The number 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The number 19

I'm wondering, why does SQ order 19 77Ws, 19 A330s and 19 A380s? Coincidence?

20 x 787
    20 x A350

Comment

That may be a trigger point for volume discounts. For example, if you buy 11 eggs, it is more expensive than buying 12 eggs (per egg).

But I'm just speculating.

Comment

Originally posted by bmchris View Post
        That may be a trigger point for volume discounts. For example, if you buy 11 eggs, it is more expensive than buying 12 eggs (per egg).

But I'm just speculating.
        I've been involved in negotiations between Airbus and a major airline. There are no such magic numbers.

The best theory I have is that SQ considers 20ish to be a reasonable minimum for fleet commonality reasons, though their initial order of 10 WhaleJets would have been an exception.

Comment

and only 5 x A345s

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            and only 5 x A345s
            There was never any chance for SQ to profitably employ 19 or 20 A340-500s. In retrospect, SQ should have waited two years and bought the 777-200LR instead. They might be able to profitably employ a fleet of 10 or 12 777-200LRs.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
              There was never any chance for SQ to profitably employ 19 or 20 A340-500s. In retrospect, SQ should have waited two years and bought the 777-200LR instead. They might be able to profitably employ a fleet of 10 or 12 777-200LRs.
              Come to think of it, will they order 772LRs to replace their A345s?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                Come to think of it, will they order 772LRs to replace their A345s?
                No, too late for that to make sense. SQ tried several years ago but found that the resale value of the A340-500s was too low for the transaction to make sense. Generalizing, no one wants to buy quads anymore, for good reasons.

A350-900s will probably replace SQ's A340-500s.

Comment

It is like anything really.You buy in a bulk order or fleet order and get a big discount.It is the same the world over whether it is a Mercedes Bus or a Toyota Corolla or a bag of flour.

Comment

Working...
                  X