Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A video from 1969

Found this on MW/Youtube:

And yes, I've put this in "all about Singapore Airlines" cause I don't find the link tenuous in the slightest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVSj2X5SBjc

For all the young uns who grew up on a diet of Ultimos, Spacebeds, Diamond, Diamond plus and all that....... there's a brief shot of "really old F" somehwere in this video

What a fabulous find SQfg

I use to hum the MSA jingle

This clip captures my flying career in the 60s.

I started by flying F27s every school holiday to visit my grandparents in Taiping.

IIRC, the F27s flew SIN ( Paya Lebar )-Malacca-KUL ( Subang )-Ipoh-Penang

I flew unaccompanied with my sister.

Not common in those days to have kids flying unaccompanied.

No red tape. Certainly no forms to fill like now.

We looked forward to finger sandwiches & fruit juice on board.

And the crew doted on us. We always left the plane with the air sick bag filled to the brim with sweets!!

The car picked us from Ipoh for the drive to Taiping ( Penang had no bridge then so it was faster via Ipoh )

We started flying 737-100s to Penang when the F27s stopped coming to Singapore.

I remember my disappointment on my first flight on the 737.

I wanted to see the undercarriage come down like on the F27.

And we flew too high in the 737 to see things on the ground clearly..

And through the SIN-PEN flights ( and SIN-X-X-X-LHR ), I've flown every type of aircraft SQ operated except the DC10s.

Wow!!! Talk about flashbacks.

Comment

This is indeed a great find!

Comment

Great find! I have never seen the MSA livery on a plane before...

Comment

Nice video!

At around 1:00, they show the first class menu. I wonder what the following were: Hors d'oeuvre Silver Kris.

I hope it wasn't that Consomme Celestine which gave them the idea to name the A340s "Celestar."

Comment

Absolutely stunning! As one would probably guess, I really like this.

Comment

A gem of a find, SQfg!

The video brings back my boyhood memories. Although I have never flown MSA, the MSA F27s, B707s and B737s were my introduction to the world of aviation.

I visited the old Paya Lebar airport viewing gallery every month, I think from the age of 5 or 6, when my dad made his monthly business trips to Malaysia.

I remember there was also the old MSA Comet aircraft. The comet sticks in my memory because I witnessed a minor accident involving one of them which my dad was on board. As the aircraft began its taxi, the nose wheel collapsed! Fortunately there were no injuries and my dad surprised us by appearing unannounced some time later at the viewing gallery as we watched the unfortunate aircraft resting on its nose being attended to by the ground staff!

The MSA music in the video was also in the MSA ads on TV in the 1960s.

I miss those innocent & carefree days!

Comment

Nice video! I don't understand the Cockney (?) sounding voices right at the end though ?!?

Comment

Top-notch video from a sadly long-gone era of aviation. Would loved to have been there - it's based around 10 or 12 years before I was born. Looks like MSA was already setting the high standards that SQ would build upon.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    IIRC, the F27s flew SIN ( Paya Lebar )-Malacca-KUL ( Subang )-Ipoh-Penang

I flew unaccompanied with my sister.

Not common in those days to have kids flying unaccompanied.

No red tape. Certainly no forms to fill like now.
                    I used to fly Sin - Malacca - KL frequrently too in the 60s. My brothers and I were often unaccompanied. And yes! They really doted on us.

We started flying 737-100s to Penang when the F27s stopped coming to Singapore.

I remember my disappointment on my first flight on the 737.

I wanted to see the undercarriage come down like on the F27.

And we flew too high in the 737 to see things on the ground clearly..
                    Prior to the 737, we had the comet for a while.

And like you, we missed seeing the undercarriage go up and down and the view on the ground! Haha... so I am not alone with these memories.

Wow!!! Talk about flashbacks.
                    Yup. REally brought back memories. Every flight was such and adventure for us kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X