Champagne Spotting: Dom Perignon 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champagne Spotting: Dom Perignon 2002

I had the pleasure on Sunday at Ritz-Carlton's "78" brunch to enjoy a free flow of Dom Perignon 2002. Came as a surprise as this is the latest vintage just very recently released... It's a fantastic champagne and beats both the 98 and the 00. Should you spot the 2002 vintage on board of SQ, please report it here!

I'll take yr word for it

Comment

Here's an article on it in TODAY's paper:
      http://lifestyle.xin.msn.com/en/food...mentid=4503759

MOST who have tasted this highly anticipated vintage from Dom Perignon would share a similar first impression: Intense. Indeed, the nose is immediately firm and distinctly floral. Thankfully, this initial confidence is not lost on the wine's energetic and somewhat sumptuous palate - although I did find it hard to get a firm grip on its purported profound base notes or complexity. I found it more immediately refreshing than serious. Reticent, perhaps. But that's just me.

There were nonetheless noticeable signs of remarkable potential to mature more gracefully than, say, the 2000.

So you could say that while I preferred the 2000 drunk now, the 2002 does seem to boast greater ageing potential while still managing, at present, to be very enjoyable.

Kudos to Chef de Cave Richard Geoffroy. It may have been a good year for this feted wine region 145km northeast of Paris, but it takes talent to capture such great promise in a wine.

Geoffroy added that the spring that year was warm and dry, with no significant frost. And that made the reported "near-perfect flowering" possible. He also explained that the unexpectedly perfect weather through summer just before the harvest between Sept 12 and 28 compensated for the heavy rains in late August and early September.

New "heights of ripeness" were achieved and that is also a good thing for champagne - it equates to a greater yield of natural sugar.

That being said, supply here in Singapore, or anywhere else, is not inexhaustible. And that's just the nature of a good vintage. As such, fans might want to start shopping and sampling early, especially if they don't just want to trust the reviews. But if it helps, prized pundit Jancis Robinson MW gave it full marks.

The number of bottles allocated the Singapore market hasn't yet been divulged but the word is that the vintage 2002 is expected to be available all through next year. I say, why chance it? Time and good champagne wait for no man.

The Dom Perignon Vintage 2002 ($240) is available at leading wine retailers.

Comment

They had the 2002 on TG from LHR-BKK in November.

Enjoyed a couple of glasses ..... would have had more, but in usual TG style they ran out about an hour after take off

Comment

Eva Airways served Dom Perignon 2002 in J (spotted on CDG route) in December 2011.

Comment

Working...
          X