Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ misplaced my luggage for 3-4 days. What's my recourse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ misplaced my luggage for 3-4 days. What's my recourse?

3 days ago I took SQ856 from SIN-HKG followed by AC from HKG-YVR. At Changi I specifically informed the check-in agent that I'm going to YVR and to check my luggage all the way to YVR. I even showed her my AC ticket just to make sure there would be no problems. She gave me my boarding pass for SIN-HKG and HKG-YVR, so I figured everything was in order.

When I landed in YVR, the luggage didn't show. At that moment I realized the check-in agent must have screwed up so I checked the luggage tag and it was tagged HKG. Immediately I filled in a delayed baggage form with Air Canada and they told me it would be on the next flight and delivered to me within 24 hours.

When my luggage still didn't turn up after 24 hours, I called Air Canada and they said the luggage is STILL in Hong Kong because SQ didn't release the luggage despite AC's request. They said they'd send another request to SQ. ANOTHER 24 hours later, I called AC and they said SQ STILL hadn't released my luggage. At this point I was furious because I'd been in Vancouver for 48 hours with nothing except the clothes on my back. I had to go out and buy a bunch of clothes and toiletries just to tide me over for these few days. My laptop was also in the luggage as well and I haven't been able to do any work because of this.

I realized SQ probably wouldn't release the luggage without me calling in, so I called their HKG airport office and asked them to release the luggage to AC immediately. By the time the luggage arrives in YVR, I'd have gone 72-96 hours (3-4 days) without my possessions. If you are in my situation, what would you do and who would you contact in SQ to seek compensation for the clothes purchased, as well as the huge inconvenience caused?

This happened to me once too. Not with SQ but on Sri Lankan Airlines from SIN-KUL. I tried to take my bag as hand luggage and unfortunately they would not let me past immigration as the bag was just over limit for hand luggage. So i had to go back to check it in. I made a bit of a fuss at the check in desk and to cut a long story short, i got of the plane in KUL and my bag ended up in colombo!

I did receive compensation of about RM 80 (about USD 22 at the time) and i had the bag back in 24 hours. I did read that some airlines will reimburse you for the cost of clothes but do reserve the right to ask for the clothes back as the compensation they have given essentially paid for them.

So, i would expect you would receive compensation but would not expect too much.

Im sure others here have experienced similar on SQ.

Comment

May I ask, what are the forms of compensation you can ask SQ for misplacing luggage?

To those who were unlucky enough to lose your baggage, pls share how SQ compensated you.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
        May I ask, what are the forms of compensation you can ask SQ for misplacing luggage?

To those who were unlucky enough to lose your baggage, pls share how SQ compensated you.
        Mine got "NIL" when SQ left one of my 2 luggage in SIN when I arrived at SYD... (SUB-SIN-SYD with more than 10 hours connecting time)
        Maybe it because not all my luggage were left behind. Even-though the bag that left behind was the bag with all my clothes, and the one that came with me just a bag of gift for my relatives...

The bag came to me on next day in the middle of southern hemisphere winter.

And more salt to put on the wound, I was in J....

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post

The Montreal Convention gives you about 2.000 SGD if the luggage has not arrived within 4 hours and that's for everything you urgently need. That's usual clothes. Some airlines 'buy back' the clothes to avoid that customers "up-sell". Claims are handled slowly and airlines usually play very difficult.

Comment

This happened to my dad a very long time ago, when they had a EWR-AMS-SIN flight operated by the 744, and KUL-IPH secors still existed. His luggage never made it to the SIN-KUL flight, which meant it was not available to make it to the KUL-IPH flight. While SQ did compensate for the clothes he bought (and they didn't ask for the clothes back), they did state that since IPH was his home base at the time, they're not inclined to re-imburse anything because technically, if someone is at their home base, then there is no lack of convenience.

If YVR is your home base, they may give you the same answer.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              The Montreal Convention gives you about 2.000 SGD if the luggage has not arrived within 4 hours and that's for everything you urgently need. That's usual clothes. Some airlines 'buy back' the clothes to avoid that customers "up-sell". Claims are handled slowly and airlines usually play very difficult.
              Uh, no it doesn't !

S$2000 after 4 hours ?????

After 4 days maybe....

Did you buy travel insurance?

But didn't you check your baggage tag at the time... ? ALWAYS do that...

But funny how the agent can give you AC's boarding pass but not able to tag the bag all the way through!

Comment

@SMK77: Do you know if there's a form I can fill in which invokes the Montreal Convention? I've actually never heard of this before!

@GuyBetsy: I assume you intended to quote me. I did buy travel insurance but that's not the point here. SQ made a big screwup here and they need to do something about it. To make it worse, I was in J! And yes I find it implausible that the ground agent can give me a boarding pass to YVR and yet tag my luggage to HKG. That's why I didn't check my baggage tag at the time.

It's been over 72 hours now (3 full days) without my luggage. It's arrived in Vancouver but I can't have it because it hasn't cleared customs. I guess I should receive it in the next 12 hours but it'll mean I would've gone nearly 90 hours without it. Even worse, it had EVERYTHING I brought in it, since I only had one luggage and carried nothing on board except an iPad and headphones.

When I'm back in SIN, I'm going into SQ's office at the airport and bring it up with them in person, since I'd expect a runaround if I were to email them. This problem was originally caused by the ground agent in SIN so it's actually a problem that SQ's airport office should be able to address.

Comment

To add to the story, SQ for some unexplained reason refused to release the luggage to AC even though I filled out the baggage delayed form with AC. So my luggage was stuck in HKG for 48 hours for absolutely no plausible reason. It wasn't until I called SQ's HKG airport baggage office to demand the immediate release of my bag that it was actually handed over to AC. So that's 2 blunders for SQ there!

Comment

Originally posted by mister__big View Post
                    .....And yes I find it implausible that the ground agent can give me a boarding pass to YVR and yet tag my luggage to HKG. That's why I didn't check my baggage tag at the time......
                    Sorry to learn about your misfortune.

Baggage and boarding pass are on two different systems. You can have your baggage checked to YVR, but only issued boarding pass for HKG; or you can have your boarding pass to YVR, but short-check your baggage to HKG (you maybe meeting someone at HKG who will pick up your baggage).

Originally posted by mister__big View Post
                    To add to the story, SQ for some unexplained reason refused to release the luggage to AC even though I filled out the baggage delayed form with AC. So my luggage was stuck in HKG for 48 hours for absolutely no plausible reason. It wasn't until I called SQ's HKG airport baggage office to demand the immediate release of my bag that it was actually handed over to AC. So that's 2 blunders for SQ there!
                    The baggage was not tagged on AC flight. SQ HKG station doesn't know and cannot release your baggage to any airlines which requests it. Some airlines, not sure about AC, also require that you stop by at transfer desk to enter your baggage tag information in their system. They will not accept a transfer baggage without that information.

Also of note, IATA rule is that the final carrier, AC in your case, is responsible for delivery and compensation for delayed/lost baggage. OTOH, your baggage was never tagged on AC which make this a fuzzy area.

Comment

Working...
                    X