Misinformed on food ingredient at SKL T3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misinformed on food ingredient at SKL T3

I was on SQ326 on 8July from SIN to FRA. I was at the airport early and decided to hang out at the SKL T3.

With the lovely offerings of food, I wanted to try to soba noodles. I asked one of the helpers there if the soba has wheat or is 100% buckwheat as I have an intolerance to processed wheat flour.

"Huh, what whee"? was the response.

"Wheat flour" .. I said.

"Donch know leh ".. and asked her collegue. "Ay, passenger ask if soba got wheet or not". Her collegue didn't know and had to ask the kitchen.

Kitchen came back with a reply. "Can"

I asked.. "Can eat" or "Can, have wheat"...?

They replied.. "Can eat. 100% buckwheat".. Okay.. so I helped myself.

2 hours into the flight, somewhere over the Andaman Sea, I had to rush to washroom in distinct pangs of pain that is what happens when I eat wheat flour. IFS came by several times offering teas, water, and making sure I was ok. There isn't anything I can take to offset the intolerance. I just have to let the food pass .. through after about 2 days. Its just a uncomfortable feeling that's all.

I wrote into Customer relations... and they replied. They agreed that the Lounge manager had no idea about the ingredients in the soba as it came 'prepackaged' and no list. So they asked the supplier. The ingredient list was : Buckwheat, wheat flour and salt.

SQ apologised, but they only offered suggestions of reimbursement for doctor's fees. I wrote back and said that I didn't see doctor as its an intolerance not an allergy and there is nothing that can alleviate it other than just rest and drinking lots of water.

Do you think they might offer anything else in return? I've left them my phone number in Singapore while I'm here this week.
    Last edited by Guy Betsy; 22 July 2010, 04:55 AM.

The thing about SQ is not to give up, but with that said, you have to be set in your mind what you want to get out of them and fight, fight, fight... It might take a couple of months of going back-and-forth with them, but if you can be bothered and have the time to waste, why not?

They will generally offer you X number of miles if you are with KF, if not, they will generally offer you some Kris Shop vouchers (which are pretty crappy IMHO)...
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
      They will generally offer you X number of miles if you are with KF, if not, they will generally offer you some Kris Shop vouchers (which are pretty crappy IMHO)...
      Thanks.. what would you say would be a good number of miles? 2000, 3000, 5000?

Krishop vouchers around US$25? US$50?

Thanks

Comment

For miles, they will generally start off with 5000 and for the vouchers it is about US$50. Personally I would forget about the vouchers as I don't think there is anything of interest in KS.... and also because l am such a miles wh*re!

But I would push for more miles.
        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

But I would push for more miles.
          5000 miles in Krisflyer is useless. But its worth 'more' on another programme. The customer relations woman offered to credit the 5000 miles into any *A programme of my choice. So I asked for BD.

And the 5000 "Customer Relations issue" miles were credited to my BD account on Friday...

Comment

I can understand your concern.... but I wonder how appropriate it is to rely on - let's face it - fairly low level food service people to be able to answer such allergy specific questions?

Whilst your discomfort is regrettable I'm sure we are all glad to hear it is not too serious for you at worst!!!

Comment

deleted
              Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                5000 miles in Krisflyer is useless. But its worth 'more' on another programme. The customer relations woman offered to credit the 5000 miles into any *A programme of my choice. So I asked for BD.

And the 5000 "Customer Relations issue" miles were credited to my BD account on Friday...
                That's interesting as I did not know they could credit "Service Recovery Miles" into another *A FFP... Always thought they did not have the jurisdiction to do so.

Comment

That's interesting as I did not know they could credit "Service Recovery Miles" into another *A FFP... Always thought they did not have the jurisdiction to do so.
                  I didn't know that either.

Good to see it was resolved positively, Guy Betsy, though too bad the situation wasn't avoided in the first place. I actually don't have much confidence in the English comprehension of the roving lounge staff in the SIN SKL, so I can see how this unfortunate situation arose.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    I didn't know that either.

Good to see it was resolved positively, Guy Betsy, though too bad the situation wasn't avoided in the first place. I actually don't have much confidence in the English comprehension of the roving lounge staff in the SIN SKL, so I can see how this unfortunate situation arose.
                    Am guessing most of the SKL chefs would not know themselves, let alone the service staff!

Comment

"Huh, what whee"?
                      At this point i wouldn't have bothered trying to eat it. having an intolerance myself i do find myself in this situation. If they don't know what your talking about i tend to play it safe and go for something else.

Comment

No doubt I will quiz test them about the soba again next time I go to the SKL to see if anything really has been done about this issue!

I spy !

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                          I have seen responses from guy betsy on flyertalk.com expressing that he knows that when he says wheat intolerance for sq catering, the starters offered are still wheat/gluten based. He is also offered whole wheat bread and such.
                          On previous SQ flights, at least in economy, I would order glutenfree cos I wouldnt' want to end up with just noodles on the menu. But when I am offered the glutenfree meal, the cabin crew still put a bun on the tray until I tell them to take it away. Only the very knowledgeable cabin crew know not to put bread on a gluten free meal tray.. and it has never been on SQ flights. CX flights yes.

I've also seen some Business class meals, where they put in a salad dressing which has balsamic... which is in fact gluten based. I'm okay with that but for a friend who is celiac .. who is really really intolerant on all gluten based products, it is literally poison to him.

So perhaps crew , staff and catering should be more aware of allergies and intolerances?

Comment

Working...
                          X