Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for compensations.

Hi all ,

I have a booking from YYZ-JFK-SIN-MEL in J however , recently , I was told that I couldn't take this flight UNLESS an adult is accompanying me to the check-in counter.

I'm a minor and they'll not accept me as a passenger even if my parents were to sign the UM Waiver in Singapore Office.

I had asked for compensations and was given SQ21 (EWR-SIN) and YYZ-EWR however - it's not confirmed until she double-check with EWR to see if they allow me to check-in on my own and wait at the airport for e next connecting flight.

YYZ-EWR is quite limited on * Booking but she's willing to open up full award for SQ21 in a separate booking (can't mix standard and saver on *A booking).

Can you guys suggest what I should ask for - as in where to transit and which metal to take if the above SQ21 cant work out. (Or rather United States can't work).

She found a YYZ-NRT-SIN-MEL however I citied the radiation in Japan and having taken AC1 flight before - I'm not happy w the service thus I do not wish to take that flight. Moreover, I insisted that my current booking is a deal (76.5k if JFK-MEL but paying 70k for YYZ-MEL) and has been ticketed. Transportation from YYZ/MEL , accommodation in YYZ/MEL been arranged.

If there's really no space or she couldn't get SQ21 due to 'minor' - what kind of compensations should I ask for?
    Last edited by cocaman; 24 June 2011, 03:16 AM.

What is the issue? Is it because there is no YYZ-JFK flight and you have to get out of the airport into the USA to connect and US regulations don't allow you that?

To bypass the USA and to avoid AC, I guess you can look into Europe routes?

Comment

Originally posted by cocaman View Post
      Hi all ,

I have a booking from YYZ-JFK-SIN-MEL in J however , recently , I was told that I couldn't take this flight UNLESS an adult is accompanying me to the check-in counter.

I'm a minor and they'll not accept me as a passenger even if my parents were to sign the UM Waiver in Singapore Office.

I had asked for compensations and was given SQ21 (EWR-SIN) and YYZ-EWR however - it's not confirmed until she double-check with EWR to see if they allow me to check-in on my own and wait at the airport for e next connecting flight.

YYZ-EWR is quite limited on * Booking but she's willing to open up full award for SQ21 in a separate booking (can't mix standard and saver on *A booking).

Can you guys suggest what I should ask for - as in where to transit and which metal to take if the above SQ21 cant work out. (Or rather United States can't work).

She found a YYZ-NRT-SIN-MEL however I citied the radiation in Japan and having taken AC1 flight before - I'm not happy w the service thus I do not wish to take that flight. Moreover, I insisted that my current booking is a deal (76.5k if JFK-MEL but paying 70k for YYZ-MEL) and has been ticketed. Transportation from YYZ/MEL , accommodation in YYZ/MEL been arranged.

If there's really no space or she couldn't get SQ21 due to 'minor' - what kind of compensations should I ask for?
      I wouldn't expect any kind of compensation because you won't get any. Surely you must know someone in YYZ who can go up to the counter with you?
      Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Hi SQueeze and pogonation , thanks for your replies.

No, departing YYZ is of no problem. I can get my school driver to accompany me to the airport.

However when transiting from LGA-JFK and checking in at the JFK Counter - they need an adult to be there (JFK). They must receive the UM Form in-person from a responsible adult. No question ask. Else they'll deny me boarding until someone takes the responsibility for me. (Worst case scenario according to agent)

[Think it is their regulations]

That's the answer that I have received from the agent who had called JFK Station Manager. UM Waiver signed in Singapore Office is of no use.

That's why they needed to find a new booking for me urgently - who will accept a minor and no transfer in terminals.

I'm 16YO and SQ just changed their policy for UM to <18.

Heard that they escalated my case to some other higher department. I'm not expecting cash compensation but meanwhile, my 'compensation' is being able to take EWR-SIN on A345 metal.

I'll fly from YYZ-EWR-SIN-MEL (No terminal change). However, they still need to check with EWR if i can transit by myself in the same airport. (Transit time is only 3hrs.)

The thing is SQ made a mistake by issuing this eticket knowing that I can't transit by myself as a minor in the states airport. They need to rectify this issue by reissuing a brand new ticket that's to the customer's liking and connivence.
        Last edited by cocaman; 24 June 2011, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I think if it is transiting without the need to report to check in to get a new boarding pass should be allowed.

Good luck.

Comment

No offence to the OP, but I get the impression that you are just being picky and choosy and that you are clamoring for something bigger.

You can just take the Air Canada flight to Tokyo. Transit there. After all the service offers flat beds too.

And the talk about radiation is rubbish if you are on transit at the airport. Many SQ and airline crews stay in Tokyo too. Won't they be exposed to the same?

Another alternative, route via Europe.

Comment

Well , with all due respect :

1. I had taken AC1/AC2 before (in fact many times!) and I dislike their services. (Compare SQ w AC , which will you choose? It's up to individual pref and I choose SQ.)

Apart from that, they can't offer me X July and requires me to change to a later date which will result in: Additional payment for accommodation in Toronto & MEL / Changes for transportation in YYZ & MEL. All these cost me $ & time.

2. SQ promise me the flight from YYZ-LGA-JFK-SIN-MEL with YQ paid and miles deducted. This booking was made 2 weeks ago. They've ample time to inform me about this matter however no one told me about such stuff UNTIL I call in to double-check my booking. (Seating/Immigration/Baggage etc).

Thanks to the agent who took the extra effort to call up JFK else it's going to be a hassle in JFK. A minor stuck in a foreign land with limited resources. Yes, they're going to deny boarding until I find a stranger to get me onboard.

3. I called like XX hours with Krisflyer (see my previous thread) and it took me like 4-6 re-issuance of etix to get this flight : YYZ-LGA-JFK-SIN-MEL. I cancelled my 'fav' NH flight from ORD-NRT etc.

4. It will costs me about $800 odd plus for YYZ-NRT-SIN-MEL while the latter flight only cost me about $600+ YQ. Moreover, I am getting a deal. 76.5K for JFK-MEL while I pay only 70K for YYZ-MEL (with the same metal / *Booking.)

5. Radiation - as you said maybe bullsh*t however better be safe than sorry. Apart from that // I was previously offered NRT-HND (change in terminal) // that's outside the airport.

No offense for writing that much // I do accept your opinion here, as fussy/choosy/picky as I might be - I believe everyone here wants GOOD SERVICE / GOOD QUALITY / GOOD FOOD whenever they're onboard. If not, why choose First/Biz class?
              An economy class will do , right?

We pay a good number of miles for redemptions and if SQ were to offer me OZ/NH - I would not mind. Definitely not AC. It's just like how some folks would avoid UA like a plague. (UA offers flat bed too//but not from YYZ) Same logic.

Lastly, why not UA ? If one is not picky/choosy/fussy after-all..

I'm not asking for the sky. I'm not demanding that I get first class because of a mistake. I'm just trying to request for a similar itinerary where I'll get to board SQ metal , as per normal. (Except that it's a different aircraft.)

If they can't get me for the SQ21 due to being 'minor' - then where else and what else should i ask for..?

Perhaps stopover in Singapore for a couple of days as compared to transit? Perhaps first class if it's really 'no choice'? Perhaps other routing that still have the SQ metal ?

Peace ~~~~~
              Last edited by cocaman; 24 June 2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

WHAT SORT OF LOGIC IS THIS?

A passenger holding a confirmed ticketed booking yet have got to wait till SQ contact their counterpart in EWR/JFK to see if they can waive off the UM Regulations and if they can't - SQ cannot guarantee any other seats in any other places at the moment.

Worst still, they can 'compensate' me the SQ21 but requires me to topup miles and YQ - at the present moment.

Simply said , a passenger with a ticket that can't board his flight is as good as having no ticket. WTF is this..?

If I did not call them to double-check and get denied boarding at the airport on that day - who the hell is going to be responsible ?

I'm not asking for the sky or wanting to have MORE stuff from them.

Just give me back this ORIGINAL booking. Period. If you can't, DO something about it BUT they're unable to do anything AT THE MOMENT - where it's only a HANDFUL OF DAYS AWAY from my departure.

I really f@#@ hope that someone can give me a direct contact to someone where I can liaise with. I'm not going to wait till the day where it's a couple of days away from departure and informing me that they got to change date/pay more $ in order to board a new flight. fml.

P.S Pardon me for all the profanities these here. I actually got real pissed at the CSO just now. I know I may not be some big shot passenger, but a simple booking with SQ that can potentially lead a minor being stuck in a foreign land is a big issue to me. I can imagine being denied boarding at JFK and having to find a stranger to be my 'guardian' else I gonna sleep/eat/shit at JFK till the day where I can get home ...

Which stranger will do that? What if that child is an illegal immigrant? Drugs in his baggage?

I just do not know what to do ... I got a ticket but I CAN'T BOARD and SQ cannot give me any other booking. Forget about the NRT - it's gone...
                Last edited by cocaman; 24 June 2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                  No offence to the OP, but I get the impression that you are just being picky and choosy and that you are clamoring for something bigger.
                  ditto.

radiation? if the OP is so afraid of radiation, staying on ground or finding the shortest possible route is a wise option rather that going the long way round in a metal cylinder collecting cosmic radiation.

Comment

i'm pretty sure that if the op simply kept quiet and not "pester" the airline, he/she would probably get away with it as the ground staff/cabin crew would have solved it.

When you call the centre, of course the staff will look into the rules and enforce them.

Whose miles are you using anyway.

Anyone wants to wager how much notes there are on the pnr?

Comment

That is only if you assume that I can get away with it.

UM cannot really transit in USA - that's the regulations for each airport/airline. What makes you think that the ground staff will not look into the rules and enforce them when TSA , themselves , are enforcing security checks that strictly?

Read this from Qantas:

Due to interline policy changes in the USA by many USA and other airlines, we are not able to accept bookings for unaccompanied minors when the itinerary includes a connection to or from another airline in the USA, including codeshare and oneworld partners. These airlines will not accept unaccompanied minors from Qantas or transfer unaccompanied minors to Qantas flights.

I'm using my own hard-earn miles.

Calling call centre doesn't necessary mean a bad thing. They helped me to look into it and resolved it. Imagine if I continue the itinerary and find myself into a 'deeper' shit in JFK?

Apart from that, I'm pretty sure if something were to happen in JFK - one can blame the call centre for not informing the passenger and start to yadadada about SQ for giving so much more trouble in JFK. At least, the 'trouble' isn't that urgent as of now.

It's not about pestering - perhaps getting a seat confirmation and BTC is pestering to you - BUT i'm pretty sure it's NOT to MANY folks here. Look at how many people called KF for problems in SQ Web and having to confirm seatings etc.. Moreover, I'm asking to check for my booking if I require to bring my parent's CC to the airport.

Perhaps the other folk here who complained to SQ for equipment change is indeed PESTERING SQ right? To me, he is not. Well , maybe to you - it is.

That's the problem with many Singaporeans - although I may not know your nationality - keeping things quiet and not making it known and not resolving it proactively. Until the problem comes, then one starts to make many noise.

Before you go into me making noise here - I'm not. I'm simply asking for opinions on my current situation. If you can't contribute anything positively , then may I suggest that you just ignore ya?

Peace ~

Comment

Since you have a ticketed itinerary, SQ has the obligation to bring you from YYZ to MEL. I don't think it is right for them to ask for more miles for SQ21 because it is not your fault that they overlooked your UM status and you were not highlighted. Can you find any information about UM on SQ's website or terms and conditions similar to the one you find for QF? If there is none, then your case is even stronger in your favor.

Anyway, as it draws closer to the date, keep your options open just in case they don't want to change their stance on SQ21. Be flexible with your date, routing and choice of partner airlines. At this moment, it is tug-o-war. See who is going to last longer and give up the position first. We have stood up to them for 4 hours on the phone before finally, KF and SFO ground staff (We made them speak to each othe on my phone) relented to put us on SQ15 77W instead of SQ11 747 after the UA flight to connect to SQ11 got cancelled and we missed the day's flight.
                        That was on F saver award.

I can't suggest who to call. I guess it is to the same hotline but if you encounter difficulties, ask to speak to the supervisor.

Of course, there is better chance to bend these rules in ground situation when you are already caught unaware on the day of travel. Because they wouldn't want to risk bad publicity. But it's too late now. And think in a positive light, may be it will get resolved soon and you get to travel with peace of mind.

Good luck.

Comment

Sixteen years young and such accomplish knowledge in award flying. A level of maturity some mile high J flying members have yet to reach. Respect!

Good luck with your award ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by cocaman View Post
                            Before you go into me making noise here - I'm not. I'm simply asking for opinions on my current situation.
                            The only post in this thread that you're not making any "noise" is in the opening, your subsequent posts are very much riddled with "noise".

Comment

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...82&postcount=5

as requested by the op.

Comment

Working...
                              X