Silkair to start new services to india

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silkair to start new services to india

SilkAir, the regional wing of Singapore Airlines, will soon add two more cities in India to its route network.

Subject to regulatory approvals, SilkAir will offer daily flights between Singapore and Bangalore, the capital city of the state of Karnataka, from 17 May 2010, and daily flights between Singapore and Chennai, the capital city of the state of Tamil Nadu, from 14 June 2010. The flights will be operated by SilkAir’s Airbus A319 and A320 aircraft.

The introduction of these new services will complement Singapore Airlines’ existing daily flights to both cities. In total, the SIA Group of airlines will be offering two daily flights to Bangalore and Chennai respectively.

The third most populous city in India, Bangalore is known as the ‘Silicon Valley of India’, being home to numerous software companies. One of Asia’s fastest growing cities, Bangalore’s other thriving industries include manufacturing and electronics.

Chennai, formerly known as Madras, has a diverse economic base anchored by the automobile, technology, hardware manufacturing and healthcare industries. It is also a city deeply steeped in traditional Tamil Hindu culture, and serves as a major centre for music, art and culture.

The two cities’ buoyant economic growth offers favourable prospects for business traffic and commercial cargo on SilkAir’s services, in addition to having great potential for attracting tourism and leisure traffic, with its many sights including World Heritage sites and historical and cultural attractions.

“SilkAir is very excited to introduce services to these two cities in India. We see good prospects for growth in air traffic to and from India, and are pleased to strengthen our presence in India with the addition of these two new points,” said SilkAir’s Chief Executive, Mr Chin Yau Seng.

SilkAir began operations to India in June 1999 and has steadily built up its Indian network over the years. With the addition of Bangalore and Chennai, SilkAir will fly to six points in the country. The other Indian destinations include Kochi (daily services), Hyderabad (daily services), Thiruvananthapuram (three times weekly services) and Coimbatore (three times weekly services)

SilkAir’s Services to Bangalore, India
    (From 17 May 2010)

MI428
    Daily
    SIN 2250hrs
    BLR 0045hrs + 1
    MI427
    Daily
    BLR 0130hrs
    SIN 0835hrs

SilkAir’s Services to Chennai, India
    (From 14 June 2010)

MI432
    SIN 1120hrs
    MAA 1255hrs
    MI431
    MAA 1345hrs
    SIN 2035hrs

MI436
    SIN 1345hrs
    MAA 1530hrs
    MI435
    MAA 1615hrs
    SIN 2245hrs
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

I foresee SQ cutting their BLR services as it makes no sense for them to operate flights at almost similar timings as MI.

My Travel Map

Comment

MI flying to MAA and BLR

Just read this report.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_502757.html

Is this a sign that SQ is moving out of this destinations soon ? I don't see why MI would be cannibalizing pax off its parents share. The SIN-MAA route has now become quite saturated with plenty of carriers offering choices that was previously unavailable.

Has anyone flown on SQ's flights to MAA and BLR recently to gauge its load factor to these destinations ?

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post

The introduction of these new services will complement Singapore Airlines’ existing daily flights to both cities. In total, the SIA Group of airlines will be offering two daily flights to Bangalore and Chennai respectively.
        These are additional flights.

The timings of the new MI MAA flights offers great connectivity onto SQ's evening Oz and asian flights. But I don't see the rational of the timings of the new BLR flights as it is almost similar in timing to SQ's BLR flights. Unless we might see some changes in schedule of SQ's BLR flights to daytime flights.

My Travel Map

Comment

I strongly foresee SQ flights to these cities will eventually be removed and given to Silkair to operate, just like Penang & Kuala Lumpur.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
            I strongly foresee SQ flights to these cities will eventually be removed and given to Silkair to operate, just like Penang & Kuala Lumpur.
            Not for BLR & MAA

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
              Not for BLR & MAA
              Wahaha, NickC, you think so?

Comment

It's about time SQ drop the BLR route. Flew it in JAN and the load was so light. Who knows, maybe Colombo is the next one to be given to MI
                Cabin Crew, takeoff stations...

Comment

Loads to India are some of the best in the route network considering except for the Bombay route there is absolutely no other competitor in the market, and friends who travel to Bangalore always comment on how expensive these flights are and they still go full, however timing may be a factor in their flights as they travel only during certain times, but yes, from the looks of it, I don't know about MAA but the BLR timings seem awfully close to SQ, maybe possibly it is looking at removing Air India out of the market, as they would have similar products, except for maybe JCL which Silkair would be better.

I also wonder about the prices, will they be the same as SQ or will they be charged accordingly less?

Edit: Just checked, it's not loaded in the booking engine of Silkair

Comment

Another theory could be with SQ's use of the retrofitted regional B772 to BLR and MAA, there would be a significant decrease in capacity offered and so MI is roped in to launch additional flights using their smaller planes to sustain the capacity on the routes while offering more frequencies for pax too.

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by spw21 View Post
                      It's about time SQ drop the BLR route. Flew it in JAN and the load was so light. Who knows, maybe Colombo is the next one to be given to MI
                      Really? I flew that route in February and it was full to the brim on both Y and C. I remember there was no empty seat on C at all. By transferring this flight totally to MI, SQ will lose its C revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by spw21 View Post
                        It's about time SQ drop the BLR route. Flew it in JAN and the load was so light.
                        Let me get this right. On the strength of a single flight you allegedly took that was quiet, the route should be dropped ?.

Comment

There is no way SQ will drop BLR. I'm from BLR and every time I'm on that flight, there's no empty seat. My dad flies it every month in F which is constantly full as well. In fact, SQ even had 2x daily flights to BLR sometime ago. A lot of people on this flight connect from SFO and the west coast of the US. TR and IC go packed as well. I believe BLR will be switched to the A330 sometime in May. They probably want MI to fly it because there is demand for another flight, although not as big as a 777.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                            Wahaha, NickC, you think so?
                            No thinking this time round.

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                              They probably want MI to fly it because there is demand for another flight, although not as big as a 777.
                              I think it's great for both SQ and MI to coserve the same destination. It doesn't have to always be one or the other.
                              Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Working...
                              X