Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A better deal to buy through your corporate agent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better deal to buy through your corporate agent?

I am planning a trip SIN-FUK soon and have the option of buying the ticket through our corporate agent or by myself and seeking reimbursement later.

The fare in Y quoted by our corporate agent is SGD 1241.

On the other hand the fare direct from singaporeair.com is SGD 1267 (which is $26 more!); but I can charge this to my KF Amex card and get double miles for every $1.60 spent, which works out to 1584 additional miles earned if I paid $26 more and bought the same ticket through SQ website with my Amex.

Do you think this is worthwhile? It works out to 1.6cents for each additional mile.

Originally posted by Datex Ohmeda View Post
    I am planning a trip SIN-FUK soon and have the option of buying the ticket through our corporate agent or by myself and seeking reimbursement later.

The fare in Y quoted by our corporate agent is SGD 1241.

On the other hand the fare direct from singaporeair.com is SGD 1267 (which is $26 more!); but I can charge this to my KF Amex card and get double miles for every $1.60 spent, which works out to 1584 additional miles earned if I paid $26 more and bought the same ticket through SQ website with my Amex.

Do you think this is worthwhile? It works out to 1.6cents for each additional mile.
    as with all things, it all depends. the booking class from your TA might be higher, which may be a good thing. the fare on SQ.com might not be mileage accruable, nor upgradeable, whereas the fare from your TA might. as you travel more, the ability to upgrade Y flights, and earn miles on them, will become increasingly valuable. you should ask what booking class the Y ticket books into.

Comment

You might also want to think what the view of your company would be if you claimed a higher priced ticket to get miles. Are you planning to spend the extra miles on company travel? If not then your company might see this as a serious offense.

Comment

I'm not sure what your company's travel policies are but mine requires us to go through Amex corporate travel where possible.

I'm not sure if you are asking about the moral implications or the cost implications for yourself. If the company is ok about it, i say go ahead. Enjoy the extra miles. Just be careful about the fare class and the admin fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          You might also want to think what the view of your company would be if you claimed a higher priced ticket to get miles. Are you planning to spend the extra miles on company travel? If not then your company might see this as a serious offense.
          if he is booking it through his own corporate travel agent, i don't see at all why this would be a "serious offense." if their corporate travel agent is giving them higher fares than are available though other avenues, that is something the corporation needs to deal with, not the employee.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
            if he is booking it through his own corporate travel agent, i don't see at all why this would be a "serious offense." if their corporate travel agent is giving them higher fares than are available though other avenues
            I could be wrong but I think it's the other way round, i.e. the corporate agent is giving them lower fares than are available through SQ's website but the OP is wondering whether s/he can book pay more through the SQ website to get the CC miles.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              I could be wrong but I think it's the other way round, i.e. the corporate agent is giving them lower fares than are available through SQ's website but the OP is wondering whether s/he can book pay more through the SQ website to get the CC miles.
              my mistake, you are absolutely correct. in that case, i agree with Lobster. my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                the booking class from your TA might be higher, which may be a good thing. the fare on SQ.com might not be mileage accruable, nor upgradeable, whereas the fare from your TA might. as you travel more, the ability to upgrade Y flights, and earn miles on them, will become increasingly valuable. you should ask what booking class the Y ticket books into.
                I checked, both are full-Y tickets, upgradable with my current miles.

It won't matter - I can buy my ticket from any source, but the reimbursement amount is fixed to the lower of the corporate agent's quote or my own agent's quote.

Originally posted by RHG View Post
                I'm not sure what your company's travel policies are but mine requires us to go through Amex corporate travel where possible.

I'm not sure if you are asking about the moral implications or the cost implications for yourself. If the company is ok about it, i say go ahead. Enjoy the extra miles. Just be careful about the fare class and the admin fees.
                My company gives us the freedom of using our corporate agent, or to source for our own tickets, as long as we purchase or are reimbursed the lower quotation.

I suppose the real question I'm asking is: would you buy miles for 1.1 US cents each, considering that I often fly Y and an upgrade to J is often welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Datex Ohmeda View Post
                  I checked, both are full-Y tickets, upgradable with my current miles.

It won't matter - I can buy my ticket from any source, but the reimbursement amount is fixed to the lower of the corporate agent's quote or my own agent's quote.

My company gives us the freedom of using our corporate agent, or to source for our own tickets, as long as we purchase or are reimbursed the lower quotation.

I suppose the real question I'm asking is: would you buy miles for 1.1 US cents each, considering that I often fly Y and an upgrade to J is often welcome.
                  For SGD 26 more and if you think you need the miles for upgrade later on, I think it is a reasonable payment. But will depend on the number miles you accummulate every year.

Not sure if you do know about it, Citi Bank Premier Card does offer a good exchange rate. It is VISA so more acceptable in more retailers island wide for you to accummulate the miles. Alternatively, you also want to consider using other Star Alliance loyalty programs that offers better accrual rates.

Comment

Maybank offers good mileage earn rate if you have a lot of overseas spending. Overseas spending (charged in foreign currencies) @ S$1 = 2 miles, local spending @ S$1 = 0.4 miles. There is no conversion fees like KF AMEX but it will not be automatic as you earn their "treats points" which you have the option to redeem for other stuff.

Citibank PremierMiles earn rate is S$1 = 1.2 miles (for SQ, TG & DL, for CX it's 0.4 miles per S$1) regardingless of overseas or local spending, there is a conversion fee of S$25 per transfer. They give you 10,000 miles if you pay the annual fee of S$180 for renewal.

I think DBS Altitude has quite a good earn rate as well but there is a S$40 annual fee for the conversion.

KF AMEX is running mileage promotion this year. You get 50% more miles if your total spending in 2010 is > $5000 or 100% more miles if > $12000, subject to a cap of 8000 miles. Do the maths, your earn rate is S$1 = 1.25 miles if you spend S$12800 in 2010 (which gives you the max bonus miles). Beyond that amount, you are only getting S$1 = 0.625 miles. But conversion is automatic and free though.

If you are travelling on Y or S booking class, M&M gives you 150% status & award miles instead of the usual 100% status & award miles on KF (125% award miles if you are KF Silver/Gold). But you don't get 15% online discount when you redeem on SQ flights.

Comment

A minor point as well is if you book through an agent you cant choose your seat until 48hrs before hand (normal check in period) even if you ring up KF.

Comment

Actually a very good point. In some USA company. They have changed their policy that if you travel on company business trip (company pay the ticket). Then all the miles has to go back to company coporate account.

Comment

Working...
                        X