Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use the personal in-seat telephone before ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use the personal in-seat telephone before ?

Does anyone here use the personal in-seat telephone before to call anywhere in the world ? Is it available on all SQ aircrafts, including the non-AVOD regional aircrafts ? Does it get cut off easily, & I mean, the aircraft noise is sure to have some impact on you trying to hear the other party clearly.

How are the charges like ? I couldn't find it through the website, I supposed the rates are much much more expensive than normal IDD international calls on the ground.

Never made a call but have received a call from somewhere over Australia. Call quality was clear so no problems there. I have no idea how much that call was.

Comment

I made a call once many years ago to try it (not on SQ). It's something in the ball park of £1 for every 10 seconds. It worked fine but I didn't hang around to see whether the call quality changed as we flew along!

Comment

We tried it on SQ 380, just to verify the guy coming knows which flight we are on, because we didnt quite emphasize that fact, and wasnt so sure he knew which flight, cq was good and on the a380, i guess one could hear it perfectly well

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          Never made a call but have received a call from somewhere over Australia. Call quality was clear so no problems there. I have no idea how much that call was.
          Received a call ?? How can that be? How will the person know what number to dial to get to you ?

Comment

Maybe recieved a call from another person onboard the aircraft?

Comment

Tried the phone several years back. Don't think the quality was good, just so so.

Comment

Maybe recieved a call from another person onboard the aircraft?
                Didnt know you could do that. Is it free?

Comment

Have used the onboard phone on three occasions, one of which was a call to my Best Man whilst we were flying to SIN on honeymoon to thank him again for performing his duties so admirably. On all three occasions (all 744, 2 in Y and 1 in J), I found it difficult to hear the other party because of the background noise. Also used Skype with a similar degree of success a few times on my iPaq during the Connexion years. Nice to have the facility to make calls (albeit at great expense),...perhaps it would be easier now to make calls on the quieter a/c, and in premium classes, but no recent experience sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                    Didnt know you could do that. Is it free?
                    You can call seat to seat for free yes (or at least you could when I last tried it), but I believe 9V-JKL means that someone on a plane over Australia called *him* whilst he was on the ground

Comment

I received a call from somebody flying across the pacific. Reception was OK but nowhere as clear as local calls. He could hear me but required me to repeat what I said once or twice - could also be my Singapore accent.

I understand that the atmospheric condition can affect quality significantly. Best to check with the crew before making that expensive call.

Comment

As far as price goes, the cost of using a satellite phone from a ship at sea is in the region of US$5 per minute... At least that was the case in the late 90's.
                        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                          Received a call ?? How can that be? How will the person know what number to dial to get to you ?
                          Sorry for not being clear. I received a call from someone on board a SQ flight.

Comment

You can call other seats, i didn't know this. I could have some fun with this

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                              You can call other seats, i didn't know this. I could have some fun with this
                              From memory, the recipient has to enable seat to seat calling in order to receive your call - you can't simply decide to call Mr. 2A for example just to say hello and ask how his satay is!

Comment

Working...
                              X