November 19, 2010: Flying first time on the 777-300ER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 19, 2010: Flying first time on the 777-300ER

Flying with my mom from San Francisco to Trivandrum via Singapore. My route is SQ001 SFO-HKG-SIN and second is MI498 (SQ5397) from SIN-TRV. Return date is on the 28th from Trivandrum to San Francisco via Singapore. Flying MI497 from TRV-SIN and SQ016 from SIN-ICN-SFO.

I have a few things to say here:

I've flown on Singapore Airlines tons of times. I've been on the 747 all the time (last time I flew via ICN was in the 90s back then it was a 744 I was on), and in particular I've always flown via HKG on a 744. I've also flown on a Boeing 777-300 (Non-ER) twice from SIN-MAA. Liked the 744 seat better than the 773 since the 744 seats made me go to sleep when I needed rest. Now that I really still miss the 744 and it's awesome color seating (blue, light purple, dark grape juicy purple), I've seen the new colors are orange, light gold, and dark gold. If any of you have flown the 777-300ER, can you tell me some details of it? I'd really like some input before I head out.

EDIT: It's also my first time flying a Boeing 777-300ER in general. So how would you describe the quality such as comfort, engine noise, etc, etc, etc on long flights?

Personally, for me , i've found the seats to be quite hard :S
    The colours of the seats are really soothing and they go well with the carpets used .
    I've found the legroom to be adequate too .
    The engine noise is comparable to other 777s albeit maybe just a bit higher ?

Comment

Cool. There's a reason I like the 744 better on long flights.......easier and more space to walk in the cabin. In my opinion 777s are better on short flights. I wish SQ (with silkair) started service from SIN-TRV just like how MI is flying to MAA and such.

Comment

ohh learn something new everyday. Never even heard of the place Trivandrum till I read this place.

I actually like the 777-300ER. Noise don't bother me much. Loved the roar of the engines as it goes full power for take off.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
          . Loved the roar of the engines as it goes full power for take off.

Love the engine startup too !

Originally posted by SQfanatic
          There's a reason I like the 744 better on long flights.......easier and more space to walk in the cabin.
          I thought the 773 was longer than the 744 ?

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post

I thought the 773 was longer than the 744 ?
            Yes it is, but I kinda get the feeling the total cabin length for seats is longer on a 744 (no cockpit)

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Yes it is, but I kinda get the feeling the total cabin length for seats is longer on a 744 (no cockpit)
              How about the A346 !
              I've always felt walking down the 773 was alot longer than the 747

Comment

I like your feedback guys. Well I used to confuse A346 for B773s, until I read about them. Of course, I'm really looking forward to the Boeing 777-300ER, it will be a first timer flying a B777-300ER on such a long flight when I normally fly Boeing 747-400s.

Well anyone else who's been on a B777-300ER tell me how comfy the seats are and such? I'd like to hear so I can (hopefully) have the same opinion as you.

I have a friend who flew the Boeing 777-300ER but he felt the seats were pretty uncomfortable, as well as the aisles and such which were narrower than the B744 he went on in the past. Of course, I have seen pics of the seats, and yeah they are very hard looking but will try to adjust to them.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                  I like your feedback guys. Well I used to confuse A346 for B773s, until I read about them. Of course, I'm really looking forward to the Boeing 777-300ER, it will be a first timer flying a B777-300ER on such a long flight when I normally fly Boeing 747-400s.

Well anyone else who's been on a B777-300ER tell me how comfy the seats are and such? I'd like to hear so I can (hopefully) have the same opinion as you.

I have a friend who flew the Boeing 777-300ER but he felt the seats were pretty uncomfortable, as well as the aisles and such which were narrower than the B744 he went on in the past. Of course, I have seen pics of the seats, and yeah they are very hard looking but will try to adjust to them.
                  IMO, the seats are fine on SQ's 777-300ER (wait till you try CX - heard they are worse). GE engines are bit noisy when they spool up.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    It's also my first time flying a Boeing 777-300ER in general. So how would you describe the quality such as comfort, engine noise, etc, etc, etc on long flights?
                    The only time I've flown on the Boeing 777-300ER (B77W) was with EK. So, I'll only comment on the engine noise portion. Relatively, it is quieter than the Boeing 747-400 (I've flown in MH's "An experience redefined" B744, which is powered by the Pratt and Whitney 4056 engines--just like the ones in SQ's 9V-SP* birds). I think you will enjoy flying in the B77W.

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
                    Loved the roar of the engines as it goes full power for take off.

Love the engine startup too !
                    Completely agree on this one! Music to my ears!
                    For best sound quality, get a window seat that is horizontally ahead of the engine forward cowling!

How about the A346 !
                    That's one looong plane. Once I flew LH in Y aboard their A346 and I was seated in the aft Y section. Seems like forever to get there
                    Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                      IMO, the seats are fine on SQ's 777-300ER (wait till you try CX - heard they are worse). GE engines are bit noisy when they spool up.
                      Aha!! I've tried CX's new seats on the 747-400 (74A) in Summer 2009. It was pretty good although I hated the reclining portion. They're not really horrific, but are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post

Completely agree on this one! Music to my ears!
                        For best sound quality, get a window seat that is horizontally ahead of the engine forward cowling!
                        Point Duly Noted ! Gonna be onboard one next month !

Originally posted by Aulia Harun
                        That's one looong plane. Once I flew LH in Y aboard their A346 and I was seated in the aft Y section. Seems like forever to get there
                        Great workout eh ?

Comment

I haven't flown on SQ's 77W, but enjoyed flights on SQ's 744s. According to seatguru, the 3-4-3 747 config has 32" pitch and 17.5" wide seats, while on the 3-3-3 777 config it's same pitch but 19" wide seats. Not sure about the cushion material on the new SQ seats, but the USB, integrated light, power, etc. are more modern additions. The 77W also climbs more quickly than the 747 and reaches cruising altitude faster.

Comment

Point Duly Noted ! Gonna be onboard one next month !

Great workout eh ?
                            Wow, jealous of you.. last time I stepped aboard the B77W was more than two years ago! You're flying in F I suppose based on your avatar?

Workout? For the cabin crew, it definitely is!

Originally posted by Stratoliner777 View Post
                            I haven't flown on SQ's 77W, ... The 77W also climbs more quickly than the 747 and reaches cruising altitude faster.
                            I haven't been on SQ's 77W either.. have been dreaming to. The A340 is the complete opposite... it climbs relatively slower based on my experience.
                            Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post
                              Wow, jealous of you.. last time I stepped aboard the B77W was more than two years ago! You're flying in F I suppose based on your avatar?
                              HAH ! I WISH ! I've maxed out my travel allowance for the year
                              Trying to release some allowance from next year's budget to hopefully get myself in J but my parents don't seem to be budging !
                              I tried booking on NH/JL in for the cheaper J fares but they got scrapped as my parents are hardcore " ONLY FLY SQ " people :S
                              Flying on the 77W to HND and transferring to domestic "J" on NH (Some saving grace here)

Comment

Working...
                              X