Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is SQ ready to fly from Milan to New York?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is SQ ready to fly from Milan to New York?

Hi I'm Mitch from Italy!
    I'd like to ask you if you know more about this news:

here the italian version:
    http://www.regione.lombardia.it/cs/S...Wrapper&numr=3

Lombardia/Singapore. Roberto Formigoni: "Presto il volo Milano-New York"

19 luglio 2010
    (Ln - Milano) La Singapore Airlines è pronta a istituire un volo diretto Milano-New York. La preparazione di questo esito, positivo per la crescita di Malpensa, ha visto l'interessamento diretto del presidente della Regione Lombardia, Roberto Formigoni; ora si attende il necessario via libera delle autorità nazionali.

E proprio oggi, al termine di un colloquio con l'ambasciatore di Singapore, Loo Choon Yong, al trentesimno piano del Palazzo Pirelli, il presidente Formigoni ha nuovamente scritto al ministro delle Infrastrutture, Altero Matteoli, "per sottolineare l'importanza di giungere in tempi brevi alla conclusione dell'iter e quindi all'apertura di questa tratta importante per i cittadini e le imprese non solo della Lombardia, ma di tutto il Nord Italia".
    and here the translation:
    Lombardia/Singapore. Roberto Formigoni: "Soon the flight from Milan to New York"
    Singapore Airlines is ready to launch a non-stop flight from Milan to New York. The preparation of this outcome, positive for the growth of Malpensa, has seen the direct interest of the President of the Lombardy Region, Roberto Formigoni, now awaits the necessary clearance by the national authorities.

And today, after a meeting with Ambassador of Singapore, Loo Choon Yong, from the 30th floor of Pirelli tower, the president Formigoni again wrote to the Minister of Infrastructure, Matteoli, "to emphasize the importance of arriving quickly to the conclusion of the opening and then this is important for citizens and companies not only in Lombardy, but in Northen Italy "
    I really hope this flight will be opened soon!

Me too!

Comment

I imagine LukeGT will be over the moon.

Welcome to SQTalk, Mitch. Very nice first post.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 31 July 2010, 02:35 AM. Reason: whoops
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

thanks

i tried to answer your message but i can't find the botton "reply" XD

btw yes i'm from Milan

Comment

So we will see JFK routed via MXP instead of FRA? I guess FRA will then be upgraded to A380 while we will see SIN-MXP-JFK on the 773ER?
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
            So we will see JFK routed via MXP instead of FRA? I guess FRA will then be upgraded to A380 while we will see SIN-MXP-JFK on the 773ER?
            I guess that the SIN-MXP-JFK will be operated by a 77W, but don't know anything about FRA

Comment

i think the same

Comment

And if this news materialized, BCN will get its dedicated non-stop service?

Comment

Does anyone know when will this happen?
                  Nice Nice!!

Comment

I don't think so. It seems more likely to me that SQ25/26 SIN-FRA would be upgauged to WhaleJet service and SQ25/26 FRA-JFK would be downgauged to 777-300ER service. The latter aircraft would be on a SIN-MXP-JFK-FRA-JFK-MXP-SIN rotation. SQ would then have two 777-300ERs sitting around JFK all day instead of one JumboJet.

It's a bit of a stretch, but one aircraft could continue on to ORD, though of course it would not be able to carry ORD-JFK passengers because of the protectionist cabotage rules. It could carry passengers between ORD and FRA/MXP/SIN.

Originally posted by SliverKris View Post
                    SIN-FCO-BCN seems more likely to me.

Comment

IMHO SIN-FCO-BCN is not a very profitable route... a very little number of biz passengers and cargo very very poor... Maybe BCN will be shut down and pax will be carried by Lufthansa Italia, via MXP.

Comment

I think that BCN will be suspended and passenger to/from BCN could use LHI flight MXP-BCN

Comment

With all the due respect I would be very cautious when it's time to evaluate Mr. Formigoni's statement.

I remember a couple of years ago himself stating SQ was going to takeover Alitalia. This was never planned and never happened.
                          (i sogni son desideriiiiiii.... dreams are desires..)

While I would be very happy to hear a MXP-JFK flight operated by SQ, I think we should wait for an official announcement by SQ.

Personally I think the major issue is connected with the load-factor. FWIK, SQ has never had brilliant load on FRA-JFK-FRA sectors, particularly because of the timing (especially FRA-JFK), notwithstanding the huge number of connecting flights from FRA.
                          I can't see how MXP-JFK could make better than FRA-JFK without a serious re-timing of flights in order to make possible connection for passengers incoming from LH Italia flights. Anyway, with the methodical approach SQ adopts regarding departure times in order to grant connecting passengers in SIN, I fear a re-timing it's not so easy.

Maybe I'm wrong but to show interest in a thing doesn't mean tout-court to realize it.
                          I always show interest in new flat, but only seldom I make a real offer to buy them. I hope SQ could open this route but I don't have serious idea about how.
                          There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                          If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                            With all the due respect I would be very cautious when it's time to evaluate Mr. Formigoni's statement.
                            I absolutely agree!

Comment

Originally posted by SliverKris View Post
                              Wasn't there talk some time back that SQ was thinking of flying to Brazil via BCN? Or was it via MXP?

Comment

Working...
                              X