A380/77W: route and equipment rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solitaire View Post
    ...SIN-FRA-JFK-TPE-SIN(vv) also by Oct 2011 using 77W initially and later upgrading to the whalejet.
    Still wondering where those 77Ws will come from? There are no 77Ws on firm order now.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
      There are no 77Ws on firm order now.
      With Boeing set to announce the replacement for the 777-300ER sometime this year, it seems unlikely that SQ would exercise any 777-300ER options now. SQ have a history of more often buying new types when they are first introduced rather than buying old types during the "close-out" sales as production is nearing an end.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
        Still wondering where those 77Ws will come from?
        My guess: PEK, MEL, BOM but these are not enough. Perhaps LHR will go all A380 and free up the 77W.

Comment

Originally posted by solitaire View Post
          Update on this rumour (and I quote the source):

SIN-FRA-JFK-TPE-SIN(vv) also by Oct 2011 using 77W initially and later upgrading to the whalejet.
          The few times I took SQ26 on the SIN-FRA segment, the 744 always had a full load. Has this always been the case? If so, a 77W is unlikely to be able to cope with the passenger loads having downgraded from 744 (12/50/313) to 77W (8/42/228).

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            My guess: PEK, MEL, BOM but these are not enough. Perhaps LHR will go all A380 and free up the 77W.
            SFO has twice daily 77W.

Could SQ do a CDG or ZRH? One A380 for two 77W flights

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              SFO has twice daily 77W.

Not likely as SQ will need to send another frame up to ICN/HKG daily to replace the mssing flights anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                Not likely as SQ will need to send another frame up to ICN/HKG daily to replace the mssing flights anyway.
                Or new route SIN-HKG-ICN-SFO?

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                  With Boeing set to announce the replacement for the 777-300ER sometime this year, it seems unlikely that SQ would exercise any 777-300ER options now. SQ have a history of more often buying new types when they are first introduced rather than buying old types during the "close-out" sales as production is nearing an end.
                  I also notice the SQ site says they have no options on the 77W

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    SFO has twice daily 77W.

I don't think so. I believe SQ has good 5th freedom yields from HKG and ICN that they'll want to keep it there.

I note that OZ launched it new C on their ICN-SFO route. Presumably to ensure they stay in competition with SQ and also KE..

Comment

My first post, make it a meaningful one.

Over a gathering during CNY reunion dinner, my uncle who flies for SQ has indicated the SIN-TPE-JFK-FRA will materialise. Equipment wise most prob will be a 77W. That would likely mean SIN-FRA will go A380. All these should happen by mid year.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Thanks goodielecks and welcome!

I don't see how replacing the JumboJets now flying to FRA will free up any 777-300ERs for the new routing -- unless the plan is to move the Jumbos from SQ25/26 to SQ325/326. I don't see that as being very likely. I think SQ might be more likely to deploy more JumboJets to MEL and SYD to free up 777-300ERs.

Comment

I don't see how replacing the JumboJets now flying to FRA will free up any 777-300ERs for the new routing -- unless the plan is to move the Jumbos from SQ25/26 to SQ325/326. I don't see that as being very likely. I think SQ might be more likely to deploy more JumboJets to MEL and SYD to free up 777-300ERs.
                          Except that there aren't any 77Ws operating to either SYD or MEL after April
                          1st: in fact, there's only the one turn left now.

Comment

I can't wait for TPE-JFK!
                            Will definately fly with SQ if they open this route

CI hard product on this route is simply unacceptable.
                            BR is a bit better, but still not on the same level as SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                              I also notice the SQ site says they have no options on the 77W

The options lapsed in the last fiscal year.

Comment

Why not simply upgrade the SQ325/6 to the A380? That would free up the 77W and provide more capacity on the route during a time when the market is picking up.

Comment

Working...
                                X