What happened to Executive Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Executive Economy

As a 6'2 ... well covered guy, I've always wondered, why doesn't SQ have or bring back their Prem. Economy product to satisfy the flier who cannot splash out 7000SGD on a return ticket in business (and I don't even need ALL that space anyway) but wants a bit more space and comfort, maybe slightly better meals too?

It just seems quite annoying especially when you know they can do it and they've done it before! I remember my exemplary flight from Newark back to Singapore a few years back, it was just incredible and you really felt like it was something special, why can't they bring it back but make it available for the rest of the fleet?

It was special - and quite good value to boot. But therein lies the rub - it was good enough that people who COULD splash out 7000 SGD started not to. catch 22 really - and i guess the model was a little ahead of its' time.

Comment

I don't know coz IMHO now with the new J Product SO far ahead of Y, it seems like the perfect place to slot in a new product that will appeal to the likes of someone like me!

Comment

It is a shame as BA and virgin manage to do it on long haul flights.

Comment

I remembered a few years ago, i was mad crazy about it and booked a turnaround flight from SIN-CGK-SIN while they still had those flights inbetween the normal service runs. When i got to the gate, I got the shock of my life that they changed it from the A345 to the 772!!!!@#$%^&*&^%$#@! What a waste of money!
          I asked the crew while onboard and they said that the flight was overbooked and they had a last minute equipment change!

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
            I remembered a few years ago, i was mad crazy about it and booked a turnaround flight from SIN-CGK-SIN while they still had those flights inbetween the normal service runs. When i got to the gate, I got the shock of my life that they changed it from the A345 to the 772!!!!@#$%^&*&^%$#@! What a waste of money!
            I asked the crew while onboard and they said that the flight was overbooked and they had a last minute equipment change!
            Strangely enough, I actually experienced the reverse on a SIN-CGK some years ago when they changed my 777 into a 345 and being booked in Y at that time, ended up in the premium economy main cabin.

I subsequently did hear about friends who booked flights that were designated as 345 in the SQ timetable only to find out it had been downgauged to the 777. I think this happened during the period that the 345 was transitioning into an all J cabin.
            Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post

I think this happened during the period that the 345 was transitioning into an all J cabin.
              Mmm...lucky you(wish that happened to me! )
              i remembered it was quite some time ago.A few months after they had the A345

Comment

It IS curious... I mean, my "home" airline - NZ - introduced Y+ and then TWICE increased the number of seats...... I understand it has been a huge success for them.... and often sells out...

I am sure SQ would do it just as well if they chose to!

Comment

If I remember correctly, SQ created the class spefically for the super-long haul from SIN to US so when the 2 flights became full J, the product was dropped.

A real pity as other airlines have successfully adopted the product so successfully. SQ lost it's initiative to create something novel. Instead it is now a lagger in this area.

In fact, the gap in pricing (and seat comfort) is much wider between J and Y than J and F that I'd think the need for Exec-Y is much stronger now than before.

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
                    If I remember correctly, SQ created the class spefically for the super-long haul from SIN to US so when the 2 flights became full J, the product was dropped.

A real pity as other airlines have successfully adopted the product so successfully. SQ lost it's initiative to create something novel. Instead it is now a lagger in this area.

In fact, the gap in pricing (and seat comfort) is much wider between J and Y than J and F that I'd think the need for Exec-Y is much stronger now than before.
                    I agree it was a great product. Certainly made my life easier from LAX to SIN. Thank god the seats were comfy as the set of crew I encontered on that flight cannot be forgotten as the worst ones on SQ totally dry and really showing they dont wanna be there. Anyway it Will be available next year on the MH whalejet. That is if they get it next year as Airbus employees are on strike at the moment!
                    Last edited by jadivindra; 30 April 2010, 09:56 AM.

Comment

The reason why executive economy seats were put into the A345s in the first place is because the A345s were overweight.

So SQ had to reduce the number of economy seats on the a/c.

In service, they found there was a demand for more J class seats than the original A345 had ( 60 seats ), which is why they re configured the plane into an all J class cabin ( 100 seats ).

Comment

Until SQ realizes its losing customers because of Y+ they wont do anything, if it means more revenue then they will do that for sure. Right now people are flying SQ because it's SQ even on flights say SIN-LHR, even though QF may offer a Y+ which is way better then SQ Y, just traveling on SQ means something for people, and SQ are at full liberty to take advantage of that

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                          The reason why executive economy seats were put into the A345s in the first place is because the A345s were overweight.

So SQ had to reduce the number of economy seats on the a/c.

In service, they found there was a demand for more J class seats than the original A345 had ( 60 seats ), which is why they re configured the plane into an all J class cabin ( 100 seats ).
                          Its the caseof putting all your eggs in one basket and a little greedy. A2 class layout on A345 was perfect and also gave the airline flexibility if J class bookings not up to the mark in bad times.

as I remember it use to be always full in Y+

Comment

I think Y+ in the A380 would have made a lot of sense. Like QF have done.. Just make sure there are not too many (say 40 seats) and if it is only for long haul, passengers will not necessarily downgrade from C to Y+ ... and I think the yield will be better than for Y...

Comment

Yes, I have to agree that Y+ on SIN-LHR-SIN routes at the S$3k+ range would be very welcomed indeed. Always had trouble sleeping on the 14-hour flight in Y, yet paying S$8k for J is way out of my budget for a good night's rest.

Converting the frontmost section of Y on the lower deck into a 2-4-2 configuration with slightly more legroom for Y+ would be perfect!
                              Last edited by eriond; 1 May 2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X