X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady (temporarily) names her newborn baby "SQ"

Nationality debate over mid-flight childbirth

By Gilbert P. Felongco, Correspondent

Manila : A Filipina migrant worker from Dubai gave birth aboard a Singapore Airlines flight to Manila and it remains unclear what nationality the child will be taking.

Factory worker Mylene Molina boarded the flight on March 12 despite being eight months pregnant, a television report in Filipino by GMA News said. She felt labour contractions mid-flight and a doctor aboard assisted in the child's birth. The mother and child were offloaded in Singapore.

Molina has named the child "SQ" after the airline's designation code.

After several days at a hospital in Singapore, Molina and her child were allowed to fly to Manila.

Rita Dy, marketing and communication manager of Singapore Airlines in Manila, was quoted as saying that Molina had hidden the fact that she was already 32 to 36 months pregnant when she boarded the flight from Dubai. Like most other airlines, the Singaporean flag carrier has strict rules about allowing on board women in advanced stages of pregnancy.

In the GMA interview, Molina said she never thought that she would give birth that soon. "I thought everything was normal and three weeks before, my friends and I were even walking around and I was even reporting to work," she said. It is yet unclear what naturalised nationality "SQ" will be taking.

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
    Molina had hidden the fact that she was already 32 to 36 months pregnant
    it's a miracle

Comment

Maybe she should name the baby "Jubilee"......

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
        it's a miracle
        Ha ha ha. There are cases in Singapore where teenagers hid their pregnancy for the full duration and giving birth in toilets. I think first time pregnancies and having a fuller body make the pregnancy less obvious. Having said that it is not easy to hide it.

Welcome back Singapore_Air. You have been absent for a while.

Comment

First of all, congratulations to the mother and her child!

Next, it's very likely that one of "SQ's" citizenships will be Filipino (the Philippines now allows dual citizenships, one of which is Filipino). I don't think it's likely the child will get AE citizenship as the aircraft isn't registered there unless AE follows jus soli (which means citizenship is based on where you were born) and the aircraft was still in AE waters. Same question with SG: is it jus soli or jus sanguinis (which mean citizenship is based on who you were born to)?

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
            Ha ha ha. There are cases in Singapore where teenagers hid their pregnancy for the full duration and giving birth in toilets. I think first time pregnancies and having a fuller body make the pregnancy less obvious. Having said that it is not easy to hide it.
            Reread the bit I bolded.

Comment

My question would be if the baby will get free flights on SQ for life.

Comment

^^

Considering how into cost-cutting the carriers are: I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                  Reread the bit I bolded.
                  Ok. An innocent mistake by an old man liked me (who is a non-native speaker) that was thinking a bit ahead of substituting the weeks for months and was thinking how did the airline allowed someone with 32 - 36 weeks onboard the aircraft. Sorry for missing out your line of humour. It is just a typo error months instead of weeks. Anyway, you never been slow in pointing out such mistakes in a dry fashion.
                  Last edited by LionCity; 21 March 2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                    My question would be if the baby will get free flights on SQ for life.
                    On SQ - maybe as a publicity stunt, till the child turns 12.

But a similar case happened on Air Asia where the baby was given free flights for life! Now that's generous!

Comment

Working...
                    X