Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative IFE

Related to me by a crew friend:

Crew (serving J class): Mr. Jaya, this is the grilled chicken with brocollini. Please enjoy.
    Mr. Jaya: Is the chicken male or female? Because male meat too tough.
    Crew (scratch head): I'm sorry I failed to check before receiving the meal from the caterer. But I will highlight your question to my Crew-In-Charge.
    Mr. Jaya: I take the fish then. And make sure it is female.
    Crew (scratch head harder..): Most definitely.

Laughed till I (almost) cried...
    Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Seriously, the words for chicken in certain foreign languages (German and French, for example) do specify the sex and age of the bird. In English, chicken-the-bird is more likely to be female but chicken-the-food could be male or female, although turkey is typically purchased in a grocery store as a hen or a tom (but people usually choose based on the size of whole bird they want rather than because one tastes better).

Now I'm thinking about Thanksgiving and getting hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
      Seriously, the words for chicken in certain foreign languages (German and French, for example) do specify the sex and age of the bird.
      And in Cantonese, one meaning of the word for "chicken" specifies the sex (female) and profession (the world's oldest) of the "bird".

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        And in Cantonese, one meaning of the word for "chicken" specifies the sex (female) and profession (the world's oldest) of the "bird".
        I've been told--don't know the language--that the Spanish word for turkey has the same meaning. I think it's something like putin, similar to the food term pasta putinesco (spelling?) in Italian.
        Last edited by MSPeconomist; 7 August 2010, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
          I've been told--don't know the language--that the Spanish word for turkey has the same meaning. I think it's something like putin, similar to the food term pasta putinesco (spelling?) in Italian.

Almost... substitute the 'in' for an 'a'.
          ________
          Ktm 450Exc
          Last edited by oblivious; 10 March 2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious View Post
            Almost... substitute the 'in' for an 'a'.
            It isn't the Spanish word for 'turkey' in the countries I'm familiar with. (And the French word also contains an 'a'.)

Now, ahem, let's get back on topic, shall we?
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
            X