Bali Sin flight observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bali Sin flight observation

Hello, I took SQ943 from Depansar to Singapore recently for the first time on this route, and had these observations.
    The B777-200 does not stream certain displayed TV programmes even though it permits selection in the IFS.
    No menu card, ground staff was polite n check in prompt but did not tag priority baggage for EG passenger nor offer lounge invitation, are these occurences usual on this short haul flight?

Originally posted by Thor View Post
    Hello, I took SQ943 from Depansar to Singapore recently for the first time on this route, and had these observations.
    The B777-200 does not stream certain displayed TV programmes even though it permits selection in the IFS.
    No menu card, ground staff was polite n check in prompt but did not tag priority baggage for EG passenger nor offer lounge invitation, are these occurences usual on this short haul flight?
    You should have reminded them about the priority tag and lounge invite, that is not normal.

There is no menu's handed out on these short haul flights on SQ in Economy at all. There is a menu, but only the crew have it.
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Thanks for enlightenment sqdazz. But what about them not screening certain tv programmes? is it anything to do with the plane model pending reburbishment, and the IFS are not up to date? I taken the B777-2ER & nvr encounter the issue before.

On another note, I took KLM B777-300ER from s'pore to bali and return with this sq flight, I feel that apart from food, everything else I think klm reigning on this 2 leg, including the price

Comment

You would have most likely been on a 772 with a looping entertainment system, one channel will show 3 or 4 programs one after the other. you will need to wait for it to get back around to the program you want to see. Other aircraft have everything on demand so you simply play the tv program you select and can stop or start it as required.

Comment

DPS Route

You have to understand that SQ will gauge its "Customers" for what they can get. Until recently, the only carriers on the SIN/DPS route were SQ and GA. Within that Oligopoly, SQ had a 90% maket share and, accordingly, was charging a minimum Y fare of USD 650 return. This was also known, as with all routes competing only with GA, as "A License to print money". This was also, in part, predicated on the fact that most SQ DPS traffic was through traffic from Europe, so the SIN-DPS traffic was, essentially a free add-on to traffic from Europe. Therefore, SQ attempted to maximise margins on this route by screwing SIN and DPS based passengers on the intra-asian sectors.

Now, as you rightly note, there is competition. KL and QR operate, although their timings DPS-SIN are late night and not so convenient, but the fares, especially premium, are much lower, like less than half SQ fares in C. There are also LCC's now on this route, with fares as low as USD 100 return. SQ has, in response, dropped its Y prices to around USD 350 out of the kindness of its heart. It's only a 2 hour flight, so would you prefer an SQ USD 1,000 (C) or USD 650/350 Rice/Chicken "Free" meal in SQ Y or an LCC No meal but a "Free" 5-Star Hotel and Gourmet Dinner in SIN for a lower overall price.

I guess it depends if a Company is paying?!!
          Last edited by flymeroundthemoon; 16 July 2010, 09:49 PM.
          Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

With the influx of LCCs to DPS (3x daily by Air Asia, 1-2x daily by Valuair/Jetstar) as well as flights by KLM and Qatar, SQ has reduced its prices from SIN to DPS by almost half, although it is still the most expensive. And it is correct that most of the pax to DPS are tag-on pax from Europe and thus DPS flights are generally low-yielding, thus SQ had to cut some corners on the DPS flights to be more cost effective.

Heck, if yields to DPS fall even further, we might even see SQ give the DPS flights to Silkair!
            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Does silkair routes generally have lower yield than SQ? Hmm, the Y load was quite full then.
              It's a shame the europeans coming in on SQ newer birds & have to "downgrade" in their final leg to destination!

Comment

Does silkair routes generally have lower yield than SQ? Hmm, the Y load was quite full then.
                It's a shame the europeans coming in on SQ newer birds & have to "downgrade" in their final leg to destination!
                Its quite usual to fly pn a smaller aircraft or less well equipped on the final leg of long hsul journies... right around the world

Comment

SQ Longterm Strategy

Yes, the normal strategy of the SQ Management team is to replace SQ with MI when yields and/or loads drop. Ultimately, this strategy will culminate in SQ flying only between SIN, LHR, NRT and SYD?

However, in the case of DPS, they can't really do this because they need the capacity to ship transit PAX through from Europe. The flights are still packed.

So I would expect that they will keep their fares far higher than the competition to maximize yield intra-Asia on the few remaining available seats.

Knowing that, you don't have to bend over backwards too far.
                  Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

C-Fair?

BTW, the C fare on this route remains over USD 1K return, for a 2 hour flight. Explanation as above.
                    Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

I just took SIN-DPS-SIN last week in Y and the 13:05 flight was packed outbound on a Sat and maybe 80% full on the return (also a Sat one week later) on the 17:05 flight.

I always use KF miles for these trips as I think this s one of the few redemptions where a Y tix actually offers some reasonable value at 12.75K miles RT when booked online.

SQ timings are just the most convenient which still keeps me loyal to them on this sector as long as I can get Saver awards in Y

Comment

Agree with the great timing SQ offering, I had use miles to redeem the SQ 1pm flight DPS-SIN on actual day, and forgo my confirmed KLM night flight back to singapore. Cant wait to get back home

Comment

Agree with the great timing SQ offering, I had use miles to redeem the SQ 1pm flight DPS-SIN on actual day, and forgo my confirmed KLM night flight back to singapore. Cant wait to get back home
                          So you were burning to get back to SIN ehh? Hmm wonder what was waiting for you there ... must have been amazing to beat out Bali

Bu ton the topic, yes the option to book one-way awards at 50% mileage on SQ made this whole redemption thing better. The only positive change introduced in KF in a loooooong time

Comment

And to Our Singaporean Passengers, a warm wlecome home

However, in general, why would anyone not prefer to be in Bali? I wonder? No disrespect to SIN, of course.
                            Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

Haha, I too cant imagine anyone would want to leave the island of paradise so eagerly like I did but I was too drained from the gunung rinjiani trek expedition. Bali was a transit for me
                              And DPS-Mataram was the shortest flight I ever taken, a cool 23 minutes on garuda J

Comment

Working...
                              X