!

Or they have it right in Singapore and every other boarding controller around the world does it wrong. Huh? Huh?

You know the way SQ guys think here.

Comment

They have not done this right, both at home soil, and at some overseas stations.

No priority lanes are available for *G/KFEG to board ex-Singapore. Singapore Airlines attributed this to operational challenges ex-Singapore.

For overseas stations, too much inconsistency. A few months ago, boarding SQ825 ex-Shanghai was a joke. Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Ho Chi Minh City do it right. Priority lanes are available for *G/KFEG at these stations.

As mentioned in my letter, pre-2012, Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold passengers boarded through the “Priority Lane”, reserved for "PPS Club; Solitaire; First Class; Business Class; Krisflyer and Star Alliance Gold". This was standardized across all airports worldwide. In my opinion, this was a better and well managed boarding process than now.

Also, how can these "operational challenges" be Singapore Airlines specific? Wouldn't other Star Alliance carriers have similar challenges, from identical hubs operated by Singapore Airlines? Why can other Star Alliance carriers still dedicate priority boarding lanes for Star Alliance Gold passengers?

Therefore, my query to Management if their Committee had:

"b) studied and evaluated how other Star Alliance partners board their priority passengers (includes Star Alliance Gold frequent flyers) – at Singapore Changi International Airport and other Singapore Airlines worldwide destinations?"
                        Last edited by SQ380; 22 November 2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Just came back from Shanghai on 825.

It's still the SG system. KF Gold and *G goes through EY line if anyone was wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                            I did not see any special queue for KF/*G at HKG gate 16 last Wed.

I agree with you just 2 queues. If they want, they can invite the super elite (F/J/PPS) to board first, then 10-15 min later start inviting the KF/*G to board on the priority queue. then do the general boarding....

does the people travelling with children and needs special assistance come first before the super elite?
                            i belive eldery, pregant ladies etc they do practise silent baording - staff go around looking for ppl who look like they need special assistance...do they make official boarding announcements?

i am not sure whether this group boards before the PPS

Comment

Some airports have terminals that are equiped with only 1 aerobridge. There are also airports that have 2 aerobridges but only 1 is functioning. ( MNL?, DXB?, DEL?,ROM?, CDG? )

In the situation where only 1 aerobridge is functioning, it matters if it is serving door #1 or #2 of the parked aircraft.

Each airport has its own percularities and situations dynamic. Staff will have to react and decide on the course of action.
                              They would have to consider the local airport ground handling standards, practices. Not all are familiar or want to adopt the airline's boarding standards.

Passengers who require assistance, families with young children and infants, non english speaking etc will board first. This may be done without any annoucements. The reasons might be to reduce congestion that normaly will arise when annoucements are made, or there are just 2 pax that require special assistance.

Having board first will allow the crew to positively identify these pax and sort out any seating issues such as separations or bassinet points and specific safety briefings etc.

As a form of recognition ( being a frequent, repeat customer ) it is nice to be allowed to board first. Though, I believe the real proof of acknowledgment is during the flight and rewards. I make it a point to be early at the gate and board as soon as I can. Overhead bins can fill up quickly regarless of Y or J.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflight Sup View Post

Passengers who require assistance, families with young children and infants, non english speaking etc will board first. This may be done without any annoucements. The reasons might be to reduce congestion that normaly will arise when annoucements are made, or there are just 2 pax that require special assistance.
                                non english speaking? in some airport this may means board almost everyone right?
                                visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                                X