Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waitlist upgrade SQ317 18 Sep

Hi All,

I'm currently waitlisted to get an upgrade from economy to business on this flight out of london on 18/09/11. It is a Standard award, just wondering what are my chances of being confirmed.

Many thanks

Even SQ doesn't know... They are just trying to sell as many tickets as possible. And at the moment, the cheapo booking classes are closed or on waitlist. Given that only half the cabin is sold, you stand a fair chance.

Standard Upgrades are a waste of money. Did you know you can fly SIN-FRA in First for just 70,000 miles? Buy a ticket FRA-LHR and you are better off.

Comment

I think it would be FRA-SIN if OP is traveling out of LHR to SIN. Basically you go LHR-FRA on a separate flight and book online FRA-SIN on SQ25/26 assuming there is a saver F award seat left. Much better use of mileage.

Otherwise you can try to book LHR-FRA-SIN or LHR-BKK-SIN in LH or TG F (feeder flights in C) for 82.5K KF miles IIRC (no online discount as booking through KF call center, but you can include the feeder / connector flight).

Comment

I don't actually have a choice in the matter as i am flying for work. Hoping to use my own points to upgrade and thats why i am doing this. Do my chances look decent?

Comment

Originally posted by curiousm View Post
          I don't actually have a choice in the matter as i am flying for work. Hoping to use my own points to upgrade and thats why i am doing this. Do my chances look decent?
          No choice? Who is forcing you to use a ticket your company is offering you? Turn it down, don't book it, never accept it.

You pay 76.500 miles just because some is 'forcing' you to use the ticket and you end up in Biz while for 70.125 miles you could get a one-way ticket in First Class all the way to SIN...

Is this a one-way or a return and if a return is the the in- or outbound?

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
            No choice? Who is forcing you to use a ticket your company is offering you? Turn it down, don't book it, never accept it.
            Wooooooah... Slow down tiger, I think the OP needs to clarify his position a litte bit more here...

He did say that he wanted to upgrade to J using miles, it could be that OP's ticket is funded by his employer - which would explain the "no choice in the matter" inference...

Comment

Correct it is a work trip paid by my employer. Coming back LHR-SIN-SYD. Work only covers economy class ticket (part of an external group so i have to travel with the other members of the group). I realise it isn't the best usage of miles, but i have them spare and given that i will be jumping straight back into work when i return to sydney i'm hoping to make the trip home a little more comfortable.

So in the end it does come done looking for any advice on what are the chances the flight will clear being waitlisted?

Comment

Okay, so it's the return leg of your flight to Sydney. Why would you fly the ticket? Because it's paid for? That's hilarious. I spend more miles on an inferior solution because someone paid my Economy ticket...

I would drop the ticket, don't touch it and arrange my ticket to Sydney myself. Especially as the 747 First Class is only around for a very limited time and it's still a much better experience than Business Class.

Comment

Delete - duplicate post

Comment

If you can break from the group, then SMK77's suggestion makes more sense.
                    F is still F. you should go for F over J.

Btw, OP, do you earn miles out of your economy ticket? If not, all the more you should try to discard the ticket and do a full F saver redemption. I assume that your employer does not insist on you returning on same day, same flight, with the rest of the group. If they do, then it's a pity. May be you are better off keeping the miles for your own future trip.

Comment

curiousm, I suggest you check what your company's policies are. Will you be questioned for it by internal/external audit?

Don't risk you job just for the sake of saving some miles and flying F..

While some companies may not care how you travel...some do..

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        curiousm, I suggest you check what your company's policies are. Will you be questioned for it by internal/external audit?

Don't risk you job just for the sake of saving some miles and flying F..

While some companies may not care how you travel...some do..
                        You guys are just too funny... Getting fired for not using something the company is offering to pay for... Some companies don't allow any alterations of fares and tickets but no company can force you to use transportation if you are willing to arrange your own transportation.

Comment

You guys are just too funny... Getting fired for not using something the company is offering to pay for... Some companies don't allow any alterations of fares and tickets but no company can force you to use transportation if you are willing to arrange your own transportation.
                          They can actually - certain key employees need to travel on the companies specified itinerary for insurance purposes. Not necessarily ordinary travel insurance, but for key man insurance or similar (i.e. you can have too many key/senior level employees on one aircraft in case the unthinkable happens).

Comment

Originally posted by Jamiegutz View Post
                            They can actually - certain key employees need to travel on the companies specified itinerary for insurance purposes. Not necessarily ordinary travel insurance, but for key man insurance or similar (i.e. you can have too many key/senior level employees on one aircraft in case the unthinkable happens).
                            That's slightly different, isn't it? I am subject to such policies and I comply with them. Doesn't mean my company can force me flying on Eco if I wanna fly First and pay for it...

Comment

That's slightly different, isn't it? I am subject to such policies and I comply with them. Doesn't mean my company can force me flying on Eco if I wanna fly First and pay for it...
                              I would say that is only different if we are talking about the same aircraft. E.g. OP wants to use his own miles to upgrade on the same aircraft/route that the company has paid for and specified.

Your suggestion is to take a different route alltogether which could be contrary to internal policy.

I actually agree with your sentiment that it makes far more sense to go in F via FRA (i did it myself last week), but i think we have to accept for some it may not be practical

Comment

Working...
                              X