Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please recommend the best card to accumluate miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please recommend the best card to accumluate miles?

Hi guys,

Need some advice from all the old bird here.

I am looking to purchase a present for myself due to recent stock market gains and a good bonus. Currently looking at at Patek Phillipe around 130k.

which card should i use to make the payment, to allow me to maximize the number of miles out of this purchase?

I currently hold the DBS Altitude, Maybank Horizon cards which i most frequently use.

Am open to signing up for other new cards if needed just for this purchase.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Buy it from one of the AMEX special partners and earn 130,000 x 7.8 ~ 1,000,000, but note there may be a limiation on the maximum you can earn on that one

Comment

In lieu of the PP watch, you could fily F to 5 different destinations with change to spend at each of them.

NB Warning: Writer is a small time SQ shareholder!

Comment

recently used the Amex Plat Charge to buy a watch from Hour Glass. Got 10+10 points there which was actually 20pts per $1.60 spent. Only downside is that you are capped at $16k a year before it reverts to normal 10pts so effectively for the first $16k you get 1 mile per 23c once you convert at Amex's 1.6pts per mile. Hope this is useful info for you.

mingster

Comment

thanks for the quick replies!

E-aviation: i wish it was like that! haha but i know about the 16k limit so i guess it will be alot lesser than a million miles.

carbonman: i am hoping to fly in F with some help again!

mingster: may i ask roughly how many points did you manage to get from your purchase?

Comment

apologies.. it was actually more like 13c per mile as opposed to 23c. I maxed it out at 125,000 miles (200k rewards points). Anything extra is only at 10x as opposed to 10+10. Unfortunately I can't afford 6 figure watches

Comment

If you can buy from Hour Glass, I guess Amex Charge is going to be your best friend. Note that there is an annual fee of $1.2K that can't be waived.
              Life's A Bitch,
              Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Make sure you still bargain to get discount of at least 25% ! Most watches I get in Singapore I can get up to 30% discounts. But when they know you WANT that watch, the discounts aren't that great !!

Can you get the GST back at least ??

Comment

Hey guys, how's UOB for Krisflyer miles?

Comment

post deleted
                    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Updates on good cards to earn miles.

I noticed today that DBS now has Visa Altitude. With Visa being widely accepted it now makes sense to switch to DBS over Citi.

Here is the special part 1.6 miles per $1 for every dollar above $1k per month. Citi can't beat that.

Comment

Originally posted by SQDoubter View Post
                        Updates on good cards to earn miles.

I noticed today that DBS now has Visa Altitude. With Visa being widely accepted it now makes sense to switch to DBS over Citi.

Here is the special part 1.6 miles per $1 for every dollar above $1k per month. Citi can't beat that.
                        Just spoke to a DBS rep today. It's not above $1k. I think their website got error. She says it's same as AMEX - $2k min spending.

Comment

For DBS cards, you earn miles in multiples of $5.

For 10 transactions of $14, you do not get $140 spend of miles earned but $100 instead.

Comment

so i figure that the citi premiermiles is still the card to use day to day if your monthly spend does not go above $2000 but if you have a major purchase, the DBS altitude is worth considering?

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for your help previously on the card.

I got the Amex Reserve card ($500/year) and managed to get close to 400k miles for my purchase. Not quite a million miles like pavion suggested, but i was happy with the accrual

I have a new question for you guys. I am currently looking to invest some of my cash into the stock market, and was wondering which banking facilities do most of you guys use.

I do not want/need a private banker, and since i have time on my hands i figured i could play an active role in my investments.

I am looking in the region of 1mil, so which bank should i use? If you already have noticed i signed for the reserve instead of the plat card, so you can roughly tell the way i deal with my savings

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                              X