Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man injured by falling bag sues SIA

post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:21 AM.

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
    Man injured by falling bag sues SIA
    http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...g-bag-sues-SIA
    I sometimes see bags falling off during take-off or landing. But none dropped on my head. Only once did a stewardess land on my lap after being bumped by her colleague but I don't think I can try to sue for that.

Comment

NOT surprised, when so many times I've seen pax trying to stuff obviously overweight and oversized bags into the overhead compartment in Y, instead of checking-in the bag (as per the PA announcement by the cabin crew).

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
        I sometimes see bags falling off during take-off or landing. But none dropped on my head. Only once did a stewardess land on my lap after being bumped by her colleague but I don't think I can try to sue for that.
        post deleted
        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:21 AM.

Comment

The crew just need to be firmer in enforcing minimum bag weights and sizes during the boarding process - I've been in a situation where a passenger's bag was SO heavy that it required the help of me, a stewardess and the man himself to lift up to the compartment (and even then, with much difficulty). The bag must have weighed about 15 - 20kgs at least and yet, I was surprised he was not asked to gate check it. I almost wanted to pull the crew aside to tell her that it was too heavy and should be checked in, because in the process of us lifting the bag up, it almost slid out of our hands and onto the head of his neighbouring passenger.

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
            That is yet to happen to me - are you a PPS member?
            Naw... I was in Y. She broke my headset, crushed my nuts (those served in little packets... don't think dirty...) and spilled my juice on her dress.

Warmed nuts in J. Crushed nuts in Y.

Comment

...and spilled my juice on her dress.
              Tsk tsk.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian View Post
                Tsk tsk.
                Orange juice... tsk tsk. ... from the glass... SERIOUSLY

Comment

Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
                  The crew just need to be firmer in enforcing minimum bag weights and sizes during the boarding process
                  You mean maximum, right? Personally I don't think enforcement is the crew's job. Checkin agents and gate agents should be the ones doing it. Cabin crew are in the unenviable position of being expected by pax to help out, even if it's the passenger's fault that the bag is too heavy.

(I also think enforcing the official allowance of 7 kg would be silly, as that is ludicrously light.)
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

deleted
                    Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Actually, even a 6 kg bag will hit a passenger with enough force to cause significant injury when dropped from the height of an overhead compartment, so perhaps that is the rationale for such a limit?

Comment

I think 7kg is too low too. 3K has a 10kg allowance for hand luggage which is probably more reasonable.

A 4kg hard case dropping from the overhead compartment can hurt if it hits at the "correct" angle and place.

I rather the FAs check that the compartment is not jammed like a sardine can and then forced shut.

Comment

Actually, even a 6 kg bag will hit a passenger with enough force to cause significant injury when dropped from the height of an overhead compartment, so perhaps that is the rationale for such a limit?
                          I'm sure that weight was worked out by the relevant engineers, using the physics of the most probable situation (and with input from the legal department, using the economics of tort law ). But it's a wholly impractical limit, so it just begs to be honored more in the breach than in the compliance.

I've got no waterproof solution either, BTW. Just the musings of a Grumpy Old Man / critic-at-large. I find that I begin looking for things to edit from my carryon list when the carried weight is in the 12-15 kg range.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thought this was funny. talks about it at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K84kThNY0X4

Comment

Orange juice... tsk tsk. ... from the glass... SERIOUSLY
                              post deleted
                              Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X