Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd routing Q: re luggage

A friend of mine has got a weird flight route that goes like this:

CPH-SIN-SYD with a 14+ hour stop in SIN. He lives in Jakarta, and has bought a SQ SIN-CGK-SIN that fits nicely inside his 14+ hour stop so he can go home and dump his luggage and travel on to SYD with hand luggage only.

I didn't know the answer so I thought I'd ask: Can SQ CPH check in his luggage CPH-SIN-CGK?

Normally, most airlines will insist that the flights have to be within the same calender day. Not 1800hr arrival and 0800 next day departure. But assuming its SQ flights all the way, yes its ok. Some agents may be reluctant initially but its not a big deal, Just ask to check only to SIN. At SIN transfer counter, pass the baggage stubs and the counter people will press the magic code. No need to collect baggage.

so long as its star alliance flights, its ok.

Comment

No first-hand experience, but (assuming competent check-in agents) this would seem doable. After all this is basically just an SQ-to-SQ baggage check, just with different PNRs.

Comment

Yes, I've done it before... and is doable.

But if the connection isn't too tight, why doesn't he just come out of airport and recheck in for the CGK flight?

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
          Normally, most airlines will insist that the flights have to be within the same calender day. Not 1800hr arrival and 0800 next day departure. But assuming its SQ flights all the way, yes its ok. Some agents may be reluctant initially but its not a big deal, Just ask to check only to SIN. At SIN transfer counter, pass the baggage stubs and the counter people will press the magic code. No need to collect baggage.

so long as its star alliance flights, its ok.
          Originally posted by milehighj View Post
          No first-hand experience, but (assuming competent check-in agents) this would seem doable. After all this is basically just an SQ-to-SQ baggage check, just with different PNRs.
          Thanks, I'll let him know.

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
          Yes, I've done it before... and is doable.

But if the connection isn't too tight, why doesn't he just come out of airport and recheck in for the CGK flight?
          I don't think the connection is tight, but for him to do that would mean he would have to tell the CPH staff to check luggage through only to SIN right?

Just to satisfy my curiousity also: Nesting like this is okay right?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            Thanks, I'll let him know.

I don't think the connection is tight, but for him to do that would mean he would have to tell the CPH staff to check luggage through only to SIN right?

Just to satisfy my curiousity also: Nesting like this is okay right?
            Yes. He'd have to tell CPH staff to check luggage to SIN only. But if he can tell CPH staff to check bags to SIN and then to CGK then its all fine then.

Nesting? What nesting? Its 2 tickets. More $$ for SQ. Its fine.

Comment

It's actually quite simple if your check-in agent is quite competent lol... all they need to do is to take the oncarriage off for SIN-SYD when you're checking in in CPH, then they will need to add your SIN-CGK oncarriage..
              However, just make sure that your baggage edit has been entered into your SIN-CGK sectors or you will end up without your luggage in CGK. The agent then can check you in separately for SIN-SYD without any luggage or it can be done in CGK...

Simple and SQ check-in system shouldn't be that hard

Comment

deleted
                Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X