Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should downtown check-in at Singapore be revived?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should downtown check-in at Singapore be revived?

Should downtown check-in at Singapore be revived?

This question was posed in the Straits Times forum today by a reader.

In the past downtown check in was at Paragon Singapore for SQ.

And there used to be a telephone & fax check in as well, but all these were removed since the online check in was introduced as telephone/fax become traditional, conventional methods that were out of date.

What do you guys think? Should down town check in be brought back?

Here is the article taken off the Straits Times forum today, no mention of airlines, just a general opinion:

One facility that Changi lacks - downtown check-in

CHANGI Airport is doing very well. However, many other airports in this part of the world are constantly upgrading their infrastructure and facilities.

Likewise, Changi has to keep striving to provide even better levels of service and facilities.

One service which we lack is a downtown check-in facility. People who have used this before in cities that have them appreciate the convenience.

We should seriously consider having this facility in at least two places - the business and shopping districts.

Given the economy of scale, it would be good if such a facility is run by the Changi Airport Group instead of being deificated to a particular airline.

Comment

deleted
      Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:30 PM.

Comment

the distance from town to Changi is not far and takes between 25 to 40 mins - unlike HK, Narita and even KLIA where the travelling distance is much greater.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
          the distance from town to Changi is not far and takes between 25 to 40 mins - unlike HK, Narita and even KLIA where the travelling distance is much greater.
          Not really. Check-in your luggage at Central on Hong Kong Island (up to a day before for some airlines), jump on the Airport Express and you're inside the airport in 24 minutes (trains every 12 minutes).

Comment

I can't really see the need to be honest, Changi rarely has long queues at check in and as said its 20 minutes in a cab. For the cost of setting it up and logistics of it all I can't see it being cost effective, mind you SQ then raise their prices yet again...

Comment

While it was always nice to have the option, I don't think it's such a loss if it isn't there, especially as others have said with on-line check-in and the other options these days. And as has also been pointed out, we are talking about Changi here not LHR etc, so it's generally a painless process checking in at the airport anyway.

The thing they needed to change was the ridiculous rule of having to go to the desks to get your BP validated, which negates the benefit of checking in on-line.

Comment

Don't need central check-in....... there isn't a huge number of people around the town that would benefit unless you could drop off a suitcase as 1pm, checked-in, from a hotel before spending the afternoon around town doing some shopping and having dinner before a late flight.

Even then, most people these days would opt for late check-out or leave the bag with the concierge, no problem. It's a quick trip to Changi from the town.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                  Don't need central check-in....... there isn't a huge number of people around the town that would benefit unless you could drop off a suitcase as 1pm, checked-in, from a hotel before spending the afternoon around town doing some shopping and having dinner before a late flight.
                  Exactly what I've done with the HKG in-town check-in! Even if my hotel is conveniently located, it's a waste of time to go back there after dinner, get my luggage and then go to the airport.

Whilst I don't know the costs for the airlines/HKG to maintain the facility, I do appreciate the convenience of having a late dinner/drinks in LKF and walking out of the restaurant knowing that I'll be airside in under an hour. Like a lot of things, I don't need the facility but it's definitely nice to have.

Comment

shd downtown check-in be revived, my WISH [qualifying word] is for a MRT Express (ie. non-stop) from either Orchard or City Hall to SIN,, like HKG, KUL (BKK? not sure here, havent been for a while)

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                      shd downtown check-in be revived, my WISH [qualifying word] is for a MRT Express (ie. non-stop) from either Orchard or City Hall to SIN,, like HKG, KUL (BKK? not sure here, havent been for a while)
                      Plus others, e.g. LHR (about 15 miles from the airport to Paddington on the HEX - the same distance as, I believe, Orchard to Changi)

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        Plus others, e.g. LHR (about 15 miles from the airport to Paddington on the HEX - the same distance as, I believe, Orchard to Changi)
                        oh yes, how can i forget. in fact, i always stay in Paddington Hilton when in London cos of the rail-link from/to LHR, and then Tube

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                          Hong kong does it and its very successful but knowing how the current SIN administration works, they will only implement it if they can charge for it. (not to throw a wet blanket).. of course i wish it can be done esp if they can take baggage.
                          If they took baggage then there'd be a good reason to have this service, otherwise it'd be a waste of resources imho

Comment

Working...
                          X