Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ Emergency and WTF with the Delhi Airport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
    I'm not in any way condoning the Indian government's decision, but do you not suppose that if there were a high profile event (e.g. Presidential inauguration or UN General Assembly), the US authorities would similarly keep a bomb-threat aircraft well out of Washington or New York airspace?
    Then again, if the aircraft was blown up when they were flying to another airport, who's to blame now? (other than the terrorists)

Comment

My first question which needs to be answered is that why did the plane land at CCU, why not other airports near Delhi even IF they were refused, they shouldn't have been refused at airports like Amritsar or even Bombay which is closer than Kolkata, so there is a certain amount of information inaccuracy, and maybe I don't quite know how it works, they contacted Delhi ATC something like nationwide sort of thing, and they directed them to land in Kolkata, but then again I don't know how the ATC works in Delhi and it's just an assumption

Now why am I indifferent to the situation that the article says Delhi refused landing which I first of all question, as indicated previously is that if there was a bomb on board, then it could be set up to blow up going below a certain altitude at a certain time whilst over Delhi, so if the bomb were to blow up mid-air, 250 passengers would have already been lost, but there was a potential to have lost a lot more passengers then before, say the plane blew up over the games village, thats a lot of people to loose.

Comment

Shouldnt the Capt. have requested immediate landing at Amritsar where the aircraft was over, why did he want to go to DEL in this situation? not suggesting conpiracy but quite odd.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
          I'm not in any way condoning the Indian government's decision,
          Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
          Then again, if the aircraft was blown up when they were flying to another airport, who's to blame now? (other than the terrorists)
          Think I was pretty clear...

Comment

Quoting an Indian poster Nimish from a.net.

"Personally - I'm fine with DEL honoring their published NOTAM - because SQ had good alternatives. LHE/ ATQ etc. were minutes from where the SQ bird was at that time, yet SQ chose to risk the lives of it's passengers by insisting on flying to an "online" station. If it was indeed a bomb threat, I would expect SQ to choose to land immediately - say in 10 minutes or so (not sure if that's technically feasible), and land at ATQ or LHE or any of the nearby airports. Insisting on Delhi was a reckless move from SQ IMO. When there's an emergency, there's no use looking for "conveniences" like online stations!!!

I wonder if SQ will be sued for endangering the lives of it's passengers?"

SQ to blame without a doubt, and I'm from Pakistan incase people are thinking Indian supporting India.

Comment

Maybe Calcutta airport was chosen because of its "Cooling Pits".

http://www.telegraphindia.com/110100...y_13033249.jsp

Earlier this week, four containers on a Moscow-Singapore flight of Singapore Airlines, which was grounded at Calcutta following a bomb alert call, were kept in the pit for 24 hours.
              F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                A lot of armchair experts around here.....
                Yar i agree..especially those who sit on armchairs that are in the 'cockpit'..

Comment

Originally posted by singha-puri View Post
                  Shouldnt the Capt. have requested immediate landing at Amritsar where the aircraft was over, why did he want to go to DEL in this situation? not suggesting conpiracy but quite odd.
                  Its a 777W..means a long 300er..can land in Amritsar meh??? How to takeoff too...hehe

Comment

Well the runway is 11,000 feet, I'm sure it can't be impossible to land in an emergency

Comment

Working...
                    X