Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminiscing old SQ ads

Singapore Girl anyone?

Whatever happened to the trademark dreamy ads of the Singapore Girl strolling through scenic locations that defined SQ? I remember watching those ads on tv when I was growing up in the 90s.

And these were the ads that got my mind hooked and indoctrinated.. that's why I’m still in love with SQ and would always pay more to fly with them

Those ads really were magical and they still look timeless today.. not considering the poor recording quality of those posted here of course.

Why hasn't SQ been producing ads like these anymore?

The ads I see in the papers and online these days usually display the price of the ticket as the focus and show only a portion of the batik motif of the Singapore Girl uniform. Quite a big shift.

I dont like the new ads, it really doesn't make them pitch them very differently from the other airlines in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

Anyway, here are some old ads I got from youtube.

Year: Unknown (1972?does look like one of the earliest)

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Year: 1984

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Year: 1987

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    I AGREE

Year: Unknown (late 80s?)

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    I AGREE
    Last edited by concept|infinit; 15 July 2010, 10:03 PM.

All the post cards I have been given this year have the Singapore girl in scenic locations and also the ads in the magazines. We have ones with the girls in India, Germany and China , will have to go and check the other ones out. I think the best mag ad for SG is the thank you one. (have it on my wall. )

http://picasaweb.google.com/10624772...645702/Public#
    Last edited by Singapore Sling; 15 July 2010, 02:00 AM.

Comment

deleted
      Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

"You're always there, across the world ..."

That song always streamed into memory when I saw kebayas in CPH during one of my projects.

Too bad the new ad agency is tone-deaf about the 'soft touch'. Then again, it's a reflection of the new more transactional approach towards customers.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
          All the post cards I have been given this year have the Singapore girl in scenic locations and also the ads in the magazines. We have ones with the girls in India, Germany and China , will have to go and check the other ones out. I think the best mag ad for SG is the thank you one. (have it on my wall. )

Oh really? That's odd.. havent seen ads like that here, maybe they pursue slightly different advertising strategies in Sg and internationally.

Would be great if you could post those other posters you have (if you still have them) This thread could become a one-stop thread for all SQ ads

Trekkie: That would be damaging the strong brand they've built up over all these years imo.

jjpb3: classic! It'd probably be alien to a whole new genertion of people below 20 now though I reckon, sadly. They should never have done away with it

The last tv ad I found with the Singapore Girl theme was circa 2006

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
          I AGREE

Some other ads I found (the wonders of youtube!)

A345 "Leadership"

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
          I AGREE

1991 "The Romance of Travel" (44 Mega Tops?!)

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
          I AGREE

Comment

Thanks for posting past ads. Brings back fond memories.

But as jjpb3 mentioned, past ads don't gel with present business model..

Comment

Thanks for posting the old ads. Agreed with jjpb3 and 9V-SIA that the present transactional model does not gel with these old ads. We seen tonnes of innovative ideas in those days ranging from aircraft, service innovation, market appeal etc. that connected with the customers in the past. What has happened to old SQ innovative spirits these days?

Comment

Different style of management from the top, I suppose, with different focus. Remember the dropping of 'Megatop', 'Jubilee', 'Leadership' and 'Raffles Class' quite a few years ago? It was believed that Singapore Airlines was not outstanding enough as a brand itself thus the dropping of those distinctive names.

Personally, quite sad at what SIA has become these days, with less emphasis on the human touch. This has been most evident from in the marketing campaigns of late, focusing instead on their products such as new seats and aircraft.

Comment

Have added another two pictures. As for the other post cards, (well the ones I could find) they are the same places as above but different locations, so one of the China post cards is the same as the magazine ad (China pic in link) and the other has the girls on a boat.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    But as jjpb3 mentioned, past ads don't gel with present business model..
                    I'm no marketing guru but the Singapore Girl image made them what they are, its definitely a Sustained Competitive Advantage. I'm sure the subconscious image of the graceful Singapore Girl is a reason why some would pay for an SQ ticket which generally still costs more than what other airlines offer, even in Y. Why do away with something that worked so well for so long? Oh well, I'm sure the people in their management know what they're doing.

Singapore Sling: Thanks for posting those posters. Would you happen to remember which year they were published?

More videos! Most of these are uploaded by one person.. seems to be from Hong Kong.

Year: 1985

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                    I AGREE

Year: 1988

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                    I AGREE

Year: 1990 (hmm...)

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                    I AGREE

Year: Unknown. A Megatop ad

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                    I AGREE

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                      Singapore Sling: Thanks for posting those posters. Would you happen to remember which year they were published?
                      Yes, 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                        Probably because of switch in advertisers and the new firm is intend on promoting frequency or time.
                        SQ was primarily advertised and promoted by Batey or something like it.. for ions! Then in 2000 or something ... SQ dropped them for someone else saying that they can't keep going on the soft focus Singapore Girl ad anymore and wanted to focus more on a corporate image.

Sad, and well, the rest is history as SQ's image has somewhat gone off course..

The 1972 ad is correct. That was when SQ first split from MSA. I remember the tune .. would you believe that the frequent traveller in me then bought a record for the Singapore Airlines tune?
                        Last edited by Guy Betsy; 18 July 2010, 07:36 AM.

Comment

More globe-trotting by the girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                            SQ was primarily advertised and promoted by Batey or something like it.. for ions! Then in 2000 or something ... SQ dropped them for someone else saying that they can't keep going on the soft focus Singapore Girl ad anymore and wanted to focus more on a corporate image.

Sad, and well, the rest is history as SQ's image has somewhat gone off course..

The 1972 ad is correct. That was when SQ first split from MSA. I remember the tune .. would you believe that the frequent traveller in me then bought a record for the Singapore Airlines tune?
                            You should put this on youtube!

Comment

nice

Been searching for old posters too but had little success. Here's one though, presumably from the mid 70s

Comment

Working...
                              X